(Non)-bypassed copyprotection in some (LA) games

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

a.borque

(Non)-bypassed copyprotection in some (LA) games

Post by a.borque »

Hello!
I am a bit confused on the rules for bypassing copy protections. I thought, when a game was released without any protection by its original owner at some point in the past, ScummVM would bypass the protection also.
I played Monkey Island 1 and Indiana Jones 3 (both German VGA) using ScummVM 0.9.x without any protection-problem.
Now I tried to play both games in German EGA versions and was surprised to find these games still protected.
Of course the latest readme does not list these games as bypassed, but I found both listed as bypassed games in a ScummVM-version released in 2006.
Basicly this is no problem as I own the necessary original games, but it would be much easier without having to take paper based protection.
Did the copy-protection-bypassing-rules for some games change over time in ScummVM, or is it possibly a regression in later releases. or perhaps a problem with the (rare) German EGA versions of the games?
Thanks for any answers and clarification on this!
a.borque
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: (Non)-bypassed copyprotection in some (LA) games

Post by Raziel »

a.borque wrote:Hello!
I am a bit confused on the rules for bypassing copy protections. I thought, when a game was released without any protection by its original owner at some point in the past, ScummVM would bypass the protection also.
I played Monkey Island 1 and Indiana Jones 3 (both German VGA) using ScummVM 0.9.x without any protection-problem.
Now I tried to play both games in German EGA versions and was surprised to find these games still protected.
Of course the latest readme does not list these games as bypassed, but I found both listed as bypassed games in a ScummVM-version released in 2006.
Basicly this is no problem as I own the necessary original games, but it would be much easier without having to take paper based protection.
Did the copy-protection-bypassing-rules for some games change over time in ScummVM, or is it possibly a regression in later releases. or perhaps a problem with the (rare) German EGA versions of the games?
Thanks for any answers and clarification on this!
a.borque
The cp was *only* bypassed if either
a) a game version was released that had it bypassed or
b) the original developers allowed the team to do so for all versions

So it's no suprise you found version of MI that has them still in (espespecially the EGA version as that version never existed without the cp and LA would never -not in a million years- allow it to be skipped)
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

I am very glad to see the ongoing respect for the intentions of the original developers of the games that are enabled by ScummVM, it is great to see this respect and honouring of the development and production. Kudos and Regards to the entire ScummVM team :)