Broken Sword 1 on Archos 5it

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

steve_skittles

Broken Sword 1 on Archos 5it

Post by steve_skittles »

I recently got a archos 5 and im trying to get broken sword working on it. The game itself works fines however theres no ingame voices. Cutscenes have audio and voice but no ingame. The background sounds are fine but george wont talk. Iv read i need to rename the speech files but they were already named SPEECH1 and SPEECH2. But the extensions they have is .clf and on the datafiles page its says rename them SPEECH1.clu

Any ideas?

Edit: Same with Full throttle, videos have voices in game has none
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Just buy the real things, not download them. Software piracy is not tolerated here.

Eugene
kblood

Post by kblood »

sev wrote:Just buy the real things, not download them. Software piracy is not tolerated here.

Eugene
And why would his version be pirated? At the moment there seems to be more than a few versions of each game. The Steam one, the GoG one, GamersGate probably has different versions as well...

And then there is a special edition of Broken Sword 1.

My ScummVM version of the game has sound files named speech1.clv and speech2.clv. Maybe you are running the Special edition version? I got it recently through GoG, and steam also has it now, but I havent tried it yet. I am guessing the special edition is not using ScummVM?

If its true you do not have the real game, I would suggest getting it here:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/broken_s ... ectors_cut

$4,10 and the game is very much worth it. Its a Christmas offer though, so be quick :wink: They have the first 3 games each at that price.

Only problem probably is it wont work with ScummVM. I am not sure because I havent tried that yet, but I expect they changed something so ScummVM does not support it anymore.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

kblood wrote:And why would his version be pirated?
Because it is :) Common sense dictates it, from what is mentioned in the OP's post
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

kblood wrote:If its true you do not have the real game, I would suggest getting it here:
I don't think the director's cut will work with ScummVM though.
steve_skittles

Post by steve_skittles »

Just to clarify i own Broken Sword 1 on the Ps1 and have full throttle from the MS-DOS days. People assume too quickly.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

steve_skittles wrote:Just to clarify i own Broken Sword 1 on the Ps1 and have full throttle from the MS-DOS days. People assume too quickly.
So your original copies contained already compressed files from ScummVM tools?
kblood

Post by kblood »

md5 wrote:
steve_skittles wrote:Just to clarify i own Broken Sword 1 on the Ps1 and have full throttle from the MS-DOS days. People assume too quickly.
So your original copies contained already compressed files from ScummVM tools?
As I read it, he already tried following the instructions this website provide. I do agree that voice COULD be missing in a pirated version because the pirated version had them removed, but that just sounds like an assumption to me.

I am still wondering why no one is just saying how he is supposed to make the original sound files from PS1 or PC in Broken Sword work with ScummVM? Like what file names are they supposed to have, are they compressed correctly and so on, because that is a bit of a jungle as I remember it. I just do not remember if I had to compress voice files for this game, but video sure was a bit tricky to get working.
LordHoto wrote:
kblood wrote:If its true you do not have the real game, I would suggest getting it here:
I don't think the director's cut will work with ScummVM though.
Yea, I wrote that as well. The remake is probably using a different engine than the original. If anyone know where its still possible to get the original Broken Sword 1, then a link for that would probably be helpful. Because GoG does not have it.

I guess some people will just have to wait for the game to be made for Android as well? I think the remake already got ported to iOS.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

kblood wrote:As I read it, he already tried following the instructions this website provide. I do agree that voice COULD be missing in a pirated version because the pirated version had them removed, but that just sounds like an assumption to me.
He said his copy had files named "speech1.clf" and "speech2.clf". These are compressed speech files, and already renamed - the original CDs both have a "speech.clu" file each. Read this again:
Iv read i need to rename the speech files but they were already named SPEECH1 and SPEECH2. But the extensions they have is .clf and on the datafiles page its says rename them SPEECH1.clu
This does not sound like he used any tools or copied any file. He just took the files like they are. We don't assume anything, that's what was mentioned, i.e. this is a pirated version, the files were already compressed, and he didn't know why. There are no assumptions here.
kblood wrote:but video sure was a bit tricky to get working.
It no longer is, as the original videos are supported now.
kblood

Post by kblood »

Yea, it does sound like he used a pirated version. If he has a special version like a playstation one if that exists, then he must ask a more specific question like its a pc version og PS version. It is amazing how many version of the real Scumm games this engine supports, because as far as I know it does support both Amiga and the Playstation version of some games. As well as emulators for them.
kblood wrote:but video sure was a bit tricky to get working.
It no longer is, as the original videos are supported now.[/quote]

Even on Android? And I thought the other video files was different, so they could be compressed and use less space?

But yea, I might have misunderstood it, but when running the games on Android all I need is the original video files as well then? It just says mpeg2 are no longer supported. I guess I might as well just try it and find out.
steve_skittles

Post by steve_skittles »

Apologies, i thought if i already owned a version of a game it was ok to download a copy. Iv actually got three copies of Broken Sword. What version would be the best to use? Iv the original Ps1 disk, a version that was released on a label called replay and then a Broken Sword trilogy edition which i think is pretty new.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

steve_skittles wrote:What version would be the best to use? Iv the original Ps1 disk, a version that was released on a label called replay and then a Broken Sword trilogy edition which i think is pretty new.
At least for Broken Sword 1, the graphics don't look as good in the PlayStation version as they do in the Windows version.
steve_skittles

Post by steve_skittles »

Ok so i got the audio working using the files from the replay edition of the game. Is there a way to save the game though? when i go into the menu the save and load options are greyed out
kblood

Post by kblood »

http://www.gog.com/en/news/original_bro ... _edition/0

That trilogy probably is not the GoG one, but they just added the original Broken Sword 1 to the Directors Cut Edition.

Seems like that saves me time from digging through my CD and DVD collection. All my old (classic) games have been boxed, and thought I would not need them again. Seems the original video would be nice to have.

But other than that, the save and load is grayed out? Is that the ScummVM menu then? Because I can select save and load in that menu. I am using a modified ScummVM for Android though. The version that was made for devices like my Samsung Galaxy S which does not have enough buttons to be able to get the keyboard up, or use a ball mouse. The "mouse look" function in it is awesome.
Lan

Post by Lan »

I never realised that PS1 versions were supported in Scummvm... i should dig out by Broken sword 1 for PS1 one day... have discworld 1 too somewhere but I think i played that too much and the disc got all scratched up