Sierra games don't allow speech and text at the same time.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Update: SCI1.1 SCI CD games now sync their sound settings with the ones in ScummVM. This means that for the following SCI1.1 CD games:
- Freddy Pharkas
- Space Quest 4
- Laura Bow 2
- King's Quest 6

You can set speech/subtitles from the ScummVM audio options menu. You can also set simultaneous speech and subtitles for Freddy Pharkas and Space Quest 4. The speech + subtitles setting is also available in-game in SQ4, but not in Pharkas (there is no appropriate button to use, unless the text speed slider is repurposed for this).

I'm also working on patching LB2CD and KQ6CD to allow simultaneous speech and subtitles, but they have checks in a lot of places, which will have to be rewritten
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

thx man! can't wait to see this happen. :D

Btw, can you confirm svn version for this update?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

55005 and 55006
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

is it already released? I didn't see it here:

http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/trunk/
dhwz

Post by dhwz »

md5 wrote:Update: SCI1.1 SCI CD games now sync their sound settings with the ones in ScummVM. This means that for the following SCI1.1 CD games:
- Freddy Pharkas
- Space Quest 4
- Laura Bow 2
- King's Quest 6

You can set speech/subtitles from the ScummVM audio options menu. You can also set simultaneous speech and subtitles for Freddy Pharkas and Space Quest 4. The speech + subtitles setting is also available in-game in SQ4, but not in Pharkas (there is no appropriate button to use, unless the text speed slider is repurposed for this).

I'm also working on patching LB2CD and KQ6CD to allow simultaneous speech and subtitles, but they have checks in a lot of places, which will have to be rewritten
But switching in-game is still not possible right?
I tried it with KQ6CD and if I click the Speech/Text Button in the game options just the following message apears "This button is reserved for the CD version of King's Quest VI".
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

dhwz wrote:
md5 wrote:Update: SCI1.1 SCI CD games now sync their sound settings with the ones in ScummVM. This means that for the following SCI1.1 CD games:
- Freddy Pharkas
- Space Quest 4
- Laura Bow 2
- King's Quest 6

But switching in-game is still not possible right?
I tried it with KQ6CD and if I click the Speech/Text Button in the game options just the following message apears "This button is reserved for the CD version of King's Quest VI".
That's odd, I don't get this. What did you do and got this message?
Collector

Post by Collector »

dhwz wrote:I tried it with KQ6CD and if I click the Speech/Text Button in the game options just the following message apears "This button is reserved for the CD version of King's Quest VI".
You get that error message if the "KQ6CD" file is missing from the game's folder.
dhwz

Post by dhwz »

Collector wrote:
dhwz wrote:I tried it with KQ6CD and if I click the Speech/Text Button in the game options just the following message apears "This button is reserved for the CD version of King's Quest VI".
You get that error message if the "KQ6CD" file is missing from the game's folder.
Ah ok, I'll copy that from my CD and try again.

Ok, that was the problem. Thanks :)
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Am I missing something? I'm using iPad port but cannot seem to get Speech and Subtitles in KQ6CD or KQ5 working. Not sure if KQ5 is supported yet. Any ideas?

P.S. I have Both enabled in global settings and SQ4 Talkie does work with both.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

There is no toggle for KQ5. The floppy versions only support text and the CD version only supports speech (no text at all). I don't even think the text resources are included in the CD version...

This should also probably be in the iPad port subforum.
hitmarty

Post by hitmarty »

it's working now for Larry 6 great work! when can we expect Laura Bow?
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

Hi!
Any progress in KQ6?
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

The german version of PQ4 has a text+speech option. You could take that script and apply it to the english version, just sayin' :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MrPunchy wrote:Hi!
Any progress in KQ6?
No, not yet
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

fischkopf wrote:The german version of PQ4 has a text+speech option. You could take that script and apply it to the english version, just sayin' :)
No, that is completely different