Monkey Island 5 petition...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Well, I think MI3 wasn't THAT bad at all, but it would've been funnier if Ron Gilbert worked on this sequel. MI4 is, well, hard to describe it... weak. Yeah, let's just say: It's weak. The weakest part of the quadrology. And the controls were just annoying (Ron Gilbert didn't even finish the game because of the keyboard control :| ).
Wheter it's better to have 2D or 3D graphics in an adventuregame: Well, that depends. 2D graphics can be very well detailed, the typical P&C adventures in 2D are quite something, it's hard to describe the feeling. 3D is a little more complicated because of the camera angles. You also have to decide if you make a P&C adventure or an adventure where you control the movements of the player via keyboard. But there is also the possibility to make fixed 3D locations with a fixed camera angle and P&C control. As example: Eye of the Kraken. A funny 3D adventure with 3D graphics and P&C control: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/eye-of-the-kraken
Once sold by Absurdus, it is now released as freeware by them: Here the download

(Sorry for advertising the game so much, but it's a good example what's possible in 3D adventures.)
Hobbes99

Post by Hobbes99 »

I didn't have too much against Monkey Island 3 or 4, but I think it's a great pity - something of a minor tragedy - that Ron Gilbert actually wants to finish his original trilogy (making the true Monkey Island 3 which is as good as written) but is denied the opportunity to do so simply due to the technical ownership of the franchise.

The fact that a company will flog another persons creation for the prospect of unecessary profit in such a manner, sits as ill with me as the most immoral examples of software piracy. It's true that we might never have seen the likes of Monkey Island had LucasArts not funded the project, and I'm not even sure what the working relationship was like - but please, there's a limit to which professional dignity can be maintained (and LucasArts are definately running on fumes).

The above accepted, I thought the character of Murray in MI3 was bloody hilarious & very well voiced, to boot. ;)

On the subject of 3D adventures, I'm inclined to agree that few work as well as the (contemporarily considered) traditional 2D point-n-clicks. However, every once in a while someone tries to push boundaries & try something that is genuinely in the best interests of the project they're working on - at which point, sparks of brilliance aren't uncommon. Grim Fandango was largely successful because of this innovation - whilst Monkey Island 4 was arguably that much weaker for standing firmly on the shoulders of other peoples inspiration. Gabriel Knight 3 had it's faults, but along with some remarkable writing it's engine was one of great potential - and it's a great pity that the concept hasn't been notably developed upon.

Perhaps we should start a 'Save Ron & Jane' petition, instead ...
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

*sigh*
Maybe it's much better that a creator of a computer game has also the copyrights and not the companies. If Ron Gilbert, Jane Jensen, Roberta Williams, Al Lowe and all the other adventuregame developers hadn't given the copyrights of their characters to their companies, they would make more adventures today. But alas, that's not the case :cry: .
Maybe a petition to give/sell cheaply the copyrights of MI to Ron might do...
CarlitoBurrito

Post by CarlitoBurrito »

Has anyone done a 3D adventure game from a first person point of view? Stuff like "find the key, open the door" type puzzles don't count. I mean a proper adventure game, no guns or anything.
Pyjamarama

Post by Pyjamarama »

CarlitoBurrito wrote:Has anyone done a 3D adventure game from a first person point of view?
Simon the Sorcerer 3D was like that, but I didn't enjoy it at all and stopped playing it largely due to its interface and buggyness.

[Edit:]Speaking of Simon: Apparently a there is a sequel to the Simon series in the making. As a result of the failure of Simon 3D it will be developed as a 3D-Point-and-Click title, similar to Ankh or Bone, so there's hoping that it will be better. (It's done by a different producer, but apparently the creators of Simon do have some input.
gzsfrk

Post by gzsfrk »

CarlitoBurrito wrote:Has anyone done a 3D adventure game from a first person point of view? Stuff like "find the key, open the door" type puzzles don't count. I mean a proper adventure game, no guns or anything.
"Under a Killing Moon" comes to mind.
Pyjamarama

Post by Pyjamarama »

gzsfrk wrote:"Under a Killing Moon" comes to mind.
Of course, I totally forgot about that. I quite enjoyed it when I played it back then.
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

someone should say guybrush's gonna be shooting aliens...I bet the signatures would jump for about 100 times...especially if there's a king kong with great sfx and a really lame story...
lamb2theslaughter

Post by lamb2theslaughter »

1567 Total Signatures
aaaltomare

Post by aaaltomare »

sorry to jump back but if they would only release a "prequel" then they should make the main character LeChuck, before he became an evil zombie! that would be fun. alas, its all for nought because i doubt another MI will ever happen.

THANKS ALOT COPYRIGHTS FOR SQUANDERING WHATS LEFT OF MY YOUTHFUL WONDER!