ScummVM A320 Dingux port.

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hkzlab
ScummVM Developer

ScummVM A320 Dingux port.

Post by hkzlab »

Hello,
yesterday my Dingux port got accepted into trunk, so i decided to upload a binary for you all to enjoy.
http://hkzlab.ipv7.net/files/misc/dingu ... r52218.zip.
The "scummvm" directory inside the zip file must be placed in /local/apps/games/ dir on your sdcard.

Now, some important infos on the use of this port:
all the dingux root images (rootfs) i found floating on the net have broken tremor libraries, which make scummvm crash in a bad way.
One solution is to replace the libraries in your rootfs by injecting these fixed ones:
http://hkzlab.ipv7.net/files/misc/dingu ... r_libs.zip
After having added these libs, scummvm should work on your standard dingux kernel, but this doesn't mean it will work perfectly:
non-opendingux kernels doesn't have lcd double buffering leading to a lot of annoying tearing on screen.

The best way to address all the problems in one shot, is to use an opendingux kernel for your dingoo, which has some interesting advantages:
- The kernel gets updated and kept in sync with main linux tree
- Double buffering and centering of screen image
- Support for swap on compressed ram
I have prepared a rootfs image with fixed libs and swap-on-zram to use together with opendingux kernels:
http://hkzlab.ipv7.net/files/misc/dingu ... rootfs.zip
The kernel and rootfs images in the zip file is what i use for developing scummvm on dingux.

BTW, i have built images for the A330 and A320 with ILI9325 controllers too, but these version aren't tested (i have an A320 with ILI9331, but if someone wants to donate an A330 to a poor scummvm developer so i can try the port there too... :P)

If you need a launcher with opendingux cpu frequency scaler support, you can find gmenu2x here:
http://www.treewalker.org/dingux/cpufreq.html

Enjoy

UPDATE:
I've prepared a rootfs image for use on normal dingux kernels (non-opendingux ones). It's based on elta's rootfs image with just the fixed libs replaced.
http://hkzlab.ipv7.net/files/misc/dingu ... tremor.zip
I still raccomand the use of opendingux kernel + rootfs, but if you don't, this roofs image plus another kernel (eg. SiENcE's one) should be do the job.
Last edited by hkzlab on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Not that I have a Dingux but congratulations anyway. I always like to see ScummVM on as many platforms as possible.
N64, Dingux...what's next? :D
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Red_Breast wrote:N64, Dingux...what's next? :D
I have this refrigerator with a TV screen on it... :P
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

clone2727 wrote:
Red_Breast wrote:N64, Dingux...what's next? :D
I have this refrigerator with a TV screen on it... :P
SamsungTV port is already over there :D

Eugene
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

sev wrote:SamsungTV port is already over there :D
Damn, my joke backfired on me :P
hkzlab
ScummVM Developer

Post by hkzlab »

Red_Breast wrote: N64, Dingux...what's next? :D
Rest! :wink:

Actually i've been considering megadrive/genesis developing for a while (but don't expect a scummvm port).
And anyway these days i'm pretty busy, so this will probably remain a fantasy...
mandrake88

hi

Post by mandrake88 »

thx for the port! i'm using in my dingoo, and works fine!

Just a few things that i noted playing Sam & Max (so far, the only i tested):

- L + R + Select, the emulator goes back to gmenu2x and gets totaly freezed. (need to reboot the console)

- The first time i run the game, was with speech enable, i disable, and now i'm trying to enable (Start in game, options, Speach & Subtitles) but is not working.

- Can't change the speech volume

I'm using Sience Kernel + rootfs with tremor libs fix
hkzlab
ScummVM Developer

Post by hkzlab »

Uhm. I've tried the port with my version of Sam & Max (english, cd version) and i haven't been able to reproduce a single one of the problems.

- L + R + Select just doesn't do anything, it just makes the vkeyboard or menu appear. Maybe there is a way to set gmenu2x to trap those keys to work like a "softreset"?

- Muting and enabling voice didn't gave me problems. I even tried muting, restarting the game and then enabling. No problems. No problems with changing speech volume either.
Did you compress your audio? if yes, in which format?

(Tried with science kernel myself... man all these different kernel variants are a mess).

NOTE: i tried current svn build, i'll post an updated build soon for users to test.
mandrake88

Post by mandrake88 »

I'm using svn_r52218 version.

About sound files, i got no idea, i copy SAMNMAX.SM0, SAMNMAX.SM1, MONSTER.SOU into /games folder of scummvm. In scrummvm menu the game appears as "Sam & Max Hit the Road (Floppy/DOS/Spanish)

About kernels you are right, is a mess. I hope that will not be a problem any more with OpenDingux release
hkzlab
ScummVM Developer

Post by hkzlab »

Hm, let's see if i can find my floppy version to test.
But there is one thing to say: floppy version has speech only in the intro. So if you are trying to enable speech while in game, well, it won't work. You need a cd version to get full speech through all the game.
hkzlab
ScummVM Developer

Post by hkzlab »

Still haven't been able to reproduce the problem with current trunk revision and my floppy english version.
You could try the latest nightly build:
http://hkzlab.ipv7.net/files/misc/dingu ... r52672.zip
rename the directory inside the archive to "scummvm" and place it inside /local/apps/games of your sd card.
Remember to point gmenu2x to "scummvm.gpe" file, not directly to "scummvm.elf"
Let me know if this fixes the L + R + SELECT issue.
mandrake88

Post by mandrake88 »

hkzlab wrote:Still haven't been able to reproduce the problem with current trunk revision and my floppy english version.
You could try the latest nightly build:
http://hkzlab.ipv7.net/files/misc/dingu ... r52672.zip
rename the directory inside the archive to "scummvm" and place it inside /local/apps/games of your sd card.
Remember to point gmenu2x to "scummvm.gpe" file, not directly to "scummvm.elf"
Let me know if this fixes the L + R + SELECT issue.
no. Still the same problem.
The keyboard only show if u do L+R, for reproduce the error Hold L+R and press select (u won't see the keyboard), and scrumm gets closed and gmenu freezed
hkzlab
ScummVM Developer

Post by hkzlab »

Still no problem here.
Are you doing that in-game or in scummvm menu?
If i do that in scummvm menu, scummvm gets closed, but that is because the "R" key is mapped to the esc button, which makes scummvm quit when in menu.
But this doesn't make my gmenu2x freeeze at all...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

So the error occurs when the virtual keyboard should be shown? Is that the ScummVM built-in vkeybd? Then maybe this build is missing some data files for it? Or maybe mandrake88 has an old version of the vkeybd data sitting somewhere, which ScummVM for some reason (e.g. an outdated path in the config file) tries to use instead of the version shipped with it?
Both would explain the crash... But of course I am just guessing, and I have no Dingoo :)
mandrake88

Post by mandrake88 »

hkzlab wrote:Still no problem here.
Are you doing that in-game or in scummvm menu?
If i do that in scummvm menu, scummvm gets closed, but that is because the "R" key is mapped to the esc button, which makes scummvm quit when in menu.
But this doesn't make my gmenu2x freeeze at all...
In game. I don't know what extra info can i give you, maybe we should get more testers
So the error occurs when the virtual keyboard should be shown? Is that the ScummVM built-in vkeybd? Then maybe this build is missing some data files for it? Or maybe mandrake88 has an old version of the vkeybd data sitting somewhere, which ScummVM for some reason (e.g. an outdated path in the config file) tries to use instead of the version shipped with it?
Both would explain the crash... But of course I am just guessing, and I have no Dingoo
For display vkeyb the kets are l+r, but i'm holding l+r and press select, i think is a diferent combination