Will SCUMMVM support...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

sev wrote:
Herrscher wrote:As a german, I remember playing a DOS-Adventure published for free by some federal office here
Dunkle Schatten 1-3. All were freewared. Now we're trying to obtain source code for all three and will see how it will turn out.

Oaaah... you already knew them... :shock: Sorry, didn't get that / read that anywhere here. :?

I found them all here (http://www.adventure-treff.de/specials/ ... spiele.php) and am overwhelmed by how many of them existed in the 90ies (and how many of them I knew)... :shock:

Herrscher wrote: "Prisoner Of Ice".
I don't recall ATM from which company that was, but I will google some... 8)
A horror game... it's not popular genre in our team. Even less luck...

Mhhh... a "horror game"?? Not really... okay... a little bit.
But a real adventure...

A quite hard one... 8)

And it's a real mess to get to work under XP/2K, because of the DOS video renderer at most I think.
Carnivol

Post by Carnivol »

Prisoner of Ice was released in several versions.

I've got the following in hand:

DOS version
Win95 version
Saturn (Japanese only port by XING Entertainment, seems to use the same resource files as the PC, just with a Japanese language pack for the text/subtitles)
PSX (Same as above, just for PSX instead)

The console versions there are identical to the PC versions, just horribly struck by extreme amounts of loading.

Now, a game that suddenly struck my mind out of nowhere was
"Bud Tucker - In Double Trouble"
I remember I liked the demo of the game, but iirc, failing sales made it Europe exclusive and that in a rather limited run. (Still can't find me a copy of it)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

It must be the Windows version I have, since I was able to play it with Wine, albeit with occasional crashes. Is it my imagination, or did the Windows version have higher-resolution graphics than the DOS version?
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

The DOS version I habe could use 320 or 640 resolution.

There are two different EXEs for that.

Dunno what the WIN version is capable of...!?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Herrscher wrote:The DOS version I habe could use 320 or 640 resolution.

Either 640x480 or 640x400, I believe. I don't remember for certain, and I don't remember if you could still use the lower resolution. I don't even remember if the graphics were just scaled up, or if they actually used the higher resolution. But I remember them as looking pretty smooth...
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Herrscher wrote:The DOS version I habe could use 320 or 640 resolution.

Either 640x480 or 640x400, I believe. I don't remember for certain, and I don't remember if you could still use the lower resolution. I don't even remember if the graphics were just scaled up, or if they actually used the higher resolution. But I remember them as looking pretty smooth...
There are separate resource files for each of the two resolutions (KVGA.KRO and KSVGA.KRO). The data is mostly compressed with the deflate algorithm and extracts (almost) fine with zlib. There are some files/resources zlib returns a -5 (buffer error) when trying to decompress them. They probably used another implementation of the algorithm with some differences to zlib ?
Dimouse

Post by Dimouse »

kelmer wrote:I can also try to ask Emilio de Paz from Alcachofa Soft for the code of Drascula, since we are very good friends, one of our staff members usually works with them in their games. Will there be any interest in implementing this game?
Wow! That's really good news here!
Too bad the game is highly underrated and unknown.
istyar

Post by istyar »

kelmer wrote:Okay, I'll keep you informed.

I can also try to ask Emilio de Paz from Alcachofa Soft for the code of Drascula, since we are very good friends, one of our staff members usually works with them in their games. Will there be any interest in implementing this game?
That would be very nice if there are any ScummVM developers interested in supporting it. It's a fun game, and Alcachofa Soft made it free for download some time ago.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

istyar wrote: That would be very nice if there are any ScummVM developers interested in supporting it.
Yes, there is such interest and we're already working in this direction.
istyar wrote:Alcachofa Soft made it free for download some time ago.
Really? Where is it? Any URLs?

Eugene
istyar

Post by istyar »

sev wrote:
istyar wrote: That would be very nice if there are any ScummVM developers interested in supporting it.
Yes, there is such interest and we're already working in this direction.
istyar wrote:Alcachofa Soft made it free for download some time ago.
Really? Where is it? Any URLs?

Eugene
I'm sure it was available from www.alcachofasoft.com in 2002 or 2003. I don't know where to obtain it now. But maybe talking about it with Alcachofa Soft, the game can be made freeware again.

Here is an interview where the autors themshelves say that the game was in their web (in spanish, try searching for 00:28:33):

http://www.la-aventura.net/actualidad/v ... a.php?ID=8

Talking about abandonware, they say that they don't mind in people having Drascula, and that it was available as a download.
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

The game was indeed available to download in their website for about two months or so, but then they decided to remove it from the internet for reasons I shouldn't be revealing.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

kelmer wrote:The game was indeed available to download in their website for about two months or so, but then they decided to remove it from the internet for reasons I shouldn't be revealing.
Yes, we shouldn't discuss it here anymore.
istyar wrote:Talking about abandonware,
Again, and over again. There is NO SUCH THING as ABANDONWARE. It's excuse invented by warezers. Copyright hold for several decades after author's death, and those companies aren't dead yet even. If game isn't in shops. you should still search it on eBay or something.

Eugene
istyar

Post by istyar »

I know, and I have an original copy of the game. Abandonware is the word they used in the interview.
bracco

Scorched Earth

Post by bracco »

Will scumm support Scorched earth? It's an old game like worms you know? this is the link http://www.classicgaming.com/scorch/
Thank you for yuor time.
Bracco,
clem

Post by clem »

scorched earth does not EXACTLY look like a 2d point & click adventure game, does it?

clem