Authentic or Bootleg?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ScummMan

Authentic or Bootleg?

Post by ScummMan »

I just purchased a copy of The Dig from an Amazon.com zShop, and I'm having doubts that it's an authentic copy. I was hoping that someone here could help me out with this matter. Surprisingly, the product came packaged in a DVD case, which I know where not existent in 1995. More surprising, however, is the fact that a Windows interpreter was included on the CD. Also, the DOS interpreter version is 8.0.0, which is not even on record for The Dig. In addition, it is worth noting that a number of files do not follow the standard eight character format. The manual is included on the CD as The Dig (Manual Inside).pdf. Upon inquiry, the zShop reported that this was an import from the UK, and delivered from Canada.

Most suspicious of all, though, is the disc information, as reported by Nero InfoTool.

File Systems: ISO9660, Joliet
Title: TheDig
Date: 13 November 2002
Publisher: n/a
Application: EASY CD CREATOR 4.2 (285) COPYRIGHT
Arkenholt

Post by Arkenholt »

IIRC The Dig was re-released a few years back in the UK in DVD style packaging, there was also a re-release of DOTT and Sam'n'max in a bundle. Chances are it's legit! If you can post a link to a photo of the packaging I could probably confirm it for you...!
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

This sounds like the "LucasArts Classic" re-release that I have too, which is an official/authentic release.
clem

Post by clem »

about the windows interpreter:

http://aarongiles.com/scumm/index.html
plop

Re: Authentic or Bootleg?

Post by plop »

ScummMan wrote:Application: EASY CD CREATOR 4.2 (285) COPYRIGHT
That looks odd to me, since EasyCD is a consumer product. I never thought that large companies would use it too.
Sordid_the_sorceror

bootleg?

Post by Sordid_the_sorceror »

Just checked my Lucasarts classic uk copy and got excatley the same results. I guess Lucasarts used EASY CD CREATOR 4.2, cheapskates!
ScummMan

Post by ScummMan »

joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Yes, that's the one I was talking about. It's legit.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

I have a version of COMI that seems to be from the same distributor, but my fears were allieviated when i saw the case at Mix'n'mojo. i think the european version of full throttle i bought recently is also from the same place.