Old Sierra Adventures?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Xerosch

Old Sierra Adventures?

Post by Xerosch »

Hi!
Does anyone know if there are plans to include classic Sierra Adventures? I´d love to get the old Gabriel Knight, King´s Quest 5/6 or Larry games running under Windows.
Also, implementation of Kyrandia 2 and 3 would be great!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Old Sierra Adventures?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Xerosch wrote:Hi!
Does anyone know if there are plans to include classic Sierra Adventures? I´d love to get the old Gabriel Knight, King´s Quest 5/6 or Larry games running under Windows.
Also, implementation of Kyrandia 2 and 3 would be great!
This question comes up every now and then and the answer is always the same: There are no plans for supporting Sierra games in ScummVM as there are already other projects like FreeSCI and Sarien devoted to that.

I've heard the developers responsible for reverse engineering Kyrandia 1 have started looking at Kyrandia 2, but I don't know what the status is. I don't know about Kyrandia 3 either.
Collector

Post by Collector »

As I said in the other thread, most of the Sierra games work just fine in DOSBox. You may want get the new patches made by NewRisingSun to take care of the speed bugs that plauge many of the old Sierra games on new systems. DOSBox will run on other platforms, such as Mac OSX and Linux, as well.

DOSBox

NewRisingSun's SCI Patch Page
noize

Post by noize »

FreeSCI team just released 0.3.5 & 0.6.2 builds a couple days ago.

Anyone has a win32 build?
Collector

Post by Collector »

Until they release gluten, FreeSCI will only work with the early SCI games. FreeSCI isn't advanced enough to be of much use to most people. If only it were in as active development as ScummVM.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Re: Old Sierra Adventures?

Post by Vinterstum »

Xerosch wrote: Also, implementation of Kyrandia 2 and 3 would be great!
We haven't even quite finished Kyra1 yet, so don't expect Kyra2 and 3 support for quite some time :). We've barely started looking at it, but only time will tell how different the codebase is from Kyra1 (which is a direct factor in how long it will take to implement it).
Sedryn

Post by Sedryn »

It's too bad the ScummVM team isn't interested in implementing the old AGI/SCI Sierra adventure games.

They're some of the best adventure games ever made and the projects mentioned that are working on them aren't nearly as active as ScummVM.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Interest has nothing to do with it, let's not reinvent a dead horse.
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

I just wish someone'd make discworld (1&2) playable somewhere...3 also, since I get it installed, started and then it throws me out after 10-15 minutes of gameplay...
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

Sedryn wrote:It's too bad the ScummVM team isn't interested in implementing the old AGI/SCI Sierra adventure games.

They're some of the best adventure games ever made and the projects mentioned that are working on them aren't nearly as active as ScummVM.
A snail is more active than these projects.

The Sarien project hasn't been active for over 2 years. Most now assume it dead. Most the download links on their site are dead anyways. They received some new daily snapshots in Feb, by one of the non-admin developers. I've emailed him to find out what's going on with Sarien, if it is truly a dead project, like NAGI. If he is the only developer left then he should come under the wing of ScummVM and bring AGI to your lovely program :P .

As for FreeSCI, yes their active, but their progress has been slow and they've barely made any updates the last two months. Looking at their changelog, it just shows less and less interest by the developers, a very similar pattern to the Sarien project. They also seem to have little or no regard for the non-linux builds of their program. This is kinda understandable as their project was initially intended for linux only. But they don't even provide a Win32 pre-compile build for download on their site, yet they provide it for all other platforms they support. I've emailed them about providing a Win32 build on the site, because they've at least got it to work fully for SQ3, and I'm eager to play it :D.

EDIT: Got a reply about the Sarien project, the developer I emailed basically told me the project is dead as the main developers have moved on. So any developers interested in doing an AGI engine for ScummVM? :D

EDIT: Got a repy from FreeSCI about Win32 builds. Apparently, due to lack of interest they don't maintain FreeSCI for a Win32 build and therefore they currently don't support Win32 :cry:
Qvist

Post by Qvist »

EDIT: Got a repy from FreeSCI about Win32 builds. Apparently, due to lack of interest they don't maintain FreeSCI for a Win32 build and therefore they currently don't support Win32 Crying or Very sad
That's the main problem for me too, even if the project exist, it's not even compiled for my system :/ It doesn't need to be updated, just compiled. Maybe someone can convince Kirben (or someone else) to make a win32 build =)
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

Someone has taken up the dead project of NAGI, and is already implementing features Sarien did have and NAGI didn't. The most important of which is mouse support. Finally can get Roger Wilco to walk around without the arrow keys. Fully supports all the AGI sierra games, and he's currently working on a way to improve the palettes I believe. Anyways, nice to see some progress with the Sierra engines.

Here's the link to he's site, he unfortunatly only hosts the source code and a Win32 build, so you'll have to compile it yourself if you want a build for linux etc.

http://www.winagi.cjb.net/

Oh and about compiling a Win32 build of FreeSCI, I wouldn't even bother. The Win32 build is apparently very buggy from what I've heard. Frequent crashes, sound problems and doesn't support fullscreen. But they do have one active Win32 build developer on the team still, fighting the good fight, so fingers crossed and wait I guess :P
Collector

Post by Collector »

Three things that I dislike about NAGI are the close button does not work, no aspect correction and that Alt+Enter will not let you switch between windowed mode and full screen on the fly. Sarien has most of these, except for full screen. But if Sarien is dead, it is nice that someone is picking up the reins of NAGI from Nick Sonneveld.
DarkSoul

Post by DarkSoul »

After some nagging (from me :oops: ), FreeSCI compiled and released a Win32 build, and fullscreen is still not supported for Win32. Have to place Space Quest 3 in a tiny window :cry: But I've been reassured they have an active Win32 developer who's goal is to bring the Win32 version up to the same quality as the linux version.

I also don't like the fact that you can't determine the config file location, or determine where FreeSCI stores your saves. I wouldn't mind if the location was the same directory as FreeSCI itself, but its not, and thats annoying, as I keep FreeSCI on an external and when it gets moved to another computer, I have to manually move the saves and config.
Eilhan

Try this engine...

Post by Eilhan »

Well, if you're interested in playing the very old Sierra AGI games, I'd recommend trying out... ScummVM. Yesterday, Aquadran imported an AGI engine into ScummVM, and the binaries available on the Downloads page includes this engine. I'm not entirely sure exactly which games are supported, but I know for sure it supports King's Quest 1, Leisure Suit Larry 1, and Space Quest 2 (Not the VGA remakes, mind you). Those are the old ones I actually have myself, but there're probably a few more - I'll leave it to others to confirm.

Kudos to whoever contributed to this magnificent new engine! I never thought I'd see the day when ScummVM would enable me to play Sierra games.

-E