Broken Sword 2.5

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MeddlingMonk wrote: OK. I've hit something odd with OSX. When I ran 'make' it aborted with this:

/sw/include/theora/theora.h:182: error: comma at end of enumerator list
make: *** [engines/sword25/fmv/theora_decoder.o] Error 1

I looked at theora.h and really don't see a problem.
My copy of theora.h looks like this at about that line:

Code: Select all

typedef enum {
  OC_PF_420,    /**< Chroma subsampling by 2 in each direction &#40;4&#58;2&#58;0&#41; */
  OC_PF_RSVD,   /**< Reserved value */
  OC_PF_422,    /**< Horizonatal chroma subsampling by 2 &#40;4&#58;2&#58;2&#41; */
  OC_PF_444,    /**< No chroma subsampling at all &#40;4&#58;4&#58;4&#41; */
&#125; theora_pixelformat;
If yours looks the same, I guess the OS X compiler doesn't like the comma after "OC_PF_444", while the Fedora one accepts it. I don't know why.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I have had this error (on other similar code that had a coma after the last enum member) with older versions of gcc.

I only tried compiling libtheora and the sword25 engine on OSX 10.6 and it works there. But I guess it can indeed fails on older versions (that were using an older gcc).
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

I can´t get the Game to work. I am using the latest Windows 1.3.0svn (Oct 22 2010) Version of ScummVM. The game does not find the Game. What Files of the Game do I need? I also tried the extracted data.b25c.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I get this error when building

Code: Select all

make&#58; *** No rule to make target `engines/sword25/util/lua/lapi.c', needed by `engines/sword25/util/lua/lapi.o'. Stop.
I don't have a lapi.c file. Just a lapi.cpp.
As the team aren't looking for bug reports I'll leave it here.

McKnallski. The sword25 engine may not be turned on for the build you downloaded. Start ScummVM and select 'About' and you can read what engines are included.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Red_Breast wrote:I get this error when building
Your fault. If you're building SVN, you should know what you're doing. </sarcasm>

That is known issue. `make clean` or removing engines/sword25/lua/.deps directory should resolve the issue.

Eugene
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

sev wrote:
Red_Breast wrote:I get this error when building
Your fault. If you're building SVN, you should know what you're doing. </sarcasm>

That is known issue. `make clean` or removing engines/sword25/lua/.deps directory should resolve the issue.

Eugene
I assume you mean I should know the difference between a .c (C) and a .cpp (C++) file?

If so then yes I did know that already. But I'm not that familiar with all the options you can add when running 'make'.

I didn't ask for a solution to my problem just now as generally I wait until a game is playable.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Red_Breast wrote: I assume you mean I should know the difference between a .c (C) and a .cpp (C++) file?

If so then yes I did know that already. But I'm not that familiar with all the options you can add when running 'make'.
The file used to be called lapi.c, but was renamed lapi.cpp. My impression (though I never bothered to actually verify it) was that the problem you describe happens if you built ScummVM before the file was renamed, then try to build it again afterwards without removing the automatically generated dependencies (the .deps directory). The old dependeicies probably still claim that you need lapi.c, not lapi.cpp, to create lapi.o.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks erik. I wasn't aware I had hidden folders within the main source trunk folder until sev mentioned the .deps folder.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

English voices are available now. I haven't played with it much in English, but what I've heard so far is pretty good. But it's also weird. I got used to playing BS2.5 in German and hearing the dialog in English feels wrong somehow.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

MeddlingMonk wrote:English voices are available now. I haven't played with it much in English, but what I've heard so far is pretty good. But it's also weird. I got used to playing BS2.5 in German and hearing the dialog in English feels wrong somehow.
Maybe because German has come to be known as the language of adventures. :wink:
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Red_Breast wrote:
MeddlingMonk wrote:English voices are available now. I haven't played with it much in English, but what I've heard so far is pretty good. But it's also weird. I got used to playing BS2.5 in German and hearing the dialog in English feels wrong somehow.
Maybe because German has come to be known as the language of adventures. :wink:
Really? Thusfar the most critically acclaimed German adventure game to be localized was The Whispered World, and that was... less than impressive. I have higher hopes for The Book of Unwritten Tales though, if that ever gets released.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

It might matter personally if the game's acclaimed but not in the context of my post.
So Blonde came out in German first as well. Fan games like the Zak one I haven't checked recently but last time I did it was still German only.
When I posted that comment I was reflecting on posts I've seen elsewhere in a similar vein. I don't doubt there are probably still more English adventures released than these German only releases.
As I speak Dutch I understand some of it but still need English text otherwise I get lost.