easy game setup questions

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

raygundan

easy game setup questions

Post by raygundan »

A few (hopefully easy) questions from a palmOS scummVM newbie:

1. What goes in the field labelled "game" when you're setting up a game?

2. Is the path field the path to the Mods folder, the path to the Games folder, the path to the folder the specific game is in, or the path to the folder just above Mods and Games (/Palm/Programs/ScummVM/) -- or something else altogether?

3. Does the path need or care about leading or trailing slashes ("/")?

I apologize if these should be obvious-- I have been unable to find clear information about these fields in the documentation or the forums.
raygundan

Got one working

Post by raygundan »

After some trial and error, I've lucked into the right settings. I know what goes in the path fields now, but even though I managed to guess that "monkey2" is what goes in the "game" field, I'd like to know exactly what it means and what the list of allowed values is for future reference.

I'm guessing it's the short name for the games that scummvm uses-- does anybody have a good list? Would it make sense to stick 'em in a drop-down box to prevent confusion?

Thanks again to everybody involved with the palmOS port and the VM itself-- brilliant work all around.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

to find out your game id try adding the game in direct mode (start with no game selected, deselect the game by tapping it again) this looks just like the regular scummvm GUI. The id are specific: EGA MI is monkeyEGA, dott is tentacle, indy4 is atlantis, sam and max is samnmax. also if you have acsess to a version of 0.7.1 for your comp you can use it to make a list of game ids
raygundan

thanks!!

Post by raygundan »

That helps-- knowing that the game field is supposed to be the short game id is what I needed. I dug out the docs for the PC version, and found the list there. I'd still recommend making a drop-down in the setup GUI to make this easier for newbies like myself-- even having been a ScummVM user on the PC for years, I wasn't sure what to put there. If anybody else needs the list, it is available in the README for the PC version of scummvm here:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... 8-2/README

On another note, I've only succeeded in getting monkey2 to run via the launcher. I've managed to run FOTAQ and BASS via direct mode, but can't seem to get it working from the launcher. Oh well-- as long as I can play, I'm happy. :)
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

i agree on the drop down menu idea, it would nake testing a little bit faster, but, afaik, crillith (the PalmOS dev) has been pretty busy lately just trying to get the new release out so im not sure about feature requests at this point.
For fotaq make sure that you have the queen engine selcted on the engine drop down menu (also make sure you have queen.engine in your mods folder, as well as queen.data but only if you are using 0.7.*). im not sure what version of ScummVM palmOS you are running, but i am pretty sure that the sky engine
(bass) is only supported in the new arm test version
raygundan

Got it working...

Post by raygundan »

Turns out it was just typos, as it usually is. I recruited a friend to check my paths, since I was apparently having one of those "I can't see the error" blind-spot moments, and he spotted it right away.

The ARM version is up and running happily. :)

No worries on the drop list-- it seems like a good idea, but I'd rather the engine got the work if his time is limited. (isn't everyone's?)

Thanks again for your help!