Translate ScummVM in other languages

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

GoodOldGeorg wrote:If i change the language to hungarian the scummvm says :
Failed to load localized font 'helvb12.bdf'. Using non-localized font and GUI language instead!

Debug log:
File::open: opening 'helvb12-iso-8859-2.fcc' failed
File::open: opening 'helvb12-iso-8859-2.bdf' failed

I create helvb12-iso-8859-2.bdf with font-util-1.2.0 (ucs2any helvB12.bdf 8859-1.TXT ISO8859-1 8859-2.TXT ISO8859-2)
Please any help me, how to create required helvb12-iso-8859-2.fcc file ?
I need to update that part in the wiki :wink:
The fcc file is a cache file created by ScummVM when first loading the bdf font. So you do not need to create it yourself. The real problem here is that it cannot find the helvb12-iso-8859-2.bdf' font. It looks in two places for it: the theme and the executable directory (and on some platforms there are additional places). So the easiest is to place the font file in the executable directory. I just tested and it works for me (hopefully it works on any platform).
Note that the Mordern Theme needs two more fonts (clR6x12 and fixed5x8). So it will complain about those as well.

Edit: sev was quicker :twisted:
saulob

Post by saulob »

Just one update ;)
My translation (Portuguese-BR) is going strong.

On last weekend I did 39% of it, I will try to finish this weekend. Going fine.

Thanks.

Edit:

75% translated... almost there! :P
Last edited by saulob on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoodOldGeorg

Post by GoodOldGeorg »

Thanks for help :lol:
Hungarian language report
77% complete
GoodOldGeorg

Post by GoodOldGeorg »

Hungarian translation is finished and Uploaded :lol:
saulob

Post by saulob »

And it's done, PT-BR translation is already on the tracker. I just uploaded.

Hope it all works :)
saulob

Post by saulob »

What amazing thing. I downloaded the last snapshot and it was there, impressive work guys.

Got some texts to update and fix, I will upload on the same post right? Hope it's alright.

Well, some spots on ScummVM is missing on the translation file, let me show to you guys, some pictures:

"Disable EGA dithering"

The "help" screens inside the game.

I remember that when I edited the source code and translated ScummVM manually I was able to translate that text, let me show:

This is ScummVM 0.10.0, I edited manually the source and translated these strings, no problem. I thought that we could translated that too with the PO files, but no luck.

But, the next two I was unable to translate on the source and on the PO file, is it possible?

Thank you guys.

criezy, thank you very much. I updated the file, I hope that I made everything right :)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

saulob wrote:But, the next two I was unable to translate on the source and on the PO file, is it possible?
The pause/restart game messages of SCUMM games come from the original data files, thus they will not be translated.
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

For the "Disable EGA Dithering": Yes, that could be done easily (although I'm not quite happy with the wording; maybe it could be called something like "Enable EGA Antidithering").

For the pause and restart: No, this cannot be changed as these are messages inside the game's data resources.
Last edited by SimSaw on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

SimSaw wrote:For the "Disable EGA Dithering": I think the discussion was not ended yet whether it will remain this way or if it will be changed to "Enable EGA Dithering". That's why I think it should stay out of the translation for the moment. I personally would prefer if the option would change to "enable", so the user would have to opt-in instead of opt-out.
(I think this is better because ScummVM doesn't pre-select HQ3x either.)

For the pause and restart: No, this cannot be changed as these are messages inside the game's data resources.
The original games came with dithering. "Disable EGA Dithering" is an opt-in feature, "Enable EGA Dithering" isn't
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

Ah, it seems I confused something. The thing is that "disable dithering" suggests that a function is disabled rather than a feature is called to have a specific effect on the graphics.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

"Disable dithering" still is misleading, IMHO. I would call it "Remove dithering" or "Suppress dithering" or so.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

saulob wrote:What amazing thing. I downloaded the last snapshot and it was there, impressive work guys.
Thanks, but for the Brazilian Portuguese translation you made most of the work. :D
saulob wrote:Well, some spots on ScummVM is missing on the translation file:

"Disable EGA dithering"
You can already translate it, but you did not translate it in the po file you provided.
saulob wrote:The "help" screens inside the game.
I just added that possibility, so you can translate it now. Some more work for you. :wink:
saulob

Post by saulob »

Thank you for the info about the texts on the game guys.

criezy, perfect, more text to translate ;)

But, the "Disable EGA dithering" isn't on the PO file I got, really. Strange.

Well, I need some help. The 'original' PO was updated with more text right? How can I add the 'new' text on the already translated PO that I have?

Or I should start again? I don't want to miss the 370 strings I already translated ;)

Thanks
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

The way I see it, "Disable dithering", or "Remove dithering" or other expressions alike are kind of misleading for the end user.

Sierra games came dithered, so dithering is not the real ScummVM feature, there's nothing to "disable". I believe it would be more correct to express it like "Enable EGA undithering", as undithering is the authentic ScummVM feature, which you can enable or leave disabled (if it's going to be disabled by default).

Apart from that "technical" reason, I'd also find that expression more suitable for the unexperienced end user. I find undithering as something positive (that you can use or not according to your personal taste). Given that, I believe users should find the undithering option as something they can give a try (and see what it is), not something they can "disable" from the original game. Using such negative terms, unexperienced users could be afraid of "touching" something that could remove part of the game experience, instead of enabling an enhancement.

That's just an opinion, of course, though I believe the undithering feature should be treated as the great step forward it means, completely out of the discussion about it being left enabled or disabled by default.