N64 port - where to find "genromfs"?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

N64 port - where to find "genromfs"?

Post by marzipan »

The readme file for this new port suggests using the tool known as "genromfs" to generate a romdisk file - but it doesn't include it in the package, nor does it suggest where to find a copy.

Seems this is a very Linux-centric tool - checking romfs.sourceforge.net reveals no Windows binaries I can use. Can anyone suggest something pretty please?

Thank you. :)
Morden

Post by Morden »

If you're running Windows, grab the Cygwin version here and Cygwin itself here.

Additionally, ChillyWilly posted some info and tools on the NeoFlash boards, which you might find helpful [or not, since it's a Linux toolchain]. Read his post here.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Hmmmm, that Cygwin executable is dated 2002, while the current latest genromfs source is from 2007. I'm thinking about possibly creating a new executable through Cygwin (or even MinGW if it's possible).

ChillyWilly's n64dev archive contains a "genromfs" file, but alas it's a Linux ELF. Seems it doesn't get as much love on the Windows circuit!
Morden

Post by Morden »

marzipan wrote:Hmmmm, that Cygwin executable is dated 2002
It's from Dan Potter's / Cryptic Allusion site for Feet of Fury. You'd need it if you wanted to make swap CDs for the game, so yea, it's old, but it should work.
marzipan wrote:ChillyWilly's n64dev archive contains a "genromfs" file, but alas it's a Linux ELF.
Yea, like I said, it's a Linux toolchain. You could always try VMware along with Xubuntu.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I believe there are some Linux distros that come as an .exe these days. This is off the top of my head but I think Damn Small Linux is one. There's also Wubi for Ubuntu.
May I suggest Marzipan that if you have a spare/old PC it's worth installing Linux on to it. Even if just for the learning experience.
I'd like to try the N64 version myself. Those Myth flash carts are a little expensive though.