Myst III Exile

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

melrose

Myst III Exile

Post by melrose »

I tried Myst III Exile with ScummVM 2.5 (Ubuntu 20.04) but no success. Whats going wrong? [same with The Longest Journey]

Console output:

<pre>WARNING: SDL mixer output buffer size: 512 differs from desired: 1024!
User picked target &apos;myst3-win-de&apos; (engine ID &apos;myst3&apos;, game ID &apos;myst3&apos;)...
Looking for a plugin supporting this target... Myst III
INFO: OpenGL Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
INFO: OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2)
INFO: OpenGL Version: 3.0 Mesa 21.0.3
INFO: OpenGL Red bits: 8
INFO: OpenGL Green bits: 8
INFO: OpenGL Blue bits: 8
INFO: OpenGL Alpha bits: 8
INFO: OpenGL Z buffer depth bits: 24
INFO: OpenGL Double Buffer: 1
INFO: OpenGL Stencil buffer bits: 8
INFO: GLEW Version: 2.1.0
INFO: GLSL version: 1.30
Initializing OpenGL Renderer with shaders
Could not open shader myst3_box.vertex!!
Debugger started, type &apos;exit&apos; to return to the game.
Type &apos;help&apos; to see a little list of commands and variables.
ERROR: Could not open shader myst3_box.vertex!!
</pre>
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Myst III Exile

Post by eriktorbjorn »

melrose wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:05 pm Initializing OpenGL Renderer with shaders
Could not open shader myst3_box.vertex!!
I don't have any experience running ScummVM from the Ubuntu packages, but from what I can tell the data files (including shaders) that ScummVM needs are installed in /usr/share/scummvm with a "shaders" sub-directory. But I would have assumed it would look there by default? Does it make any difference if you change the Extra Path setting (either from Options or Edit Game) to point to /usr/share/scummvm?
melrose

Post by melrose »

I compiled scummvm-2.5.0 from the sources and I don't use the Ubuntu packages that are installed in /usr/share/scummvm.
Running scummvm-2.2.0-GIT daily build or (outdated) residualvm Myst III and The Longest Journey both start without any problems.

Hmm...

But where is the myst3_box.vertex file located? Is it part of the Myst III original data?
melrose

Post by melrose »

O.K. the solution is to edit the game and override the global graphics settings and use OpenGL and NOT OpenGL with shaders.
But where is the shader myst3_box.vertex located?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

melrose wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:14 pm O.K. the solution is to edit the game and override the global graphics settings and use OpenGL and NOT OpenGL with shaders.
But where is the shader myst3_box.vertex located?
The file seems to be an engine data file, which is included with official ScummVM builds that support the game.
It's under engines/myst3/shaders in the source tree.

If you're building ScummVM locally then you need to include the distributed engine data files (same goes for theme files) either within the executable or in a folder where you'll point ScummVM in a Extra Path.

By the way, the snap package and the deb file both run Myst 3 without issues (at least at launch and first few screens) in OpenGL with Shaders mode on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 (I've just tested). No need to configure a special Extra Path for those releases.
kas1e

Post by kas1e »

@all
Build today scummvm with "OpenGL with shaders". And when i tried to run "myst3" i have :
"Could not open shader myst3_box.vertex!!"

So i find this one in the source of scummvm in engines/myst3/shaders/ and copy it for sae of tests to the Myst3 games directory i have: no luck the same error.
Then i create directory "shaders" in the root of scummvm installation and add this shaders directory to "extra patch" in the scummvm : nothing the same error.

Any other suggestions?

i also tried the win32 build - there all fine and i don't need to put any shaders anywhere. Probably win32 build done with PLUGIN_ENABLED_STATIC(MYST3) and shaders "compiled inside of the binary?