ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > The Junkyard > Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition (released) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition (released)
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
md5
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: Athens, Greece
 

IANAL, but I don't think there's a problem with redistributing msvcr71.dll - it's a redistributable library. Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy way to obtain it now, as the redistributable patches that MS provides are for VS2005 (i.e. VC++ 8.0) and 2008 (i.e. VC++ 9.0). Windows 2000 and later versions should include that file by default.

Which tool needs msvcr71.dll?

 Reply with quote  
Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
LogicDeLuxe



Joined: 10 Nov 2005
Posts: 391
 

quote:
Originally posted by md5
Which tool needs msvcr71.dll?
Apparently, scummpacker.exe is using it. It is a compiled python tool.
Are you sure that Windows 2000 and later always have this included? In that case, I could easily ditch it, as Windows XP is the minimum requirement for this to work anyway.

That leaves xWMAEncode.exe, which is part of the DirectX SDK, a package some hundreds MB in size.
 Reply with quote  
Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
md5
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: Athens, Greece
 

The problem with this file is explained a bit in a Python thread, e.g.:
http://osdir.com/ml/python.py2exe/2005-05/msg00064.html

In essence, the file's status is dubious. Theoretically, it should be "ok" to distribute it if you own VS 2003. But limiting people from downloading this is silly. It's really easy to obtain newer versions of this DLL (for VC++ 8.0 and newer) from Microsoft, but this version is obsolete now. Googling around, it looks like it's included in .NET 1.1 SDK, but that's a hefty 100MB+ download.

This page gives more insight:


quote:
The MSVCRT.LIB that ships with 32 bit compiler Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 dynamically links to MSVCR71.DLL which is not present in a freshly installed Windows XP system. MSVCR only appears after some software package that needs it such as Adobe Acrobat Reader is installed.

 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
fingolfin
Retired


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1466
 

quote:
Originally posted by LogicDeLuxe
quote:
Originally posted by md5
Which tool needs msvcr71.dll?
Apparently, scummpacker.exe is using it. It is a compiled python tool.

Well, in that case, wouldn't it be possible to compile it into a single static linked binary, without an external dependency on a non-system DLL ?

(Rant: I never quite understood why on Windows it seems to be normal for apps to have to install all kinds of DLLs, including one for the "C run time", before you can run them. Shouldn't the CRT part of the OS, not each app? Weird).
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
md5
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: Athens, Greece
 

quote:
Originally posted by fingolfin
quote:
Originally posted by LogicDeLuxe
quote:
Originally posted by md5
Which tool needs msvcr71.dll?
Apparently, scummpacker.exe is using it. It is a compiled python tool.

Well, in that case, wouldn't it be possible to compile it into a single static linked binary, without an external dependency on a non-system DLL ?


Unfortunately, no. This is a Python script, and it is compiled into a Windows binary using py2exe, so this is an issue with Python itself. It would still be possible to ask people to install Python, but I believe that a single DLL file makes things easier...

(as for your rant: at least Windows doesn't have the RPM hell that RPM-based distros have)
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
LogicDeLuxe



Joined: 10 Nov 2005
Posts: 391
 

quote:
Originally posted by md5
it looks like it's included in .NET 1.1 SDK, but that's a hefty 100MB+ download.
Is it by any chance also included in dotnetfx35.exe? That one comes and is required by MISE, so I could be sure it exists.

Still, xWMAencode is the more inconvenient file. It is included in DXSDK_Jun10.exe which is a ridiculous 571 MB.
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
bobdevis



Joined: 16 Jan 2009
Posts: 563
 

quote:
Originally posted by md5
at least Windows doesn't have the RPM hell that RPM-based distros have)


You call that DLL-Hell I believe. Hasn't happened to me lately but it used to be really unfunny with some early non backwards-compatible versions of DirectX.
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
md5
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: Athens, Greece
 

quote:
Originally posted by bobdevis
quote:
Originally posted by md5
at least Windows doesn't have the RPM hell that RPM-based distros have)


You call that DLL-Hell I believe. Hasn't happened to me lately but it used to be really unfunny with some early non backwards-compatible versions of DirectX.


It doesn't matter. Please don't change the subject and don't turn this into a never ending *nix vs. Windows thread...

Back to the original subject: I don't think it's a problem to distribute msvcr71.dll. If you aren't comfortable with its distribution, you can provide a link to download the file instead (e.g. the Python binary). But it *should* be safe to include both the DLL and the tool (though, as I said, IANAL).
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
fingolfin
Retired


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1466
 

quote:
Originally posted by LogicDeLuxe
Still, xWMAencode is the more inconvenient file. It is included in DXSDK_Jun10.exe which is a ridiculous 571 MB.


You only need it to decode WMA files to WAVE, and then later encode the WAVE file to Ogg or flac, right? If so, why not use ffmpeg or some other open source tool for that purpose? Using ffmpeg might even allow you to directly convert from WMA to FLAC/Ogg Vorbis. So you could also replace sox by this.
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
clone2727
Retired


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 1592
Location: NJ, USA
 

quote:
Originally posted by fingolfin
quote:
Originally posted by LogicDeLuxe
Still, xWMAencode is the more inconvenient file. It is included in DXSDK_Jun10.exe which is a ridiculous 571 MB.


You only need it to decode WMA files to WAVE, and then later encode the WAVE file to Ogg or flac, right? If so, why not use ffmpeg or some other open source tool for that purpose? Using ffmpeg might even allow you to directly convert from WMA to FLAC/Ogg Vorbis. So you could also replace sox by this.
AFAIK, no open source program supports xWMA.
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
fingolfin
Retired


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1466
 

Hm, really? According to the page you linked, "xWMA is a subset of the Windows Media Audio (WMA) Professional compression format." -- and FFmpeg claims to support WMA Professional.
But of course maybe xWMA really is not just a subset. Or maybe the FFmpeg support for WMA Pro is incomplete. It's a bit difficult to find information about the exact support level for WMA in FFmpeg, too :/. I guess only by trying it can we find out.

PS: And also rockbox support WMA Pro, see http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/NewWMAAudioCodecs

 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
clone2727
Retired


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 1592
Location: NJ, USA
 

quote:
Originally posted by fingolfin
But of course maybe xWMA really is not just a subset. Or maybe the FFmpeg support for WMA Pro is incomplete. It's a bit difficult to find information about the exact support level for WMA in FFmpeg, too :/. I guess only by trying it can we find out.
It also doesn't help that searching for "FFmpeg xWMA" in Google has this forum post on its first page already. But, yes, it would make sense if FFmpeg (or libav, or whatever people want to call it now) did support it already...
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
fingolfin
Retired


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1466
 

FFmpeg is FFmpeg; libav is a fork.

 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
clone2727
Retired


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 1592
Location: NJ, USA
 

quote:
Originally posted by fingolfin
FFmpeg is FFmpeg; libav is a fork.
Yes, it was my lame attempt at a joke Razz
 Reply with quote  
Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
fingolfin
Retired


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1466
 

quote:
Originally posted by clone2727
quote:
Originally posted by fingolfin
FFmpeg is FFmpeg; libav is a fork.
Yes, it was my lame attempt at a joke Razz

Damn, and I fell for it! Ah well, I already have the reputation of having no sense of humor, so this just underlines it Smile

Back to topic: It would be really interesting to know if ffmpeg can decode these files or not. So if somebody can test it and report the findings, that would be most interesting. By the way, if it is *not* supported, I think the ffmpeg guys might be interested to learn about it, maybe they would even be interested in adding support.
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next


Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge