scummvm.ini in ScummVM root dir

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dariwonka

Re: scummvm.ini in ScummVM root dir

Post by dariwonka »

Dark-Star wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:55 pm
invwar wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:06 pm Sure, but ScummVM is since years not anymore a portable software per se. The Windows Installer is the official preferred method. But I definitely would also like to have the "Zipfile" version declared as fully portable.
ScummVM is perfectly portable. You just need the EXE file and some DLLs. Even better: If you compile it yourself you can get a single EXE file that runs without any DLLs at all, this is how I've been setting up a portable version of ScummVM.

The installer is just convenience, no system files or anything else needs to be "installed" outside the ScummVM install dir.
But what about the .ini file in the scummvm directory? It wont be read unless you start scummvm with a .bat file calling the .ini file too.

Without that possibility, scummvm is not fully portable
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

That's correct, the scummvm.ini file is stored in the %APPDATA% directory on Win32 or inside the user's home directory on Linux. In order to have a fully portable version, we'd have to implement something like "if there's a local scummvm.ini in the same folder as the executable, then run this, otherwise, use the proper configuration location instead".
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

rootfather wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 pm That's correct, the scummvm.ini file is stored in the %APPDATA% directory on Win32 or inside the user's home directory on Linux. In order to have a fully portable version, we'd have to implement something like "if there's a local scummvm.ini in the same folder as the executable, then run this, otherwise, use the proper configuration location instead".
Correct, that's exactly what was suggested in this thread to make ScummVM fully portable (i.e. without needing a bat file).

All other aspects are already portable (i.e. no system DLL installation required, relative paths are supported in the INI file, etc.)
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

rootfather wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 pm That's correct, the scummvm.ini file is stored in the %APPDATA% directory on Win32 or inside the user's home directory on Linux. In order to have a fully portable version, we'd have to implement something like "if there's a local scummvm.ini in the same folder as the executable, then run this, otherwise, use the proper configuration location instead".
I remembered the installation of Total Commander:
Attachments
tcmd.png
tcmd.png (10.65 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

WindlePoons wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:58 pm
I remembered the installation of Total Commander:
I think this would be making it overly complicated for the 99% of users that don't care about a portable installation. Also, this setting itself must be stored somewhere, Total Commander uses the registry for it, which would again run counter to the "portable app" idea....
invwar

Post by invwar »

Dark-Star wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:07 pm I think this would be making it overly complicated for the 99% of users that don't care about a portable installation. Also, this setting itself must be stored somewhere, Total Commander uses the registry for it, which would again run counter to the "portable app" idea....
That's why you usually hide such an option in an advanced setup option on the first Next button/install dir selection on the Installer. 99% will just click through everything, but if you are interested, you can choose. I agree, Installer should be straight forward for easy use.
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

invwar wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:00 amThat's why you usually hide such an option in an advanced setup option on the first Next button/install dir selection on the Installer. 99% will just click through everything, but if you are interested, you can choose. I agree, Installer should be straight forward for easy use.
Correct.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

You're missing the point:
* portable apps don't use an installer, which is the whole point of a portable app. So there is no way to somehow set that setting
* if you add such an option to an installer, you are suddenly relying on the registry (or some other system-global option store), which is also something that you want to avoid for a portable application
invwar

Post by invwar »

It's true, that portable apps don't need to use an installer. But unfortunately, most of the portable apps I am downloading actually use an installer. I don't know why, but it seems like its also quite common for portable apps. And I agree, I am also irritated because of this, as I don't want to install all apps and these installer are not even zip compatible most of the time.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

I think we can all agree that an installer for a portable application is pretty much useless.

_If_ we ever consider implementing a portable mode, then it'll be a simple .zip archive with either a special .ini file to trigger the portable mode or a configuration parameter at compilation time.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Would it help if there was a launcher option in "MISC" (together with the pathes) to choose where and what scummvm.ini file to use?

I know it could lead to a catch-22 having the location and file(name) of the .ini file inside the .ini file itself, but it would be really conveniant to not use the console to start ScummVM with different (test) .inis.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Raziel wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:11 pm Would it help if there was a launcher option in "MISC" (together with the pathes) to choose where and what scummvm.ini file to use?

I know it could lead to a catch-22 having the location and file(name) of the .ini file inside the .ini file itself, but it would be really conveniant to not use the console to start ScummVM with different (test) .inis.
I'm not sure, I have the strong feeling that this might be very, VERY confusing. I think the location for the .ini file itself should be fixed (unless overridden by the command line) or live inside the same directory as the ScummVM executable, if we consider a hypothetical portable mode.