ScummVM 1.2.0 for Android?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

gus wrote:
lbds137 wrote:Now that I switched to CM 6.1 Stable with one of the default themes, ScummVM runs on my DROID. The only problem I have now is that Beneath a Steel Sky crashes the app a few seconds into the game's intro. It always crashes at the same predictable spot, so I think it's something specific to the app and not my phone's environment. I was able to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle with no problems whatsoever.
It crashes during the intro? I don't have a CM 6.1 device, but I can certainly test that easily enough.
I heard that the official ScummVM Android port is using OpenGL (ES) for graphics output. It might be that the Android OpenGL implementation suffers from the same problem as the WIP/new OpenGL backend in the latest ScummVM development version: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=418820
clashfan

Post by clashfan »

gus wrote:...I'm holding off on updating the version on the market until I incorporate the patch to improve this fwiw.
Do you know when you will be updating the version on android market?
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

LordHoto wrote:I heard that the official ScummVM Android port is using OpenGL (ES) for graphics output. It might be that the Android OpenGL implementation suffers from the same problem as the WIP/new OpenGL backend in the latest ScummVM development version: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=418820
Oh awesome, that's exactly what it will be. I had (erroneously) assumed that ScummVM engines - and hence updateScreen - were single-threaded. Now to fix it without introducing too much latency ...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

gus wrote:
LordHoto wrote:I heard that the official ScummVM Android port is using OpenGL (ES) for graphics output. It might be that the Android OpenGL implementation suffers from the same problem as the WIP/new OpenGL backend in the latest ScummVM development version: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=418820
Oh awesome, that's exactly what it will be. I had (erroneously) assumed that ScummVM engines - and hence updateScreen - were single-threaded. Now to fix it without introducing too much latency ...
Actually they *are* single threaded, in case you implement the timer and audio code single threaded ;-).
Bullitt2

Post by Bullitt2 »

gus wrote:
Bullitt2 wrote:Anyone know a workaround for this? Has the enter key been incorrectly mapped?
Oh - interesting problem. Android likes to turn "enter" into an "I'm done, now pop-down the virtual keyboard" button. I thought I was sending an explicit enter through to work around this, but it mustn't be working.

I'll look into it. Sorry :(
Actually virtual keyboard is unavailable when playing game. I was using the hard Dream keyboard, but getting no response from the enter key. No other key or key combination or trackball press would generate an enter. No change noted after installing 1.2.1.
clashfan

Post by clashfan »

Any news when scummvm will appear on Android Market?
thethreeheadedmonkey

Post by thethreeheadedmonkey »

after installing the "official" scummvm app, i tried to play a sci game, space quest 3. apparently early sci games use the same character controls as agi games, but as my phone doesn't have a keyboard with direction-keys, entering a room other than the one you start in is impossible.
apart from this problem i noticed some very slow picture buildup/transitions, especially in the intro sequence. after concluding that my phone may be too slow for sci games, i resumed playing the games i already had.
however, i was surprised that games that used to run perfectly, like the fate of atlantis, suddenly suffered from the same problem, with screens slowly building up from the center oudwards and slow transitions and effects, eg. the "red line" on the map, which is drawn much slower than before
glenhawk

Post by glenhawk »

I am also struggling without a right-click on a Samsung Galaxy S.

I am playing my favourite game... Full Throttle... I got stuck with the inventory then figured out the keyboard and "I" key then I did some fighting and it was better than when I played it on my nokia (however accelerometer support for riding would be cool) but I can't swap weapons.
You use a right-click to swap weapons but you can also use TAB. I tried using TAB (long press on space button/shift space) but that didn't work either.
I have now found via some quick googling that the Galaxy S has no right-click support... is this correct?
Can I manually map a button to be right-click? I'd probably suggest both volume buttons because repeat use of right-click wouldn't have to cause full volume or silence... you could alternate which you use so that the volume stays more or less the same.
Alternatively if pressing TAB on the keyboard could be recognised that would be sufficient.