problem with monkey island 3

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marulio

problem with monkey island 3

Post by marulio »

Hello!
First sorry because I'm a newbie and not a really good english speaker.
Anyway, I have some problems to install monkey island 3 in my psp.
I search quite a long time without success so I'm trying to find some help here.
In fact I read some tutorials and they are speaking about: compress_san.exe and compress_scumm_bun.exe
They explain that I should recuper it with scummVM Q+E. I have this program but it's not working! I saw in http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software that:
This program has been discontinued. Use the inbuild ScummVM GUI instead.
But I can't find this ScummVM GUI...
Help me please!
batanen

Post by batanen »

Hi!

Sorry, I cannot help you with this. For me, Monkey Island 3 worked after moving all the files to memory stick and choosing the game. However, the game isn't perfectly playable yet (at least not in 1.0.0). Speeding-up memory stick did help a little, but the game still crashed too often. For example:

The worst was that when saving the game, it was a very high risk the game to crash and corrupt the save file at the same time. After losing the latest save file, I stopped playing the game. I was using PHAT 5.00m33-6. The memory stick was a fake 4GB (or a legit 2GB, not sure) so that might have been partially the problem. So, if you happen to get the game running, always save to a separate file.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Hey batanen

I have a question: when you got this error screen, did you play another game before and then return to the launcher (using the right trigger and start) and then start MI3 or did you just start up ScummVM and choose monkey island 3 right away?

Here's why I'm asking: I know that the current version of ScummVM 'leaks' ie. doesn't release memory when switching between games. This could cause MI3 to crash. However, if this crash happened when going straight into MI3, then there's a more serious memory leak going on.

In any case, it's not a PSP issue but a general ScummVM issue of too much memory being allocated.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

marulio, the new ScummVM tools don't use compress_san.exe etc. Download the version 1.1.0 Tools (not the PSP version of ScummVM, but the Tools package - scroll down the screen from the 1.1.0 release to find them). After installing them, you should then be able to run scummvm-tools and do whatever compression is needed.

I recommend trying out the compressed files first on a desktop computer version (whatever you're using: Mac, Windows, Linux etc.) This way if you have any issues, you can isolate whether it's a compression problem or a PSP problem. You can post about any issues with the compression tools in the main ScummVM forum.

Once you get it working on your desktop computer, you can try copying the files to your PSP. If you have any issues then, they'll probably be PSP-related ones and you can post in the PSP forum again.

Good luck!
batanen

Post by batanen »

Thanks Bluddy for a reply!

Now that you mentioned, it might have been the source of crashing. I did use PSPeText-plugin because when playing the Monkey Island games because walkthrough is really handy. I didn't have any problems in Monkey Island 1 or 2 even though I constantly used the plugin (not counting the keys don't fully work for a few seconds when returned back to the game). In Monkey Island 3 the game may have worked long time even though the plugin was used. Sometimes the crash you saw in the snapshot happened when moving. The worse crash was when saving. It corrupted the save file and the PSP completely crashed without a error message.

However, if this crash happened when going straight into MI3, then there's a more serious memory leak going on.

It's better I do not comment this because I don't completely remember. However, If I remember right, sometimes I restarted the homebrew and continued the game directly from a save file. I moved to the world map and the game crashed. I hadn't use the plugin but it was activated so it could be used. I have a screenshot of that too:

Though, I am not completely sure about this because it's a half year I played the game and took the screenshots.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Does it crash with 1.1.0 as well?
batanen

Post by batanen »

joostp wrote:Does it crash with 1.1.0 as well?
I tested again with the latest release. I'm sure the problem was caused when used PSPeText-plugin. Now, when I opened a text-file with the plugin and returned to the MI3, the PSP crashed immediately (no error message). With MI1 the plugin did not cause the instant crash, though. I guess I should not use the plugin when playing as demanding game as Monkey Island 3. However, it would be nice if ScummVM would someday support a simple, integrated text-reader. Monkey Island series is a little too challenging (at least for me) without a walkthrough. Thank you for your comments!
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

OK that does make sense. The PSP is limited memory wise, but I'll also look into whether too much memory is being allocated by MI3. I also took a quick peek at the PSPeText source code and couldn't find something that would cause the crash unless it has some bug.

You can open a feature request item for a text-reader or maybe even a text-reader/image-viewer! It wouldn't be much use on a desktop, but could be very useful on other platforms.
anthony001

Post by anthony001 »

will this monkey island work with ver 1.2.0?
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Yes - it'll work just fine.