sci games

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bhebing

sci games

Post by bhebing »

The latest svn builds make it possible to play Sierra SCI games with ScummVM. Is it possible to compile a SVN version with sci games enabled? I can succesfully compile ds svn builds (with the devkitpro toolchain), but I don't know how to make an extra build with sci support or whether this effort is at all possible.

-- edit

well, it seems building is possible. I changed the makefiles to include a build l which enables the sci engine. However, when I try to run a game, the screen just goes blank and that's it. Is there anyway to debug?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've often thought about trying to build DS ScummVM. I do it for my Linux PC. I was wondering if recent addition Teen agent will run on DS.
One of the DS buttons brings up the console in case you missed it. Also the ScummVM wiki has instructions for building for most of the platforms. I can't recall if there are DS instructions though.
You know agentq is the DS porter right? Maybe a PM?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I don't know why people think that forum PMs are an effective means of communicating. They aren't. Many people rarely use their forum account, and if they use it, may still not notice or deliberately ignore PMs.
Emails, on the other hand, reach the recipient even if they don't use the forum a lot ... :)
bhebing

Post by bhebing »

Now, without wanting to disturb busy developers with trivial questions, what do I do? Send a mail? Or just wait for a reaction?

In response to the second post: scummvm halts. All I get is a white screen.

I'm willing to test a bit more...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

It was just a suggestion fingolfin. I don't know if it's urgent for bhebing or not.
Personally I see PMs straight away. I know everybody isn't the same though.
I could of said 'contact agentq' but, and this is just personally speaking again, if somebody suggested to me that I should PM somebody I take it as I should contact them somehow. I'll PM them, email them, check irc, and if it's really urgent call in a private dick. OK maybe not the last one.
But now this is just splitting hairs. So in an effort to end it all a little checking on the DS drunkencoders page. This is copied and pasted and straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I'll leave you to make of it what you will bhebing.

"If you have problems getting ScummVM to work on your hardware, please read the FAQ first. Please don't ask me questions which are answered in the FAQ, I get many emails about this program each day, and I can't help the people who really need help if I'm answering the same question all the time which is already answered on this page. Other than that, feel free to post on the ScummVM DS forum for help. Please do your research first though. There is no way of running this on an out-of-the box DS without extra hardware. Most of these things are fairly inexpensive though.
If you want to contact me, please email me on scummvm at millstone dot demon dot co dot uk."

So that answers that one. You're right fingolfin an email is required.
If you go right to the bottom of the page bhebing you will see some stuff about compiling.
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

What's wrong with enabling email notification upon receiving a PM? I do that on every forum I go to.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

MusicallyInspired wrote:What's wrong with enabling email notification upon receiving a PM? I do that on every forum I go to.
Heh, it is so wrong that is even mentioned as Forum Rule #9. In short, it is an additional noise. Proper questions should be directed to scummvm-devel mailing list if they're not bugs. There they have much higher probability of being answered.

Eugene
MusicallyInspired

Then why do these subforums for each build of ScummVM even exist if none of the devs come here? What's the point? What can be done here that can't be done in the ScummVM General Board?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Then why do these subforums for each build of ScummVM even exist if none of the devs come here? What's the point? What can be done here that can't be done in the ScummVM General Board?
This goes really really offtopic. The question was about PMs. The porters usually read the forums, and as agentq wrote, he recommends to post the questions here. But since we are all volunteers, there is no SLA. Writing to -devel will get more attention from the devs, since not everybody reads the forums, and especially specific port ones.

Eugene
Last edited by sev on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thinking about this more surely it's a case by case situation.
When I first started checking the DS section I had the impression that agentq was checking the forum about once a week at weekends. This is just a guesstimate from him posting. And of course he could still miss PMs.
I know dhewg the Wii porter is more an irc guy and it's the general way for devs to talk to each other. I know if I wanted to get his attention then irc would be the way to go.
If somebody asks on the Wii forum then I'd steer them to irc.
As this was all about agentq and remembering that he, at least when I started on the DS forum, seemed to check once a week I said 'maybe a PM'. I wasn't sure if he'd added his email address to anywhere and didn't feel like looking because as I said earlier if somebody said 'PM him' to me then I assume that means to personally contact him somehow.

Bah. This whole thread has gone a little crazy and should never have reached this point. Let's give it back to bhebing.

By the by can I ask? Agentq is a ScummVM porter. Does he have access to scummvm-devel? Is there any distinction?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Red_Breast wrote:By the by can I ask? Agentq is a ScummVM porter. Does he have access to scummvm-devel? Is there any distinction?
Yes, he does.

Eugene
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The port forums are there so that users of the ports can help each other; also, by searching, often one can find a solution for a problem, if somebody else had it before and received help. If the porters happen to also frequent that forums, that's of course a nice bonus, but hardly necessary for them to make sense :).

As for the DS port: A black screen with current trunk SVN has been observed and reported by one of our GSoC some time ago; the most recent thing I heard from him on that subject was, however, that the very latest SVN worked again for him. Though it's unclear why, because nobody did anything that should affected this... Anyway, assuming this is the same issue, then agentq is already aware of it, and promised to look into it, once he has some free time -- right now, though, he seems rather busy.
MusicallyInspired

Ok, I understand. It just seemed odd to me that some were recommending emailing the devs as opposed to PMing but the fact that none of the devs enable email notification of forum PMs (basically the same thing as email) confused me.

Anyway, moving on.
bhebing

Post by bhebing »

fingolfin wrote: As for the DS port: A black screen with current trunk SVN has been observed and reported by one of our GSoC some time ago; the most recent thing I heard from him on that subject was, however, that the very latest SVN worked again for him. Though it's unclear why, because nobody did anything that should affected this... Anyway, assuming this is the same issue, then agentq is already aware of it, and promised to look into it, once he has some free time -- right now, though, he seems rather busy.
Ah, something on topic :-)

As far as I know I compiled the latest / most recent trunk code. However, I will update and try again. I will also try the other scummvm(A-K) builds to see if they work.

I'm happy to test this new sci engine on the DS port, so if anything turns up I will mail the devel list. :D :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, the black screen issue I am talking about apparently affected all engines, not just SCI... Do (all?) other engines work for your with trunk?