COMI - Support for native Save/Load Screens?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Typhon

COMI - Support for native Save/Load Screens?

Post by Typhon »

Hi!

I was wondering if it is planned to support the native save/load screens for COMI. Those look much nicer than the ScummVM GUI and it also had a nice joke on it (3D-Acceleration).

Every non-Scumm game has its native save/load screens, so why not COMI? I'm not sure if FT or DIG have such screens as well, but if they do this request also applies to them.

I there a specific reason why this has not been done yet?
JKing

Post by JKing »

Well, for one COMI is not a non-SCUMM game, but besides that... :)
If I recall correctly, both The Dig and Full Throttle used the familiar F5 save/load screen. Full Throttle I remember quite clearly; The Dig I didn't play very much until I picked it up in ScummVM (my monitor was too dark for much of the game), so I may be wrong about that.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

The SCUMM games up to Indy3 have custom savegame graphics. The later games including The Dig do not.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: COMI - Support for native Save/Load Screens?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Typhon wrote:Hi!

I was wondering if it is planned to support the native save/load screens for COMI. Those look much nicer than the ScummVM GUI and it also had a nice joke on it (3D-Acceleration).

Every non-Scumm game has its native save/load screens, so why not COMI? I'm not sure if FT or DIG have such screens as well, but if they do this request also applies to them.

I there a specific reason why this has not been done yet?
My guess would be that the save/load screen in the non-SCUMM games tend to be hard-coded into the game engine, while the SCUMM games that had cusom save/load screens implemented them as game scripts. ScummVM's implementation of some of the script opcodes used there probably isn't very well tested, and having it integrate smoothly with how ScummVM usually handles the savegames might be tricky.

But of course, I could be wrong about that.