Thousands of games needing testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EctoOne

Re: Thousands of games needing testing

Post by EctoOne »

I just double checked the King's Quest detection error I mentioned before and I was right. The AGDI and Infamous version's of kq3 are swapped. The detection however is correct, it's just their position in the table. But I also noticed that there is a separate entry for a different version of the Infamous game which also has an extra ID.

I also used the names from the official sources and this is my suggestion for the entrys:
(I have noted my ID changes and the separate entry as comments. Changing kq3redux to kg3agdiredux is probably unnecessary but I wanted to clarify that it is not the game by Infamous.)

Code: Select all

// AGDI games. They get their own grouping because they're just that awesome
	{ "kq1agdi", "King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown Remake" },
	{ "kq2agdi", "King's Quest II: Romancing the Stones Remake" },
	{ "kq3agdiredux", "King's Quest III Redux: To Heir is Human" }, // was kq3redux
	{ "qfg2agdi", "Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire Remake" },

// Infamous Adventures games. Likewise
	{ "sq2fg", "Space Quest for Glory" },
	{ "sq2vga", "Space Quest II - Vohaul's Revenge VGA Remake" },
	{ "kq3vga", "King's Quest III: To Heir is Human VGA Remake" }, // was kq3agdi

// AGDI games. They get their own grouping because they're just that awesome
	GAME_ENTRY("kq3agdiredux", "kq3redux.exe", "4c2ea3f7b4974509c59546ca8761b040", 11890197),  // 1.0 was kq3redux
	GAME_ENTRY("kq3agdiredux", "kq3redux.exe", "e569fb2ceabdc4a1609348c23ebc0821", 11986266),  // 1.1 was kq3redux

// Infamous Adventures games. Likewise
	GAME_ENTRY("kq3vga", "kq3.exe", "f120690b506dd63cd7d1112ea6af2f77", 4844298),  // 1.0 was kq3agdi
	GAME_ENTRY("kq3vga", "KQ3.exe", "f120690b506dd63cd7d1112ea6af2f77", 5883843),  // current version from the download site
I added the additional version (last line in the code block) so it should be fine to remove the following separate lines:

{ "kingsquest3", "Kings Quest III" },

GAME_ENTRY("kingsquest3", "KQ3.exe", "f120690b506dd63cd7d1112ea6af2f77", 5883843),
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

Hi again, I just finished adding some of the games from the archive and noticed some more wrong/incomplete game titles. But liked I said, it is currently not possible for me to use one of the mentioned ways to contribute my changes. I can provide a diff file and post it on pastebin or something like that if that's ok enough.

Another thing I noticed, is it normal that some games create an empty file called warnings.log in their game folders? Seems kind of weird to see that scummvm actually does something in a games folder.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

EctoOne wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:46 am Hi again, I just finished adding some of the games from the archive and noticed some more wrong/incomplete game titles. But liked I said, it is currently not possible for me to use one of the mentioned ways to contribute my changes. I can provide a diff file and post it on pastebin or something like that if that's ok enough.
It's not ideal, but a pastebin link to a diff would work.
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

dreammaster wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:53 pm
EctoOne wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:46 am Hi again, I just finished adding some of the games from the archive and noticed some more wrong/incomplete game titles. But liked I said, it is currently not possible for me to use one of the mentioned ways to contribute my changes. I can provide a diff file and post it on pastebin or something like that if that's ok enough.
Yeah sorry, I will try to figure something out. Since I also have found a bunch of games which don't have any entries yet, but I'm not confident enough to add those on my own. Anyway, here is the pastebin link. https://pastebin.com/KgyeiPmJ

It includes the changes for the King's Quest games I've mentioned, has more unified names/ids for Space Quest Mania and The Fan Game stuff. Otherwise it's mostly fixing game titles.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

EctoOne wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:13 pm
dreammaster wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:53 pm
Yeah sorry, I will try to figure something out. Since I also have found a bunch of games which don't have any entries yet, but I'm not confident enough to add those on my own. Anyway, here is the pastebin link. https://pastebin.com/KgyeiPmJ

It includes the changes for the King's Quest games I've mentioned, has more unified names/ids for Space Quest Mania and The Fan Game stuff. Otherwise it's mostly fixing game titles.
Thanks I have committed the change (there was an inconsistency between "kq3agdiredux" and "kq3agdi", which I fixed, but otherwise it was committed unchanged).
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

Ok, here is the list of undetected games I have found. All of them load fine with the fallback settings, so no pre2.5 error. But I have not really tested them.

An Alien's Work Is Never Done...

{"AWIND.exe", 0, "0710e2ec71042617f565c01824f0cf3c", 4460224},
Demonslayer 5

{"Dem5.exe", 0, "f3a13b2d6c2e0fe04c6f466062920e23", 2346338},
Doom - A Very Graphic Adventure

{"DoomGraphic.exe", 0, "0500aacb6c176d47ac0f8158f055db83", 2236047},
King's Quest for Orgy

{"KQ.exe", 0, "97d700529f5cc826f230c27acf81adfd", 1574600},
Maniac Apartment

{"Maniac apartmen.exe", 0, "465f972675db2da6040518221af5b0ba", 4806623},
Pussie Hunt

{"kittie.exe", 0, "03b4d6ed1b2f07082ff25367b6631da0", 4422335},
Space Quest - Planet of the Incredible Menace

{"sq_game.exe", 0, "3b7cceb3e4bdb031dc5d8f290936e94b", 2937151},
Space Quest - Visual Novel

{"ENG.exe", 0, "615e73fc1874e92d60a1996c2330ea36", 13629884},
Voodoo Dave and the Tablecloth Mystery

{"vdtm.exe", 0, "06a03fe35791b0578068ab1873455463", 4451423},
WAR STARS

{"MAGS.exe", 0, "3b7cceb3e4bdb031dc5d8f290936e94b", 2356146},

I've also found a special case in the archive. There are (at least) two different versions of Space Quest IV.5 with different speech.vox files. And their file names indicate that they have different voices.

1029.Space Quest IV.5 - Roger Wilco And The Voyage Home v3.00 [with Narrator AGP].zip

speech.vox:
Modified: 04/02/2010
Size: 114.6 MiB (120,155,042 bytes)
1029.Space Quest IV.5 - Roger Wilco And The Voyage Home v3.00 [with Narrator AL].zip

speech.vox:
Modified: 03/28/2010
Size: 120.9 MiB (126,797,480 bytes)
From the what I've seen, all of the other files are the same. So I don't know if it is possible to extend the detection of those versions or just ignore it and keep only one entry.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Thanks. I have now added the detection entries (but changed the title for a few of those to match the names I found in the AGS game database and the AGS forum - for example https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/s ... ual-novel/ has "Space Quest Visual Novel" without a dash).

For Space Quest IV.5 with two different speech.vox, we could include the speech.vox in the detection to differentiate them. But it seems to me that having a single detection for both is fine.
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

criezy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:43 pm Thanks. I have now added the detection entries (but changed the title for a few of those to match the names I found in the AGS game database and the AGS forum - for example https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/s ... ual-novel/ has "Space Quest Visual Novel" without a dash).

For Space Quest IV.5 with two different speech.vox, we could include the speech.vox in the detection to differentiate them. But it seems to me that having a single detection for both is fine.
Awesome, can't wait for the daily build.

As for Space Quest IV.5 its obviously totally up to you to decide and I would fully agree if there was only one version available on the AGS site (since that would probably be the first location where people get the games) but I just looked and they actually have both versions linked. So, I don't know. I personally don't care, because I probably will choose the version which I like better, but from a completionist point of view, I would like to have both detected individually. Yet again, I am fine with having a single detection.

Oh but I totally forgot to mention that the game is currently just detected as Space Quest 4.5 and I think it should be Space Quest IV.5 - Roger Wilco And The Voyage Home. Or replace the dash with colon to keep it consistent with the other SQ entries.

And again, I very much appreciate all the work and effort. Now I will probably shut up for a while and just play. :D
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

EctoOne wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:37 pm As for Space Quest IV.5 its obviously totally up to you to decide and I would fully agree if there was only one version available on the AGS site (since that would probably be the first location where people get the games) but I just looked and they actually have both versions linked. So, I don't know. I personally don't care, because I probably will choose the version which I like better, but from a completionist point of view, I would like to have both detected individually. Yet again, I am fine with having a single detection.
Even if there is only one detection entry, you can still add both to ScummVM as long as they are in a separate directory on disk (which you would need anyway to not overwrite the speech.vox file), and they should both work fine.
EctoOne wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:37 pm Oh but I totally forgot to mention that the game is currently just detected as Space Quest 4.5 and I think it should be Space Quest IV.5 - Roger Wilco And The Voyage Home. Or replace the dash with colon to keep it consistent with the other SQ entries.
Fixed
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

criezy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:03 pm Even if there is only one detection entry, you can still add both to ScummVM as long as they are in a separate directory on disk (which you would need anyway to not overwrite the speech.vox file), and they should both work fine.
But not at the same time or at least they will have the same name which needs to be edited manually if someone wants both versions.
That actually makes me wonder. From what I've seen so far, if an ID is already used and we add a different version, the ID will get some additional number. Which totally makes sense for various reasons, but in this case since it is "just" a different voice pack, would it be possible to use the same ID for different versions? So that both versions can use the same save files. Or is there a some other way to do that? On a PC I probably could use symlinks or something like that. Probably not useful for most of the games across all engines. I'm just curious.

And since I'm already here. I can also report that I just finished The Tale of Lonkey Island v1.2. And I have not seen any major issues. It sometimes felt slow, especially when there was a sound effect/music bound to scene. But that seems to be a general problem or at least one with the unoptimized daily builds. I use the Android ARM version to play.

Then there's the Wak-A-Rat mini game, which is the same as the one in Sam and Max Hit the Road. And I remember that I had issues with the game in Sam and Max but I can't remember what the problem actually was. In Lonkey Island, if you wait for the rat to pop up and then try to hit it, it will be a miss. It is more of a guessing game, hit the hole where you think the rat will show up. But I think it is the same pattern every time, so it is not impossible.

One other thing I noticed, was that the image for the chapters screen keeps switching to the German version when I selected English as language. But I have not played completely on English yet to see if it happens on the other chapter screens and I can't test if that happens on the standalone game.

But other than that, it seems completely fine. I wanted to play it for a while and I'm happy that I could do it now. It's a funny game and has a lot of sprites from various games. I really enjoyed it.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

You can have both at the same time, but you will indeed need to edit manually the description if you want to be able to differentiate them in the game list. Adding separate detection entries would not be enough to solve this though.

And we need unique IDs for each games added to ScummVM. One of the reason is that this is used to store the settings, such as the path to the data, in the scummvm.ini file. So using the same ID for two added games would mean they both point to the same data files. So you would need to manually rename the save files (or copy, or create symbolic links) if you want to use them with the other version of the game. On a side note this is not true for all the engines in ScummVM as some do not use the game ID to name the save files, but this is true for most of them, including AGS.
criezy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:03 pm I can also report that I just finished The Tale of Lonkey Island v1.2. And I have not seen any major issues. It sometimes felt slow, especially when there was a sound effect/music bound to scene. But that seems to be a general problem or at least one with the unoptimized daily builds. I use the Android ARM version to play.
Thanks. I have added that to https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=AGS/Games
senzo

Post by senzo »

Long time lurker, first time poster.. Hello!

Here is a list of 30 tested games, the data-files used, (gog, itch, steam, web), minutes played, how the game ran, and additional notes.

ags-games: A Golden Wake
data-file: a-golden-wake.exe
data-file: acsetup.cfg
data-file: audio.vox
data-file: speech.vox
ags-notes: gog, 30 minutes played, runs fine.

ags-games: A Tale of Two Kingdoms - Deluxe Edition
data-file: ATOTK.001
data-file: ATOTK.exe
data-file: Hungarian.tra
data-file: sound.vox
ags-notes: steam, 30 minutes played, runs fine.

ags-games: Ben Jordan Paranormal Investigator Case 1 - Deluxe Edition
data-file: BJ1Deluxe.exe
data-file: music.vox
ags-notes: web, 30 minutes played, runs fine.

ags-games: Ben Jordan Paranormal Investigator Case 2 - Deluxe Edition
data-file: BJ2Deluxe.exe
ags-notes: web, 30 minutes played, runs fine, detection issue.
ags-notes: unknown game variant (ags-fallback)
{"BJ2Deluxe.exe", 0, "18b284c22010850f79bc5c20054a70c4", 7055507}

ags-games: Ben Jordan Paranormal Investigator Case 3
data-file: BJ3.exe

ags-games: Ben Jordan Paranormal Investigator Case 4
data-file: BJ4.exe

ags-games: Ben Jordan Paranormal Investigator Case 5
data-file: BJ5.exe

ags-games: Ben Jordan Paranormal Investigator Case 6
data-file: BJ6.exe

ags-games: Ben Jordan Paranormal Investigator Case 7
data-file: BJ7.exe

ags-games: Ben Jordan Paranormal Investigator Case 8
data-file: Dat folder, 21 .dat files (benh1.dat, benh2.dat, etc..)
data-file: BJ8.exe
ags-notes: unknown game variant (ags-fallback)
{"BJ8.exe", 0, "98df40b0885b4e5f90f1093987f1f56c", 28334295}

ags-games: The Blackwell Legacy
data-file: blackwell1.001 to blackwell1.002
data-file: blackwell1.exe
data-file: prog.bwl
ags-notes: I wish this was listed as: Blackwell 1: Legacy

ags-games: Blackwell Unbound
data-file: prog.bwu
data-file: Unbound.001 to Unbound.002
data-file: Unbound.exe
ags-notes: I wish this was listed as: Blackwell 2: Unbound

ags-games: Blackwell Convergence
data-file: Convergence.exe
data-file: prog.bwc
ags-notes: I wish this was listed as: Blackwell 3: Convergence

ags-games: Blackwell Deception
data-file: Deception.exe
data-file: prog.bwd
ags-notes: gog, 5 minutes played, runs slow.
ags-notes: I wish this was listed as: Blackwell 4: Deception

ags-games: Blackwell Epiphany
data-file: epiphany.exe
ags-notes: I wish this was listed as: Blackwell 5: Epiphany

ags-games: Chronicle of Innsmouth
data-file: ChronicleOfInnsmouth.exe
data-file: Easy.dat
data-file: English.tra
data-file: French.tra
data-file: German.tra
data-file: Italian.tra
data-file: Italiano.tra
data-file: Logo.ogv
data-file: Spanish.tra
data-file: swn.dat
ags-notes: itch, 30 minutes played, runs fine.

ags-games: Gemini Rue
data-file: Gemini Rue.exe

ags-games: Heroine's Quest
data-file: Heroine's Quest.001
data-file: Heroine's Quest.exe
data-file: Hungarian.tra
data-file: Italian.tra
data-file: Russian.tra
data-file: Spanish.tra

ags-games: If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers
data-file: ioawn4t.exe

ags-games: Kathy Rain
data-file: Deutsch.tra
data-file: Francais.tra
data-file: KathyRain.exe

ags-games: King's Quest 1 AGDI
data-file: Kq1vga.001 to Kq1vga.006
data-file: Kq1vga.exe
ags-notes: agdi, 30 minutes played, runs fine.

ags-games: King's Quest 2 AGDI
data-file: intro.dat
data-file: Kq2vga.001 to Kq2vga.012
data-file: Kq2vga.exe
data-file: sk.dat

ags-games: King's Quest 3 Redux AGDI
data-file: Awards.025
data-file: int.dat
data-file: Kq3Redux.001 to Kq3Redux.006
data-file: Kq3Redux.exe
ags-notes: status window complains Awards.025 is missing after install.
ags-notes: created an empty Awards.025 file to stop the complaining.

ags-games: Lamplight City
data-file: sync folder, 4203 .pam files (addy1101.pam, addy1102.pam, etc..)
data-file: German.tra
data-file: Lamplight City.exe

ags-games: Primordia
data-file: Primordia.exe

ags-games: Quest for Glory 2 AGDI
data-file: Qfg2vga.001 to Qfg2vga.011
data-file: Qfg2vga.exe

ags-games: Resonance
data-file: data.100
data-file: Resonance.exe

ags-games: Shardlight
data-file: Shardlight.exe
ags-notes: gog, 30 minutes played, runs fine, detection issue.
ags-notes: Shardlight Unknown variant
{"shardlight.exe", 0, "ee801fba52d252249677a9170bd2db96", 642142591},

ags-games: Technobabylon
data-file: Technobabylon.exe

ags-games: Unavowed
data-file: Unavowed.exe
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Thanks for testing. Every bit helps.

As an update, I'm currently in the middle of bringing in the latest version of the AGS stand-alone to update the ScummVM engine, since it contains a bunch of bug fixes that our version doesn't.. the standalone was also updated too much for us to be able to incrementally apply all their changes to our version. So apologies that I'm not currently replying to any bug reports. Rest assured though, that any are appreciated, and once I've got the new version up and running in ScummVM, working my way through the bug list will be a priority.
senzo

Post by senzo »

Here is a list of 10 tested games, the data-files used, (gog, itch, steam, web), minutes played, how the game ran, and additional notes.

ags-games: Devochka Quest
data-file: DevochkaQuest.exe
ags-notes: steam, 5 minutes played, runs slow.

ags-games: Dustbowl
data-file: Dustbowl.exe

ags-games: Feria d'Arles
data-file: Feria d'Arles.exe
ags-notes: Feria d'Arles Unknown variant (feriadarles, ags-fallback)
{"feria d'arles.exe", 0, "6a3291595263debd129e1e2064baeea5", 275659086},

ags-games: Football Game
data-file: Football Game.exe
ags-notes: steam, 10 minutes played, runs slow.
ags-notes: Football Game Unknown variant (footballgame, ags-fallback)
{"football game.exe", 0, "8283bcdb6ec07ec4a4040ef34215ec96", 164960522},

ags-games: Legend of Hand
data-file: Legend of Hand.001 to Legend of Hand.002
data-file: Legend of Hand.exe
ags-notes: steam, 5 minutes played, runs slow.
ags-notes: Legend of Hand Unknown variant (legendofhand, ags-fallback)
{"legend of hand.exe", 0, "fc478dd7564c908615c9366398d995c8", 75797155},

ags-games: Metal Dead
data-file: MetalDead.exe
ags-notes: steam, 2 minutes played, runs very slow.
ags-notes: Metal Dead Unknown variant (metaldead, ags-fallback)
{"metaldead.exe", 0, "3b0874c12fa643efa5fcdc43f647c871", 1501335400},

ags-games: Metaphobia
data-file: Metaphobia.exe

ags-games: Mudlarks
data-file: Mudlarks.exe
ags-notes: web, 2 minutes played, runs very slow.

ags-games: Quest for Infamy v1.1
data-file: PlayTime.dat
data-file: qfi.dat
data-file: QFI.exe 
ags-notes: status window complains qfi.dat is missing after install.
ags-notes: created an empty qfi.dat file to stop the complaining.

ags-games: Zniw Adventure
data-file: static folder, 32 sub folders, 123 .cdf files
data-file: CTGAME.001 to CTGAME.007
data-file: CTGAME.exe
data-file: Polish.tra
data-file: cavefire_en.ogv
data-file: cavefire_pl.ogv
data-file: endcut.ogv
data-file: endcut_pl.ogv
data-file: intro_a.ogv
data-file: intro_a_pl.ogv
data-file: intro_b.ogv
data-file: keyget.ogv
data-file: landpad.ogv
data-file: opencut.ogv
data-file: outro_a.ogv
data-file: outro_b.ogv
data-file: outro_c.ogv
data-file: outro_d.ogv
data-file: prison.ogv
data-file: pterofly.ogv
data-file: riverbank.ogv
data-file: unesc.ogv
data-file: waterfall.ogv
ags-notes: steam, 2 minutes played, runs very slow. 
ags-notes: Zniw Adventure Unknown variant (zniwadventure, ags-fallback)
{"ctgame.exe", 0, "8a2d48ee8d92bad3c5cacd8b883c5871", 100010235},
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

I have an unknown variant for King's Quest IV Retold which was recently added with the ID kq4retold.

This is the Windows version 1.0. 2 from the AGS homepage:

{"KQ4Retold.exe", 0, "da6140c1e246d5f7641464bda80c45d5", 293710098},
That also brings up a smaller question. Are all platform variants equally supported? I'm talking about Windows, Linux and Mac versions of the games, not scummvm.

Because I can add the Linux and Mac versions as well to Scummvm and they start up at least.
The Linux variant is:

{"King's Quest 4.ags", 0, "e9e8f833b86874526cb5e356d1e287eb", 145563043},
(Note: The filename of the download says version 1.0.2 but the title screen and game menu shows version 1.0.0)

The Mac variant (version 1.0.2) is:

{"ac2game.dat", 0, "da6140c1e246d5f7641464bda80c45d5", 293710098},
It would be good to know if the support is the same, so that those variants can be reported. I know that I have seen some games for different Systems but I obviously didn't care about anything else other than the windows versions.

Edit: fixed version numbers
Last edited by EctoOne on Wed May 19, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.