Monkey 1 Ultimate Talkie Edition (released)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

For those not sure if the SE is worth the money just for using this patch on it, here is a game play video which shows several of the enhancements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBBp4KvGKU
Scorched Earth

Post by Scorched Earth »

Two questions...

What types of audio compression can you use on this, besides ogg/flac?

-and-

Will this work with any ScummVM supported platform?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Scorched Earth wrote:What types of audio compression can you use on this, besides ogg/flac?
Of course, for high quality, FLAC is your choice. If size matters and the Ogg Vorbis version is still too big, you could just take the monster.sou it generates for DOS (22050 Hz, 8 bit), and convert it to whatever the ScummVM tools support.

Also, if you can live without CD quality music, you can play with MT-32, General MIDI or AdLib (like in the video).

There are some MIDI issues yet to be solved, though.
Will this work with any ScummVM supported platform?
You need Windows only for the patching tool. The resulting game should run on any platform supported by ScummVM.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Regarding deleted content, in Monkey 2, when selling the spit badge to the dealer, the script checks against a 3rd option supposed to convince him.
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Steam has a special at the moment. $7.49 for both SE.

Just reading the readme file to get my head around this "patch".

EDIT: Great project!

I wonder if they could the same thing for MI2 at least for the DOS version? It would be awesome to have MT-32 music + voices.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Version v1.0 release candidate 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?6oo543u1tyb85hj

Improvements in this version:
- "Raff." with a Guybrush sample when the dog is talking. (v0.5 beta)
- Low volume in DOS. Now it starts with the same default volume the original game had. In addition to that, your adjusted volume can be saved to monkey.cfg. (v0.5 beta)
- Subtitle mode toggle added.
- Title sequence now uses iMuse for beat matching instead of inaccurate timers. (v0.5 beta)
- Dialog option "You say you got a key from the locals?" did appear only if Guybrush did NOT learn about the key. Now it is the other way around. (all versions)
- Dialog option "You're the only one on the island?" was availabe instead of "So you're not the only one on the island?" under some circumstances, even when he just told about the key he got from the locals. (all versions)
- Stan did say "Inflation works in the other direction, you know." when you offer the same amount twice, even if your previous offer was less. (all versions)
- Stan had no voice for many possible values. This is now fixed for anything up to 10950 pieces of eight. (Special Edition)
- The porthole defogger now is actually worth something. (all versions)
- It was possible to burn the feather pen and get stuck. (all versions)

The modified ScummVM source: http://www.mediafire.com/?1u6cpr1ki0q3a8q
This minor modification was required for two reasons:
- Better support the options menu, since orignal ScummVM assumes that the enhanced CD has neither MIDI nor voice acting.
- Even worse, original ScummVM refuses to use the string save feature, unless it is an Indiana Jones game. I use this feature to save the preferences (Spiffy mode, narator mode and subtitle mode).
ILikeThoseOldGames

Post by ILikeThoseOldGames »

Great project.

Sadly I bought the iPod version (and I don't want to buy it again). Is there any way to get this patch working with the iPod version?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

ILikeThoseOldGames wrote:Sadly I bought the iPod version (and I don't want to buy it again). Is there any way to get this patch working with the iPod version?
I don't know anything about it.
What exactly does the installer complain about?
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

It's well worth buying again!

I almost fell out of my chair when I had this game running on a REAL DOS machine with digital speech!

Really hoping that there will be a way to get MI2 to run under DOS with speech...
Scorched Earth

Post by Scorched Earth »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:The modified ScummVM source: http://www.mediafire.com/?1u6cpr1ki0q3a8q
This minor modification was required for two reasons:
- Better support the options menu, since orignal ScummVM assumes that the enhanced CD has neither MIDI nor voice acting.
- Even worse, original ScummVM refuses to use the string save feature, unless it is an Indiana Jones game. I use this feature to save the preferences (Spiffy mode, narator mode and subtitle mode).
So it isn't compatible with the regular, or SVN, builds then?

Was hoping to play on the go. Will the patches be merged into the upcoming '1.2.0' release?

On a side note, I'm playing the DOS version in Windows 98 right now, and it's very cool. Though, the BGM volume seems to be really low, even at max.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Scorched Earth wrote:Was hoping to play on the go. Will the patches be merged into the upcoming '1.2.0' release?
I posted a feature request with a patch included (3076698). I'm not to decide what goes into the official build, though.
On a side note, I'm playing the DOS version in Windows 98 right now, and it's very cool. Though, the BGM volume seems to be really low, even at max.
Did you check the Windows mixer? Does the problem appear with the Fate of Atlantis-Talkie too?
The game now has the same default volume original CD monkey.exe, monkey2.exe and non-talkie atlantis.exe has, ie. 75%. For comparison, Fate of Atlantis talkie has only 38% as the default volume (while the voice samples there are slightly lower in volume too)
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Scorched Earth wrote:
Hmm I don't have this issue.

I tried Adlib mode and that works fine. And so did my MT-32. After launching the game I needed to increase the volume (I haven't tried the very latest build yet), but apart from that all is good!

Have you tried real Dos? (Not a DOS windows in W98). Because under Windows you might as well play the ScummVM version.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

A new version with some minor upgrades I forgot to include in the RC1: http://www.mediafire.com/?ujyh1hxc9w9igz9

v1.0 RC2:
- Environment sounds mixed into Scumm Bar music.
- No Charles Atlas, but Guybrush now says: "He's pretty creepy." (a voiced line) which makes more sense than "No thanks. I'd rather not touch any of this creepy voodoo stuff." when you just look at it. (enhanced CD)
- Swordmaster invisible after showing the kidnapper's note. (v0.5 beta)
- Wrong colors with some boot params. (v1.0 RC1)
- Walking off path after visiting Sword Master's (enhanced CD)
Scorched Earth

Post by Scorched Earth »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I posted a feature request with a patch included (3076698). I'm not to decide what goes into the official build, though.
Cool. Is the team planning on doing this for MI2:SE as well? I'll definitely pick it up if you are.
Did you check the Windows mixer? Does the problem appear with the Fate of Atlantis-Talkie too?
The game now has the same default volume original CD monkey.exe, monkey2.exe and non-talkie atlantis.exe has, ie. 75%. For comparison, Fate of Atlantis talkie has only 38% as the default volume (while the voice samples there are slightly lower in volume too)
Sorry, I don't have Indy 4.

I used the in-game hotkeys "[]" to turn it up to max. Maybe the issue is the "Sound Blaster compatible" Yamaha sound card I'm using..?

Being that it's a Win9x system (ie -Windows 95/98/ME), I don't think it would matter if I rebooted into DOS, instead of just running it from a pif shortcut.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Scorched Earth wrote:Sorry, I don't have Indy 4.
http://demos.robertmegone.com/scumm/atl ... emo-en.zip
Being that it's a Win9x system (ie -Windows 95/98/ME), I don't think it would matter if I rebooted into DOS, instead of just running it from a pif shortcut.
Could make a difference. Depends on your sound drivers.