ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > PocketPC/WinCE Port > Monkey3 + Touch Pro = ScummVM crashes by pushing a Button!
Monkey3 + Touch Pro = ScummVM crashes by pushing a Button!
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
MauRi

Monkey3 + Touch Pro = ScummVM crashes by pushing a Button! 

Hey Guys!
I hope you can help me. Today I spend my time to install ScummVM (Version 1.1.1) and Monkey 3 on the devise HTC Touch Pro (using WM 6.5 Build 21872) !
So far, so good.
After I figured out, how to use ScummVM, how to assign the keys and how to make to disappear the menu-bar at the bottom I was really happy to meet Guybrush Threepwood again!
The encounter with Wally ends, as expected, in crying and I wanted to save the game.

Pushing the key to make the menu-bar appear, ScummVM crashes totally! I tried some other keys, but always the same reaction.

Any ideas to solve this problem?
Greetz
MauRi

Post Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 pm 
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

OK, so that's a 640x480 device. I'll see if I can provoke the same problem on my 800x480 device here at some point - but I can't promise when...

Robin

Post Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 am 
MauRi

Big thx!

Next question: there are 3 different versions of ScummVM

ScummVM: quits with an error: (2:2003:0xB6): createResource(Sound,246): Out of memory while allocating 1966160
Any ideas why? Free program-memory-space~ 85MB
The gamefiles are stored on the memorystick. There I have ~500MB free. Dont know if its important to know.

ScummVM1: COMI crashes by pushing any button. Taking the staff from the wall first and then speaking to Wally or first speaking to Wally has no effect/make no difference. Its something like a time-bomb. After about 15sec. any button ends in crashing the program

ScummVM2: pushing the start-button has no effect. Only the menu-bar of ScummVM appears in the bottom. When clicking on the ape to rotate the screen, an information says, that
using SDL driver wingapi
Display 480x640 (real 480x640)

Monkey 2 runs without problems.

Post Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 am 
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

I can confirm that I have reproduced the problem on my device. Can't promise how long it will take to find time to look for a cure though.

quote:
Originally posted by MauRi
Next question: there are 3 different versions of ScummVM

Yes. And the ReadMe-WinCE.txt explains why.

Scumm is a combined build with all the engines in. Expect this to be too big for some devices to cope with. Hence we provide 2 smaller 'split' executables.

quote:
ScummVM: quits with an error: (2:2003:0xB6): createResource(Sound,246): Out of memory while allocating 1966160
Any ideas why? Free program-memory-space~ 85MB
The gamefiles are stored on the memorystick. There I have ~500MB free. Dont know if its important to know.

It's too big. 85Meg of build in memory does not mean 85 Meg of memory available to a single process.

quote:

ScummVM1: COMI crashes by pushing any button. Taking the staff from the wall first and then speaking to Wally or first speaking to Wally has no effect/make no difference. Its something like a time-bomb. After about 15sec. any button ends in crashing the program

This is the problem we're investigating, yes.

quote:

ScummVM2: pushing the start-button has no effect. Only the menu-bar of ScummVM appears in the bottom. When clicking on the ape to rotate the screen, an information says, that
using SDL driver wingapi
Display 480x640 (real 480x640)

There is no Scumm engine built into ScummVM2 - I'm surprised you even get that far. You wouldn't expect it to cope.

Robin
Post Fri May 14, 2010 5:30 pm 
MauRi

Thank you very much for your support.
First of all: for sure, I had to read the text-file. Sry

The bottom line is I have to use ScummVM without any numbers, right? But it isnt working. Is there a possibilty to fix this problem or avoiding it?
Iam not sure, but I think I read somewhere, that another version dont load all Files, only the ones that are in this moment needed?! Would this virtual machine avoiding the problem with out of memory-Error?

So long,
MauRi

Post Fri May 14, 2010 6:29 pm 
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by MauRi
The bottom line is I have to use ScummVM without any numbers, right?

No.

ScummVM without any numbers is the one with all the engines built in. If you use that it's quite likely that you'll run out of memory and die.

Instead you should use *either* ScummVM1.exe or ScummVM2.exe as appropriate for the game you are trying to play.

For COMI this means you should use ScummVM1.exe. That seems to make the game work, until you run into the 'crashing when pressing a button' problem. That's a bug I need to look into.

Robin
Post Mon May 17, 2010 8:48 am 
amin123

quote:
Originally posted by robinwatts

For COMI this means you should use ScummVM1.exe. That seems to make the game work, until you run into the 'crashing when pressing a button' problem. That's a bug I need to look into.

Robin

I have the same problem with Monkey Island 3 (HTC HD2/Version 1.1.1), is there any solution yet?

greets
Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:52 pm 
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by amin123
I have the same problem with Monkey Island 3 (HTC HD2/Version 1.1.1), is there any solution yet?

I haven't had a chance to look yet, and it will be at least a few weeks before I do. If anyone else cares to try to find the bug, please feel free!

Sorry,

Robin
Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:05 pm 
MauRi

Don't rush! Iam now playing MI2, its cool too!

I was just impressed as i saw MI3 on the HTC TOuch Pro. I didn't knew that my phone is able to handle the game.

I would search for the bug, but i have no idea of the software and first of all: how to search for it.

Thx for the support anyway!
MauRi

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 am 
aplnx

I'm having the same problem 

I was playing Full Throttle when the game crashed. The message occured in createResource(sound, 749) function. I can't see the complete message but I guess that is Out of memory.

I have HTC Touch (p3450 elf) with windows mobile. How I can disable the sound to continue playing?

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:04 am 
Reply to topic