Datafiles for SCI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

whatever

Post by whatever »

ILikeThoseOldGames wrote:The only SCI game I have is a german King's Quest VII (Windows only release so I can't play it in the DosBox (tried to start any .exe)
You can install Win3.11 in DosBox and it will run german kq7 just fine.
lwc

Re: Datafiles for SCI

Post by lwc »

ILikeThoseOldGames wrote:Hello!I know it is out of scope for the next release and there is at the moment a lot to do.
Sadly the official release came out without updating http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles (which does include AGI). :(

I guess at the time being I'll just leave all files as was suggested here.
AlesteDX

Post by AlesteDX »

Any news on this?

I've seen that they're still missing from wiki...

Thanks.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

As mentioned, you really need to have ALL of the game files to play a SCI game. The only files you can actually delete are:
install.*
*.exe
*.drv (but these are needed in KQ4 early, XMAS88 early and LSL2 early)
*.txt

The rest are all needed
Collector

Post by Collector »

It doesn't really matter. It doesn't save you much to take out the files not needed. For Conquests of Camelot, for example, what can be removed only amounts to less than 100 KB. It would be quite an undertaking to create Data file lists for some of the SCI games. For some of the later games the required files grows quite large. GK1 numbers over 300. GK2 is at around 860 files.

Best to do what md5 suggested and remove the files listed. There are a few more that can be removed depending on the copy of any given game, but again it does not save you much.
AlesteDX

Post by AlesteDX »

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks to both for replies.

However, I think this info would be on Wiki, to avoid same question over and over again.

Regards.
pykman

Post by pykman »

I've got question about Sierra Quests data files and GOG.com versions of the games. I've read that fan made patches aren't needed when running games with scummvm. GOG.com sells Sierra games to work with DosBox and included many of the fan patches to avoid timmimg problems and such.
I thought all *.HEP and *.SCR files are those patches so I started to deleted them. But then I've got weird problems with some games (e.g. Space Quest IV) so maybe not all of these files are fan made patches, right?
But now I just don't now which are which and what *.HEP and *.SCR files can be sefely deleted. I've tried to compare my game files with patch files on Sierra Help Pages but I still don't know for sure.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

As far as I know, patches(at least official) arr recommended and you shoudln't really delete ANY gamefile since it differs what games use what files.
Refer to the Game Datafiles page.
pykman

Post by pykman »

I'm want to keep all files, but when starting one of Sierra game (I'm not sure which, probably Quest for Glory 3) I've got message that I'm using fan made patches but ScummVM dealt with timming problems and I don't need them. And that they can cause problems. That's why I wanted to get rid off those pathes.

EDIT: Yup I confirmed that when playing QfG3 ScummVM suggest me to delete fan made scripts
id1402

Post by id1402 »

What to do with multiple CDs games?
I looked at http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#SCI
There is explained:
Games with multiple CDs

Directories that exist on multiple discs (e.g. ROBOT and VMD directories) must be merged together, not replaced.
Rename the RESOURCE.SFX from each CD to RESSFX.00<cdnumber>, and the RESOURCE.AUD from each CD to RESAUD.00<cdnumber>, to match the corresponding RESSCI.00<cdnumber> file that exists on each CD.
It should be safe to replace any other files from later CDs that were copied already from earlier CDs, except in Phantasmagoria 1 (see below).
I don't understand the last sentence.
If I have "file.000" from CD1, should I replace it by "file.000" from CD2? In other words: Delete "file.000" from CD1 and copy "file.000" from CD2?
Always prefer files from bigger CD numbers?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Like it says, it shouldn't make any difference, as the files with the same name on cd1 and cd2 should be exactly the same, except in the case of Phantasmagoria. There is no preference, simply merge the folders.
id1402

Post by id1402 »

Ok. Thank you.

One question more. m_kiewitz wrote on first page:
m_kiewitz wrote:If you really want to save space on talkie-games, just compress the resource.aud/resource.sfx files using the ScummVM tool.
How to compress resource.aud/resource.sfx files? I looked at ScummVM tools manual, but found nothing about sci games.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I'm guessing the manual has not been updated.

Simply download the tools and select the game you want to compress.
It has a gui and the process is automated.