SCI Pre-Release Testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

SCI Pre-Release Testing

Post by clone2727 »

It's been only six years and a few months since CABAL was jokingly announced, and now the first round of Sierra's SCI games is going to be supported in ScummVM!

However, we need your help in testing the SCI games. That's right, you, the loyal ScummVM user. Go grab your DOS or Windows SCI game (that is on this list) and play through it with a ScummVM daily build. As you play through the game, try not to die too much, save often, and note down any bugs that you find so you can report them on the bug tracker. Please do not report bugs on non-PC versions of SCI games; they are not supported yet.

When you've finished going through a game, go report it right here on the forums. If you feel up to the challenge, move on to your next SCI game! And if you're really feeling the Sierra vibe, go test all your SCI games that are up for testing!

Even if you don't have any SCI games, you can still help out. There are many SCI demos (only choose those on the supported demo list) and fan games out there that are waiting for you to test them.

When reporting whether a game is completable or not, please use this format to make it easier for us to add it to the wiki page.

Game: Game name, as reported by ScummVM
Game Version: Game version, as reported by ScummVM; EGA or VGA if applicable
ScummVM Version: ScummVM version, as reported by ScummVM (ie. "1.2.0svn51479"); must include revision
Operating System: Operating system (version and 32-bit vs. 64-bit if applicable)

Problems:

List any problems you have found here (or "None" if everything works perfectly).
Last edited by clone2727 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Game: EcoQuest II: Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Game Version: Floppy/DOS/English
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0svn51274
Operating System: Windows 7

Problems:
* 3034464 - This game is uncompletable. The game crashes at the beginning when you try to give your opened passport to the guard. (In case it is important, you could get further in earlier builds; It used to crash when you looked at the "ecorder" for a demonstration.)
* 3034465 - Also, there are sound irregularities (missing notes) when the Sierra logo is shown.

I will do EcoQuest 1 (Floppy) over the next couple of days if I get the chance.
Last edited by Graxer on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Game: Castle of Dr. Brain
Game Version: Amiga/English
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0svn51289
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Problems:
* 3034471 - no letters in word search puzzle, makes it nearly impossible to complete (I used a walkthrough that listed the location of every word)
* 3034473 - script bug that needs a workaround (found a few yesterday and reported them on IRC, but this one must've been overlooked)
* A few assorted palette glitches whose locations I don't entirely recall, not yet in tracker. The most notable one is during the intro - after the castle starts animating, it doesn't update the palette correctly until it draws the logo. Another palette glitch (possibly unrelated) occurs during room transitions (most noticeably whenever you enter an elevator).

Aside from some sound bugs (which are to be expected from the practically brand-new Amiga/Mac SCI1 sound driver), the game seems to work fine.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Game: Island of Dr. Brain
Game Version: DOS/English
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0svn51289
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Problems:
* 3034485 - script bug that needs a workaround.

The above script bug renders the game impossible to complete.
Last edited by Quietust on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Congratulations team.
I won't be able to do much testing until next weekend. Partly because a number of my SCI games are stored at my parents.
Anyway it's great you've got this far.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Graxer wrote:This game is uncompletable. The game crashes at the beginning when you try to give your opened passport to the guard. (In case it is important, you could get further in earlier builds; It used to crash when you looked at the "ecorder" for a demonstration.)
Could you file a bug report?
Last edited by clone2727 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Graxer wrote:Game: EcoQuest II: Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Game Version: Floppy/DOS/English
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0svn51274
Operating System: Windows 7

Problems:
I like this setup. Added it to the first post as a template for others :)
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Very nice! I own a copy of almost every SCI game, so I guess it's time to get to work. :shock:

Been a while since I've played a lot of these.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Game: King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
Game Version: CD/Windows/English
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0 SVN 51294
Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Problems: The game is completable (both short and long path were tested) with a few bugs and glitches.

3034565 3034567 3034579 3034587 3034597 3034610

Sorry for the duplicate bug postings -- I'm not sure why that happened. Another minor issue that I didn't post a full bug for: when you drink the "Drink Me" potion for the first time (not in the pawn shop) there will be a flashing rectangle of the wrong color near where the cursor is.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Game: Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers
Game Version: CD/Dos/English
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0SVN 51294

Problems: Bug 3034656. There are some layering issues with the big sequel police ship you stow away on, causing the front of the ship to cover the animation of Roger slipping into the landing gear.

The game is completable with basically no bugs. The only issue is that you have to have the speed slider all the way to the top to complete some sequences.
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

What are the files needed to play the games in ScummVM?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

So the Windows version of KQ6 (with the hi-res dialogue portraits) is actually playable in ScummVM now?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

MusicallyInspired wrote:So the Windows version of KQ6 (with the hi-res dialogue portraits) is actually playable in ScummVM now?
It is completable, actually. There's a few crashes but nothing unavoidable.
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

Congratulations team.

I think I´ll be able to do some test this weekend if I find and prepare the soft this days.
Anyway I´ll test some of this interesting adventures soon.

Thanks, very great job.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Game: King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder
Game Version: CD/Dos/English
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0SVN 51294

Problems: Completable with the following bugs: 3034700 3034714.

Additionally, there is a problem that is a bit hard to reproduce, where when you reload a game the music will be badly out of tune (how it used to sound regularly a few months ago). This mainly occurred in the town screen, and in the dark forest.