Help us test next ScummVM version

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Xolvix

Re: Help us test next ScummVM version

Post by Xolvix »

I've been testing the latest Windows nightly downloaded from the Buildbot (windows-x86-64-master-8c25108b.zip). Before that I was using another nightly I downloaded about three months ago (windows-x86-64-master-0ff7411a.zip).

Between the two releases, it seems like the file structure of the archives has changed considerably. Apart from the latest archives being considerably smaller (about 74 MB vs 121 MB), there's a lot of cleanup in that many of the additional game files (kyra.dat, lure.dat, etc) are no longer present in the latest versions. I was under the impression these small files were needed along with the actual datafiles of the games, so does that mean they're now integrated into the .exe's and the separate .dat files are superfluous? Or should I keep hold of them from an old archive just in case?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Xolvix wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:18 am Between the two releases, it seems like the file structure of the archives has changed considerably. Apart from the latest archives being considerably smaller (about 74 MB vs 121 MB), there's a lot of cleanup in that many of the additional game files (kyra.dat, lure.dat, etc) are no longer present in the latest versions. I was under the impression these small files were needed along with the actual datafiles of the games, so does that mean they're now integrated into the .exe's and the separate .dat files are superfluous? Or should I keep hold of them from an old archive just in case?
For the Windows builds we usually embed those data files in the executable, so they are not visible to the user, but are still found by ScummVM. However there was an issue causing the engine data files to be also copied alongside the executable, so in essence they were present twice. I think this might have been fixed with pul request #2999 that was merged on June 20 (so exactly 3 months ago).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I've played through the English DVD version of Myst III Exile with the 2.3 branch from three days ago. I don't know that much about the game (the next reviewer I find who says the puzzles are so, so easy can kiss my pasty white walkthrough!) but I didn't notice any obvious problems. The only minor thing I saw was that if there is a movie playing as part of the background in a set of rooms (e.g. turning gears and things like that), the transition when walking between the rooms will apparently cause a delay and the movie has to run quicker for it to catch up. It would perhaps be better if it skipped frames to catch up instead? I'll file a bug report about it.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

I'm starting a playthrough of The Longest Journey. I had some trouble finding the fonts that were missing for the Steam version and the Wiki instructions were a bit ambiguous, so I improved them in the hopes it will help others. I think it would be great if in the future the process of adding the missing fonts could be improved.

Every few minutes in Chapter 1 while walking around (not in a conversation), I get this message:
WARNING: The autosave slot has a saved game named Prologue. You can either move the existing save to a new slot, Overwrite the existing save, or cancel autosave (will not prompt again until restart)
My options are "Move", "Overwrite", and "Cancel autosave". When I try "Move", I get this
ERROR: Could not copy the savegame to a new slot
Clicking "Overwrite" the next time it came up did work, but that seems to have deleted my prologue automatically.

The scummvm.log doesn't record anything at all related to this interaction, which is frustrating, so I don't know what caused this or how I can reproduce it for a bug report.

EDIT: Finally figured out how to reproduce the bug and filed #12957.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

I wasn’t able to finish The Longest Journey before the testing phase was complete (I’ve never played it before and the game has more content than expected). Aside from the previously reported issue where the Autosave couldn’t move a file, I only noticed trivial bugs that probably existed in the original.

I noticed that Buried in Time is listed on the wiki as “Needs Retesting”. I did confirm that all the bugs I reported were correctly fixed by the PRs addressing them, but never did a full play through after my first one. It would have been nice if someone else could play through it themselves and perhaps find things I missed, but I guess that didn’t happen.
brunospr

Haiku 64bit R1 Beta 3 The longest Journey works completable

Post by brunospr »

With Haiku R1 Beta 3 TLJ +HD is complete-able and playable and fun. Only if you save the game... sometimes the Thumbnail of the saved game is missing.
But it still loads the saved game.

It is not now in HaikuDepot.

Use ResidualVM 0.4.0 from 3deyes to play the game now!
brunospr

Post by brunospr »

Grim Fandango from GOG (The remastered version) is not! working with ResidualVM or ScummVM.
Needs some adjustments.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

brunospr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:57 am Grim Fandango from GOG (The remastered version) is not! working with ResidualVM or ScummVM.
That's mentioned on the compatibility page for the game. (At least it is now. I don't know if it was updated recently or not.)
registradus

Post by registradus »

Hi, I'm about to start a playthrough of Discworld 2. Happy to test (on Mac OS 11.6). will let you know how it goes
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Sure!

As soon as Gingertip's "Foxtail: Chapter 4" comes out I'll gladly test it. It does work with Chapter 3.

The amazing thing is, using WINE I can get the Windows version of SCUMMVM running in Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid mode on the ancient Sony 2001 VAIO as well as in XP mode (as long as SwiftShader 2.1 is dropped into the SCUMMVM folder with the EXE file in both cases).

What's more all three versions- Windows Steam and GOG versions, as well as the GOG Linux versions- will all run!

This does indicate that as long as SCUMMVM runs on whatever device is being used then "Foxtail" should run too. Therefore the potential customer base for Gingertips has greatly increased.

Does SCUMMVM now run Nintendo DS games?
sarahedmonds

Post by sarahedmonds »

Tested Resonance (GOG version) on Scummvm pre-stable build. Game is playable from start to finish. nice