How to run games through USB?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tegin

How to run games through USB?

Post by tegin »

Hello guys, I can not run the games through USB ... When I get the emulator for the DS, I can only find the directory / SD and USB do not think!

My external HD is partitioned ... The first partition is formatted in WBFS (To play Wii), and the second is formatted in NTFS!

How do I?

Please help me!

Thanks
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I'll assume you use WBFS to backup all your purchased Wii games just for yourself, I can't think of any other use for WBFS, and I'll try to help you.
I'm sure you have to use fat partitioned USB storage. Nothing else will work. Also I've not tried it myself but there is a menu on the '1' button which allows samba shares.
tegin

Post by tegin »

Do you think the HD partitioned the ScummVM can not recognize ... Is that it?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Your USB HD is partitioned with WBFS and NTFS.

ScummVM for Wii only recognises FAT partitioned USB HD storage.
That's why it doesn't work.

Do you have another USB storage device like a USB stick. Just about every USB stick is already partitioned with FAT and will work straight away.
tegin

Post by tegin »

Ohh thanks for the help man!!

I test my USB Flash Drive and works perfectly!
floyd4711

Post by floyd4711 »

didn't work for me.

My HDD is FAT formatted. WiiExplorer and several other applications can connect to it.
But I start ScummVM from the SD-card, maybe thats the problem?
When I try to choose another path in ScummVM I can only see sd:/
I tried to edit the scummvm.ini to existing paths on the HDD e.g.
usb:/SCUMM-Games/DOTT
but that didn't work either.

Can anybody help?

supplement:
HDD 40Gb 1st partition FAT32 active
Scumm version 1.1.1
Last edited by floyd4711 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

I don't care what you do with your Wii, but I would appreciate it if you keep that wbfs warez crap to yourself.
Thanks.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Floyd you might want to drop stuff like forward slashes after 'sd'. I'm not sure if it's the same in all browsers but I assume so as it''s html. I'm not really sure if it's dangerous (security-wise) either but you will have some people wondering why you've made a link to a sd card.

I can't think of any reason why you have trouble with usb. You said you're using 1.1.1. Maybe try giving a 1.2 buildbot version a spin. You find them at the bottom of the Downloads page.

If the thread starter hadn't mentioned a certain file system then maybe dhewg could of helped. He's the Wii ScummVM porter.
Maybe he totally missed your post.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

No, not really.

USB usage is absolutely no problem at all, I'm using a pendrive myself. But both ppl in this thread mentioned the wbfs filesystem, and its only purpose is for loading "backups" (yeah, right), because of the filesize limits of the FAT fs.

But let me say it again: I don't care, I'm just asking to keep warez out of this forum, see rule #0.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I can't see any mention of the file system in question in Floyd's post although I don't know what Wii Explorer is. Maybe that's what you meant? From what I understand it's only the thread starter that uses the file system.
I only know what the file system is myself because somebody mentioned it in an earlier post so I done a google search for myself.
Personally even if I felt like backing up the 3 Wii games I own I wouldn't touch the software. I know all about that guy's history.

Trying to get back on topic do you have any other usb storage devices Floyd? Preferably just using one FAT partition.

Edit
A quick edit due to noticing Floyd's edit. Maybe I missed something in it originally.
floyd4711

Post by floyd4711 »

Sorry,
didn't wanted to annoy or offend anybody.

I edited my post as dhewg mentioned the unwanted filesystem.

I ran some tests, a pendrive works indeed fine.
But the problems make the HDDs. I tried another drive 80Gb 2,5'' only one FAT32 partition, active or not, additional power source, this drive is not recognized by scummvm.

With google you can find other users having the same problem with HDD. So I think there is a problem in scummvm, and I posted in your forum.
If you don't want me, it's fine, but I take it that you don't want me say forbidden words. So I kept them to myself.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I do have a Verbatim 250GB USB2 external 2.5" HDD myself as well as numerous pen drives and never had a problem with them.
The Verbatim is powered all by one USB connection.
I really have no idea why yours is not recognised though. Maybe if it was one complete FAT partition.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Thanks for understanding, floyd.
We have similar problems with the latest HBC version. I suspect it's related to some HDD spinup time that doesn't get respected. The problem lies in the libraries we're using, so far no coders I know could reproduce - maybe because we don't have the need for huge storage devices (sorry, couldn't resist :P)
floyd4711

Post by floyd4711 »

spinup time? interesting.

I tried the first HDD again but loaded some stuff in WiiMC (Wii Media Centre) from the HDD before starting ScummVM and voila Monkey Island 3 is playable. I'll keep an eye on this behaviour, but this is an acceptable workaround.
Hope this wasn't a single event, I can't play MI3 this evening ;-)

Let me know if I can help testing HDD bugfixes.
ScummVM is great and on Wii excellent.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I seem to recall you need an extra file (installer) with WiiMC to give USB2 function? Don't know about USB 1.1
Now I don't keep up with things that well but I also think that Wii ScummVM uses libogc and that only has USB 1.1 support. So when you use Wii ScummVM and USB it's only working at 1.1 bandwidth. That (libogc) might of changed by now.
Whatever I hope it continues to work for you.