iPad port

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hansi

Post by Hansi »

cpfoxhunt wrote:Is there any way to make ScummVM on the ipad look in the 'home' directory for games rather than in /root? The /root partition seems to be much smaller in size and can't seem to fit curse of monkey island on it.
Just symlink between partitions (ln -s target origin)
cpfoxhunt

Post by cpfoxhunt »

Hansi wrote: Just symlink between partitions (ln -s target origin)
Unfortunately I have come over all 'typical ipad user' - I'm afraid I have no idea how to do that. Every program I use to get into the ipad, whether by usb with PhoneDisk or sshing in with netatalk or cyberduck seems to set things out in a different ways, with stuff duplicated at many different levels.

On top of that I have no idea how I would create a symlink. Can anyone point me towards an idiots guide either the symlinks and the filesystem, or to getting the Curse working on the ipad?

Thanks!
sushi_in_fishbowl

Post by sushi_in_fishbowl »

cpfoxhunt wrote:Unfortunately I have come over all 'typical ipad user' - I'm afraid I have no idea how to do that. Every program I use to get into the ipad, whether by usb with PhoneDisk or sshing in with netatalk or cyberduck seems to set things out in a different ways, with stuff duplicated at many different levels.

On top of that I have no idea how I would create a symlink. Can anyone point me towards an idiots guide either the symlinks and the filesystem, or to getting the Curse working on the ipad?

Thanks!
Hi.

Not sure whats happening, but ive got the following games on my iPad, all installed using iPhoneBrowser:

Day of the Tentacle
Discworld
Full Throttle
Indiana Jones 3
Sam & Max
Simon the Sorceror 2
7th Guest
Curse of Monkey Island
Zak McKracken

All are located in a folder in /var/mobile/ScummVM/ and in their own folder therein.

Not sure why you would find insufficiant space if you do the same, my ScummVM games alone are using up about 4GB.

Regards
sushi_in_fishbowl

Not sure if it will help, but I put a short clip on youtube showing me adding a game to my iPad - still plenty of room available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKZhPpXa8dU

Regards
cpfoxhunt

Post by cpfoxhunt »

What partition is your var on? Using netatalk, my var file is on the root partition, and I only have 318mb of space left, whilst on the 'home' partition I have a good few gig. Yet the ScummVM software seems only able to see stuff in the root partition. How do I shortcut from one to another and is this just an artefact of sshing in from a mac, or have I imposed some weird settings somewhere along the way?

Thanks very much for all the help so far.
sushi_in_fishbowl

Not sure about that mate, I would assume it's the same location on all ipad and iPhones.

I have also used Putty to install a game using SSH to the same location without a problem. I will have another look at the folder structure later and see if I can figure out what's happening for you.

Regards
cpfoxhunt

Post by cpfoxhunt »

I think I've figured it out. There is always 310 mb free on root, which means that so long as I copy over only files smaller than 310mb at a time, it works. So if I simply create a folder and put the component bits over spearately, I should be able to play.

Thank you very much for all the help I've received with this issue,
*goes and finishes monkey island 2 SE slightly shamefacedly*
Mutajon

Post by Mutajon »

Just wanted to report (and ask if there's something to be done) that "I have no mouth, and I must scream" is , unfortunately, unplayable on the iPad (using ScummVM 1.1.1). The ScummVM app simply crashes every time I press the start button on that game (tried rebooting, other games I've tried are working fine).

Something I can do to get it to work?

Thanks!

Edit:
It's the DOS/English version, and yeah I made sure I have all the right files (as they are mentioned here).
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Mutajon wrote:Something I can do to get it to work?
Yes. Please try the game on your desktop to make sure your files are OK.

Then launch ScummVM from the terminal with -d9 command line flag and provide last 3 lines of output, but please do it on our bugtracker. Then be prepared to retest when neeeded :).

Eugene
Mutajon

Post by Mutajon »

Ok thanks! Assuming the files will be allright (will check tomorrow, not near the right computer now) I need some clarifications please:
1) What does it mean from the terminal? From an MS-DOS window?
2) How do I run something with the -d9 command line flage? (I'd love to just get the line I'm supposed to type in...)

Thanks for the patience... :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Mutajon wrote: 1) What does it mean from the terminal? From an MS-DOS window?
2) How do I run something with the -d9 command line flage? (I'd love to just get the line I'm supposed to type in...)
Ahem, there is no MS-DOS on that thing usually :), but if you meant that black box where you type in the commands, then yes.

The command line has to be "scummvm -d9"

Eugene
Mutajon

Post by Mutajon »

Oops.. :oops: Thought you meant the terminal on the computer which I thought is the MS-DOS (no computer background what so ever... :? )

Anyway, the files were tested from the comp and work fine. Only question now is how do I get to the terminal on the iPad?
Mutajon

Post by Mutajon »

Mutajon wrote: Only question now is how do I get to the terminal on the iPad?
Ummm... I would really appreciate any help. I'm more than willing to do the necessary testing and reporting in the bugtracker so that I (and definitely other players) could enjoy this game on the iPad platform. I just need some guidance... :)

Thanks!
theorion

Post by theorion »

ok, someone asked who was behind the scumvm on cydia.
Apparently the port is linked to this email vintersturm@users.sourceforge.net
and they are called vintersum

As for the source urbanfanatics.com dosnt seem to be able to be added on the ipad, wifi + 3gs 64gb version with 3.2.1, im being told something with legacy..

EDIT: Apparently i just had to go into reposotories and find it, i couldnt add it manually..

I would love to be able to get the real version of scummVm installed on my ipad :P
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Mutajon wrote:Ummm... I would really appreciate any help. I'm more than willing to do the necessary testing and reporting in the bugtracker so that I (and definitely other players) could enjoy this game on the iPad platform. I just need some guidance... :)
Ah, sorry. This is exactly why there is this rule on the forums "Do not post bugreports here", that is, there is no notification or any tracking of what's going on.

You need to install a terminal app from Cydia, such as Mobile Terminal.

Eugene