Thousands of games needing testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Thousands of games needing testing

Post by Raziel »

@Alien_Grey

Do you also have the Sierra logo mirrored, with a small version at the bottom front left, which is animated, while the big one in the background is not?

Looks wrong
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Raziel wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:03 am If, as a stop-gap solution, the debug output from ScummVM could help?
gdb (or any other debugger, for that matter) is out of the question (for now) on my platform.
I honestly don't know what debug output the engine has. Even if it has little, it wouldn't be too hard to put in debug/channels for script execution, etc. that may make it easier to compare in the near future. Unless someone else wants to take care of it, that's something I could look into once work on the more egregious bugs die down.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@dreammaster

Thank you very much.
I'll stand by
Kirtai

Post by Kirtai »

criezy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 am POSIXFilesystemNode::getChild assert
I played a good chunk of Blackwell 4, and I have not encountered the issue yet. I created https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/12416 to track the issue so that we do not forget about this and can continue investigating. If you have more information about the issue, such as a savegame near the place where it crashes for you, it would be good to add those to the bug ticket.
On further testing, I've found that all of the following crash with this error when I press F12 whenever they are not playing a video. It works at the menu screen and during gameplay.
  • Blackwell 1-5
    Primordia
    Technobabylon
The following don't crash on pressing F12.
  • Gemini Rue
    Heroine's Quest
    Kathy Rain
    Resonance
Shardllight crashes on F12 when in game but not at the start menu.

This is all on Kubuntu 20.10.
I noticed it because my pull down console is bound to F12. Removing this doesn't prevent the crash.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Kirtai wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:21 pm On further testing, I've found that all of the following crash with this error when I press F12 whenever they are not playing a video. It works at the menu screen and during gameplay.
Thank you! Knowing that, this was easy to reproduce, and that will help a lot to fix it.

Edit: And this is now fixed. This happened when trying to save a screenshot. I would recommend using the ScumVM shortcut for the screenshot as the AGS one does not include all elements in the image. But at least it should not crash and produce an image now.
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

Raziel wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 am @Alien_Grey

Do you also have the Sierra logo mirrored, with a small version at the bottom front left, which is animated, while the big one in the background is not?

Looks wrong
Same issue here. I can compare it to the standalone AGS version and it's wrong. The small image at the bottom with Roger going through the time hole is also wrong. The game stops working just before Roger should go to talk to the police guys.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Alien_Grey

Ah, thanks for confirming.

For me the game runs fine until the police arrest the drunk and after that only one of them is standing around.
I can't walk anywhere at this point, but I can do anything else (look, talk, taste etc.)
Kirtai

Post by Kirtai »

criezy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 pm
Kirtai wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:21 pm On further testing, I've found that all of the following crash with this error when I press F12 whenever they are not playing a video. It works at the menu screen and during gameplay.
Thank you! Knowing that, this was easy to reproduce, and that will help a lot to fix it.

Edit: And this is now fixed. This happened when trying to save a screenshot. I would recommend using the ScumVM shortcut for the screenshot as the AGS one does not include all elements in the image. But at least it should not crash and produce an image now.
I tested it and none of them crashed. Great job :)
I'll add a note to the bug report.

I'm not bothered about the AGS screenshots and would prefer to disable them. I have F12 bound to a drop down commandline instead, which is why I kept using it :)
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

Raziel wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:01 pm @Alien_Grey

Ah, thanks for confirming.

For me the game runs fine until the police arrest the drunk and after that only one of them is standing around.
I can't walk anywhere at this point, but I can do anything else (look, talk, taste etc.)
Exactly the same issue. We're not supposed to do anything till Roger gets out of the bar.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Alien Grey

But i am out of the Bar.

I'm standing underneath the mallard behind the remaining policeman...actually I never was in the bar
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

That's why I said that the game stops working when Roger should go talk to the police. The game animation should go on till Roger gets out of the bar. This game can't be played with the ScummVM AGS engine. Other fan made Space Quest games do sseem to run fine. I had no issues so far except for running a bit slow.
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

have a look at the Space Quest IV.5 intro video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_rjYD1Z9T8 to know how it's supposed to be running.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Alien Grey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:30 am have a look at the Space Quest IV.5 intro video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_rjYD1Z9T8 to know how it's supposed to be running.
OK, so loloking at this video i can see that none of the characters are moving (they are animated, but they don't change position) anyway.
i.e. the drunk guy keeps on "dancing" in front of the bar, the policemen never walk away, one of them is teleported away later (probably by the scripts), the other one stays at the same position, Roger never walks in front of the mallard or towards the bar.
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

Space Quest IV.5 Roger Wilco And The Voyage Home V3.00 is broken with the ScummVM AGS engine.

Already finished playing Space Quest II - Vohaul's Rebenge VGA Remake by Infamous Advenbtures and A Son of Xenon - A Space Quest Prequel by Boston McShew (aka Leisure Suit Harry). :)
EctoOne

Post by EctoOne »

First, thanks for implementing the ags engine.

Now for a question. Am I correct in the assumption that the detection details are mostly based on the versions which are included in the agsarchive torrent (or similar collection)?

I'm asking because I had some problems with some game's which I recently got from the ags website directly. And after I've decided to get some versions from the archive, the issues were gone.

An example would be The Tale of Lonkey Island (short: lonkey.exe). It seems that the version from the archive is an older one. Sorry, I tried to figure out which version exactly but I wasn't able to find that information. The currently available version on the ags website is 1.2.https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/s ... ey-island/

Which is recognized as:

Code: Select all

The game in 'lonkey' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Matched game IDs for the ags engine: lonkeyisland

{"lonkey.exe", 0, "4e92c6db88a34b62eef37a621aabfb53", 44114957},

But even after adding it anyway, no game files can be found.

Something else I want to mention about that particular game. I currently just gets recognized as: Lonkey Island.
But if it is possible, I think it should be: The Tale of Lonkey Island.
That's what the title screen says and after all it is a parody of The Secret of Monkey Island.

Another thing to mention is that the default language is German. It has English and Italian translation files (at version 1.2 has Italian). But I don't know if that is something which can be be determined by the detection table.

Some smaller mentions which I still have in mind:
When The Shaft was added, I noticed a type in the detection table. I'm not sure anymore, but it was something like thehsaft. Hopefully that helps.

One of the King's Quests game is missing the ' and the full title compared to the other ones.

And I believe the detection for Leisure Suit Larry 2 Point and Click is mixed up. Firstly, I'm not sure if a normal Remake of that game exists. I've only seen the Point and Click version. But, again, the archive version simply gets recognized as a lsl2remake and IIRC the version from the website let's us choose between remake and point and click (or it adds both when using mass add) but selecting point and click will end in error.

Regarding Zak2. I understand that it is not supported because of some additional plugin. But the detection table also counts THE FAN GAME - ZAK MCKRACKEN : A MANSION, A METEOR AND THE ALIEN MINDBENDERS as unsupported. But I think those are different games. I have not played them, so I am not sure, but THE FAN GAME - ZAK MCKRACKEN : A MANSION, A METEOR AND THE ALIEN MINDBENDERS does not have the plugin in the download. It can be found here: https://danielespadoni82.blogspot.com/2 ... eteor.html

Speaking of The Fan Game. It seems one game is completely missing. https://danielespadoni82.blogspot.com/2 ... onies.html

That was it so far. And I apologize if this is not the best way to report such things, but I'm currently not prepared to use github or whatever else.