curse of monkey island disc 2

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jeri

curse of monkey island disc 2

Post by jeri »

i cant get disc two of the curse of monkey island to work
i placed the resource, la0,1,2 in a folder
and disc 1 worked fine, and then disc 2 started playing but it keeps saying language file is ignored!
so no voices play
pleaseee pleaseee if anyone can help me i would appreciate it

cheers
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: curse of monkey island disc 2

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jeri wrote:and then disc 2 started playing but it keeps saying language file is ignored!
so no voices play
I think the "Language file is forced to be ignored" message has to do with whether or not it will use the text messages from the language.tab file, i.e. it shouldn't affect the speech. As for the missing speech, I don't know... You did copy the voxdisk2.bun file, right?
jeri

Post by jeri »

thankyou so much eriktorbjorn
I got it working!
the file just wouldnt copy off of the second disc, but then when i tried it with another copy of the game, it worked fine!

cheers
LishaT92

Disc 2

Post by LishaT92 »

I get to the part of the game where i am told to insert disc 2...i have disc 2 in the drive and i copied all the files to the scumm folder just like i did the for disc 1. but it will not work. Help?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Did you copy them to the same folder as you did for disc 1? Don't worry about overwriting anything. If you copied and it didn't ask you to overwrite anything than you did it wrong.
RetroADV316

Post by RetroADV316 »

The ScummVM wiki explains that the following things should be copied from Disc 1 and Disc 2 into a single folder:

COMI.LA0 (file)
COMI.LA1 (file)
COMI.LA2 (file)
The RESOURCE folder from both Disc 1 and Disc 2

If you are asked if you want to merge folders, say yes. It doesn't matter whether you overwrite existing files with the same name.

I did all of the above steps, yet get this message when loading the game in ScummVM: "WARNING: Language file is forced to be ignored!" I'm not sure what that means...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

RetroADV316 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:47 am I did all of the above steps, yet get this message when loading the game in ScummVM: "WARNING: Language file is forced to be ignored!" I'm not sure what that means...
Apparently that message was added in 2007 to "allow non-english DIG and COMI to be set to English", and then removed in December 2020 because it "no longer works and actually causes slightly incorrect text display in COMI".

I'm guessing the warning is pretty harmless, and won't even be in the next release of ScummVM.
RetroADV316

Post by RetroADV316 »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:53 am
RetroADV316 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:47 am I did all of the above steps, yet get this message when loading the game in ScummVM: "WARNING: Language file is forced to be ignored!" I'm not sure what that means...
Apparently that message was added in 2007 to "allow non-english DIG and COMI to be set to English", and then removed in December 2020 because it "no longer works and actually causes slightly incorrect text display in COMI".

I'm guessing the warning is pretty harmless, and won't even be in the next release of ScummVM.
Thank you for your reply. I couldn't find any in-game option or menu to change the language, so I reckon any multilingual capabilities this game has must be set by a command line.

Anyway, despite the warning, the game, its music and sound, and all of its voice acting seemed to work find when I let the game run for 10 or so minutes in ScummVM.