Beneath a steel sky on HTC Desire - cannot load game (crash)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

iluvyoulongtime

Beneath a steel sky on HTC Desire - cannot load game (crash)

Post by iluvyoulongtime »

Android 2.1 on the HTC Desire
ScummVM = ScummVM-1.1.1-alt-vorbis
Save path set to /sdcard/scummvm
Game = Beneath a steel sky (cd version) - copied to SD card (to root) in original folder bass-cd-1.2
I have also copied the scummvm folder to the root of the SD card, giving me the more modern theme

PROBLEM: Everything works properly (using the search button as the right click, and using the "Joxnix method" to enter text where necessary. The problem comes once I've waited for the long intro sequence to finish, upon which I save a game (in slot 2 called "new game"). If I then quit and attempt to load this game ScummVM crashes. Previously, when I had not set the save path (so it was the default) it would dump me into a debug console upon load, from which it would crash out if I used the BACK button, or typed "exit" to attempt to resume the game. The only interesting bit of text in the console was along the lines of "Error loading font".

Thanks for your help, and well done gus - an excellent achievement so far.
spoco2

Post by spoco2 »

I have the same error on my LG Optimus One, except that is crashes out just after the man first starts talking in the intro.

Is this a memory/resource issue or something else?
Lan

Post by Lan »

Have you tried using the 1.2 release instead of the 1.1.1?
etherealmachine

Post by etherealmachine »

I have the same problem as spoco2 on my Motorola Droid. Bass crashes during the start of the intro video. The relevant message from the system log is:
backends/platform/android/android.cpp:100: Assertion failure: ! version_unsupported
Line 100 specifically checks:
bool version_unsupported =
cached_jvm->GetEnv((void**)&env, JNI_VERSION_1_2);
"I Have No Mouth..." worked fine, so I don't see how my JNI version could be incorrect.
Edit: This was using the 1.2 release off the ScummVM downloads page.
Arie-

Post by Arie- »

Hey, a Desire Z here, I wanted to test ScummVM on my new phone so quickly did some testing and decided to use BASS for that. However also for me, the game crashes during the intro, I see the screaming face and then I'm sent back to my home screen.
shohart

Post by shohart »

Arie- wrote:Hey, a Desire Z here, I wanted to test ScummVM on my new phone so quickly did some testing and decided to use BASS for that. However also for me, the game crashes during the intro, I see the screaming face and then I'm sent back to my home screen.
Hey, man! i`ve got the same problem jn my t-mobile G2 - it crashes at start(( did anyone solve it?
gia2484

bass crashing

Post by gia2484 »

A lot of people seem to have this problem. The only way to play it is to hit the "skip" button as soon as the intro begins.. I also have experienced random crashes during the game, just before some animations.. To get through those parts I had to move the save files to my pc, do the thing that crashed scummvm, resave and move back the files to my cellphone..
catapaicu

Post by catapaicu »

I have the same problem on a Desire HD Android 2.2. It crashes just after the logos when cinematic starts. I would greatly appreciate it if we could get a fix.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

catapaicu wrote:I have the same problem on a Desire HD Android 2.2. It crashes just after the logos when cinematic starts. I would greatly appreciate it if we could get a fix.
The fix is already done in the development version of ScummVM. It should be working just fine in a nightly build of ScummVM.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

This issue has been fixed in the latest unstable version
catapaicu

Post by catapaicu »

Cheers bro. Wow that was fast! :) Love you guys!
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

catapaicu wrote:Cheers bro. Wow that was fast! :) Love you guys!
It actually has been fixed a few days ago already.
catapaicu

Post by catapaicu »

Yeah I figured that. Can I get the unstable version from somewhere or should I just wait for the stable release?
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

catapaicu wrote:Yeah I figured that. Can I get the unstable version from somewhere or should I just wait for the stable release?
latest Untested Builds for platforms built by buildbot
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/m ... st.tar.bz2
catapaicu

Post by catapaicu »

I downloaded the latest android build from the link you've gave me on my phone and I ran the scummvm.apk to install it and it failed with: Application not installed. I think it was trying to install it on the SD card.. could that be a problem? also the scummvm.apk file is just 2 megs compared to the stable one that I originally downloaded from the site and had 5 megs.
What am I doing wrong?