Nintendo DS ScummVM version not working (strange ascii)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pitto

Nintendo DS ScummVM version not working (strange ascii)

Post by pitto »

Hello everybody!

I am desperately trying to run various games on my Nintendo DS with the latest ScummVM found on this forum.

When I start scummvm-a.nds the program starts. In the nds' bottom screen the font's a little blurry but none cares.

I click on "add game" and I select the folder where I have the game I want to start and click on choose.

"ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!"

So I click ok and get into the directory with ScummVM to see what's inside and I just find strange ascii characters =:O

Any hints?

Have fun!
pitto

Post by pitto »

Update:

I've tried all the free and downloadable software from your wiki (there's a list of games that you are legally entitled to download)...
Same problem :O
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Check the readme for ScummVM DS a bit more carefully. I would bet you are probably trying to run the wrong games for the build you ran. Each build (A-K) will run a different set of games. Check the website/readme for more info. The freeware games you mentioned, for example, will run in build B and G, not A.
another world

Post by another world »

for more information on supported games read this:
http://scummvm.org/compatibility/

the above list will provide a better idea of supported versions, however not all games are supported by scummvmds.

if you click on your problem game:
http://scummvm.org/compatibility/SVN/indy3/

the page clearly states "- FM-TOWNS Kanji version requires the FM-TOWNS Font ROM".

you have not bothered to debug anything or submit to us what type of flash kit you are using. your problem could be a bad flash kit, a contact issue, a bad firmware, a corrupt micro sd card, or more.
pitto wrote:Update:
I've tried all the free and downloadable software from your wiki (there's a list of games that you are legally entitled to download)...
all supported files on scummvmds which are freely available from this site work correctly. i've tested them multiple times while debugging each new version of scummvmds.

-another world
pitto

Post by pitto »

I'm sorry if I wasn't accurate now I know what kind of information to provide :)

In my case I'm using a DS Lite with a DS Happy Box r4 Sdhc (www.r4isdhc.com on the cartdige).

I was able to see scummvm work again after formatting my card and reinstalling a clean firmware.

A strange info is that when I enter in a folder using both the r4 "file manager" or scummvm (while choosing the folder in add game) I find different folders with very strange characters as name but the folder doesn't really exist in the filesystem.

Now I'm out to read carefully info about compatibility in the suggested links.

Fair thanks, friends :)

ps
the other day I've landed in the compatibility page but there are no details about the version

e.g.
Manic Mansion Fully working A
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders Fully working A

So I assume that all Zak's version (dos, cga, ega, fmtowns, anything) are working with the A version of scummvm for nds?
I do suppose so because in other cases is specified

e.g.
Fatty Bear's Fun Pack Fully working A DOS version only).
pitto

Post by pitto »

Hi everybody...

I'm still fighting with flight of the amazon queen...

I'm using version B as suggested and it found the game in the folder: really good. I feel stupid for not reading it.

Now when I start the game I get both screens black...

Any hints?

ps
I also have all the files needed for revolution software adventure games that are provided with the latest version of scummvm for nds and put those files both in the root folder where I have scummvm-B and in the game folder
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

pitto wrote:Hi everybody...

I'm still fighting with flight of the amazon queen...

I'm using version B as suggested and it found the game in the folder: really good. I feel stupid for not reading it.

Now when I start the game I get both screens black...

Any hints?

ps
I also have all the files needed for revolution software adventure games that are provided with the latest version of scummvm for nds and put those files both in the root folder where I have scummvm-B and in the game folder
I just tried Queen and it works OK. Using the 83MB version from the Downloads page. You have downloaded 'queen.tbl' and put it in the same directory as 'queen.1' I assume? It's also on the Downloads page. The last item in the Queen downloads section. It's a small download - 1MB.

A useful link if, like many, you missed the sticky.

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/

For a basic understanding of what works with DS ScummVM think PC DOS only. I'm not rich enough to buy FM Towns games but I do own PC Engine / TG16 Loom and that doesn't work with DS ScummVM.
another world

Post by another world »

your problem is probably the fact that you are using a clone card with old support and a hacked dldi file. your firmware is a hack of a decrypted copy of the official r4 v1.18 firmware and a combination of wood r4. the r4il team has not updated their firmware for over 8 months, the last update was a port of their firmware using the wood r4 loaders (which are open-source). with the wood r4 loaders the firmware received better nds support but no fixes for homebrew.

the r4 has not been a manufactured card since 2008, all r4 cards being produced now are clones or cheap knock-offs of the original. when you have a cheap card with an unsupported firmware you end up having many of the "odd" problems you are experiencing right now.

you should pick up an acekard2 and use the akaio firmware. i've been running scummvmds on the acekard products since the very beginning with no problems on my ds lite, dsi, or dsi XL.

Acekard's at Shoptemp.com

Shoptemp is part of the gbatemp network. they offer a 6 month return on all products.

besides purchasing a new card you should format your current micro sd card and try it in your cloned r4 again. use the panasonic formatting tool

Download the tool here

good luck!
pitto

Post by pitto »

Thank you mates for accurate and kind help!

I'll try to get an acecard and maybe sell my poor clone...
I've found out that the main problem about my cloned r4 is that it doesn't support well 8 gb cards...
Until it's 50% full (4 gb) everything works great, as soon as I stuff more things in it, it starts to act weird.

Thanks again! :)
another world

Post by another world »

i can't recall which r4 it was, but one of the clones gained sdhc (4gb-32gb) micro sd card support through a firmware upgrade. as it was not a hardware fix it caused many problems. i remember reading about issues similiar to what you have described.

the only r4 i can recommend is the one sold at shoptemp. it is a 1:1 hardware "copy" and not actually a clone. its based on the same design specs as the original r4. it only cost $6, and many people report that it works great with newly updated wood r4 firmware. however, it has a 2gb msd limitation.

cheers!
-another world