Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition (released)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

New version: http://www.mediafire.com/?5fawgmhg23ir9ot

v1.0 RC3:
- New games had always subtitles turned on in ScummVM. (v1.0 RC2)
- Animation was out of sync in first LeChuck cutscene. (v0.5 beta)
- Scumm Bar music not always stopping in MIDI mode. (v0.9 beta)
- Verbs flashing between rooms in hell maze. (enhanced CD)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

New version: http://www.mediafire.com/?6x3ikfv6zz2o585

v1.0 RC4:
- More goofs in the Herman dialog fixed.
ILikeThoseOldGames

Post by ILikeThoseOldGames »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
ILikeThoseOldGames wrote:Sadly I bought the iPod version (and I don't want to buy it again). Is there any way to get this patch working with the iPod version?
I don't know anything about it.
What exactly does the installer complain about?
Sorry for answering late.

Well the first problem is that the whole game is packed in an ipa-file so your scripts will not run out of the box. But this problem can be solved easily because the ipa-file is more or less a zip file.

The second problem is that all audio files are compressed in Apple’s Core Audio Format (caf). User marzipan figured out (in another topic of this forum) that those files can be converted by ffmpeg (but you need version 0.6. or higher – I used 0.6.4 and it worked very well).

Next problem is that accordingly to your script there are some music / speech / sfx files missing or have to be renamed. For example there is no AMB_ScummBar_01, _cdt_bubble, _cdt_doorclose or track18b. Also all sfx files are serially numbered and without description (and I think some are also in the wrong order).

So I tried to use your scripts and changed them a little bit. (I used ffmpeg to create the wav files instead of unxwb and xWMAEncode and uncommented the parts where files a missing)

Unfortunately the program build_monster terminates unexpected and I don’t know why. It creates a defect monster.sog respectively monster.sof (your fan patched ScummVM version terminates whenever someone is speaking). I tried this with RC3 and RC4.

I don’t want to try more things because my holiday is over now and I really can’t spend more time on this. But I can give you the changed scripts if you or someone else from the http://www.lucasforums.com is interested.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

ILikeThoseOldGames wrote:For example there is no AMB_ScummBar_01, _cdt_bubble, _cdt_doorclose or track18b.
Files beginning with _cdt_ are generated by the script. The other files are supposed to be extracted and converted, though.
Also all sfx files are serially numbered and without description (and I think some are also in the wrong order).
That means, that the soundbank has no names stored for the files. There is no way for me to fix that.
I afraid, you need the PC version for this then.
Scorched Earth

Post by Scorched Earth »

Did the original PC version have a "setup.exe", for configuring your sound card's IRQ, DMA, and the like.

If so, could this somehow be simulated?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Scorched Earth wrote:Did the original PC version have a "setup.exe", for configuring your sound card's IRQ, DMA, and the like.

If so, could this somehow be simulated?
It's command line only. DOTT was the first LucasArts adventure with a frontend for this.
For a list of available options (varies a lot between interpreter versions), just type:
monkey ?
(Or whatever your exe is named for the other LucasArts adventures.)
Scorched Earth

Post by Scorched Earth »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I posted a feature request with a patch included (3076698). I'm not to decide what goes into the official build, though.
Are you sure this wasn't more in line with the patch tracker?
It's command line only. DOTT was the first LucasArts adventure with a frontend for this.
For a list of available options (varies a lot between interpreter versions), just type:
monkey ?
Thanks. I was used to older DOS games using a separate setup executable.
Darnn

Post by Darnn »

Just a small heads up: When I put the modified ScummVM exe in a folder with ScummVM 1.2.1 and tried to run it, I got the following error: "Couldn't load font 'helvb12.bdf'!"

I downloaded the file myself from here: http://sysinf0.klabs.be/usr/lib/fonts/h ... ist=;arch= (the 3.0.3-1 version)

And after that everything worked great.
busterflex

How to play Monkey Island Classic with ultimate talkie

Post by busterflex »

Heya mate!
I need some help with this!
Running ScummVM1.2.1 on my iphone
Got the CD version of MI1
and tried use it with the talkie bundle!
This error message occurs:
Error:(0:1:0x6E): SO_LOAD_STRING:Unsupported filename
I've the MI:SE iphone version
Prbly i don't have the monkey1.pak in my folder???
No idea what to do or it's not working with scummvm version or not on iphone...
Graxer

Re: How to play Monkey Island Classic with ultimate talkie

Post by Graxer »

busterflex wrote:Heya mate!
If I remember correctly the ultimate talkie version can't be created with the iPhone version. You need the PC version of the PAK file. (I assume it is an error with the talke extraction software and not within ScummVM.)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to play Monkey Island Classic with ultimate talkie

Post by LordHoto »

Graxer wrote:
busterflex wrote:Heya mate!
If I remember correctly the ultimate talkie version can't be created with the iPhone version. You need the PC version of the PAK file. (I assume it is an error with the talke extraction software and not within ScummVM.)
The MI1 Talkie fan patch does not work with vanilla ScummVM, that's the problem here as far as I can tell. At least it throws an error in the opcode which requires patching for the fan patch...
busterflex

Post by busterflex »

Thanks for the answers!
Will check it out on my mac, then!
But strange thing is, there is no monkey1.pak file
Did I do something wrong?
On my mac it the error was something like ( try to remember since I'm not near my computer ;)
unsupported fileformat : **.sh
busterflex

Post by busterflex »

So can anyone help me with a tutorial for dummies (like me)
What scummvm version
What files in the folder etc!
Thanks a lot
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

For legal concerns, I need the license texts which grant the redistribution of Microsoft's MSVCR71.dll and xWMAEncode.exe.
I find it very confusing, reading through their EULAs. Can someone guide me to the right files, please?

The ScummVM team won't apply the fan patch, if there remains any doubt of the legal state of the Ultimate Talkie Editions.

If this can't be resolved, I would have to remove those files and guide the user to download them from Microsoft instead. Unfortunately, that means to download huge packages with hundreds of Megabytes, which I don't like to force the user to just for 2 small files which are actually needed. So any help on this would be very appreciated by me as well as any potential users of the Ultimate Talkie Editions.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I find it very confusing, reading through their EULAs. Can someone guide me to the right files, please?
For MSVCR71.dll there should be a redistributable package.