ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > Supressing the console window Goto page Previous  1, 2
Supressing the console window
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
md5
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by Collector
quote:
Originally posted by md5
Actually, there has been a long discussion concerning this on IRC. Some experimental code has been committed by m_kiewitz, but it's still open to discussion, so it has been reopened
So I am assuming that it was still rejected after the discussion.

The discussion hasn't ended yet, it's here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Windows/Console
Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 am 
Collector

Thanks

Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:01 pm 
KuroShiro

I've been following the discussion a bit, and I wanted to say that as a user who does do a fair bit of release testing to try to help you out, a log file would be *extremely* useful, much more so than a persistent cmd.exe in Windows.

The only issue I can see with having one is that it might get pretty large quickly with the amount of debug messages certain engines spit out. Maybe have an option to turn logging off, or to only enable it for critical errors rather than just warnings?

Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:18 am 
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Location: A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but it was said two posts above that the discussion hasn't ended, so... Smile

I also don't think switching it off completely is a good idea, but i would vote (if there was a vote) for a switch or even an option in the launcher to use either use the console or a logfile.

User(s) start to ask where to get rid of that extra window Smile

Thank you

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:30 pm 
Kirben
ScummVM Developer

Why bump such an old topic? changes were made, and the discussion is out of date

There is already a command line option (--console) and config option (console) to disable the console window under Windows.

ScummVM is offered with and without the console window, via the Start Menu, when using the installer too.

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:32 am 
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Hi Kirben,

like i said, the discussion is still up and i don't see a conclusion anywhere, so for me it's still up for discussion.

You are correct, Windows already has many options to suppress or circumvent the console window, i know that before posting my initial question, but didn't put it in my post, sorry.

Yet, i don't use ScummVM in Windows (neither do the people i port the software for) and i won't tell them that they have to buy and use a windows machine to make ScummVM get rid of the console window. Wink

So, my question still stands...are there plans to introduce a log *file* option for (non-Windows) ScummVM?

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:57 am 
Kirben
ScummVM Developer

The discussion above, was specific to the console window in the Windows port only. The console window was made optional, and logging was added in the Windows port as a result.

It sounds like you want the option of logging (rather than console window) on other platform(s), which is a separate issue. It would be best to add a feature request, in more detail, for that specific platform. Or maybe even offer a patch via pull request, if you know exactly what you want code wise.

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:56 am 
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Ah, ok.

I thought the discussion was general.

Got it

Thank you

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:54 pm 
Reply to topic