not fully working on DSi XL with iEdge flashcart

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

briandamage

not fully working on DSi XL with iEdge flashcart

Post by briandamage »

Having read other posts I don't think the DSi compatibility is quite there yet, so this is more of an FYI than a "please help me".

I bought a DSi XL a couple of days ago along with an iEdge flashcart and an 8GB MicroSD card. I got many homebrew apps to work very well (e.g., REminiscenceDS, OpenTyrian, Moonshell) but it took a lot of trial and error to get SCUMMVM to work.

Version 1.0 and 1.0RC1 don't load at all. They just show black screens and stay frozen. Version 0.13.1 works quite well but the MIDI and digital audio is too choppy for me to put up with (sounds like lots of tiny gaps of silence). The audio has the same choppiness regardless of the bitrate I choose, all the way down to 11KHz.

If I've overlooked anything please let me know so that I can play my favourite games again! If there's anything I can do to help with testing I'd be very glad to volunteer.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The DSi should be functionally identical to the DS for ScummVM, so if it doesn't work it's probably the fault of the flash card reader or it's firmware.

I don't have any DSi compatible flash card readers and without that I can't debug this, but if anyone's willing to donate, I will buy one and attempt to look at what's causing the problems.

Choppy sound is most likely caused by lack of CPU performance, so perhaps something in these flash card readers uses up some CPU time. But without looking at it myself I can't really comment.

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com

EDIT: Maybe it's worth trying the iEdge reader on a DS too...
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Looks like the choice for those wanting to play ScummVM on the DSi is the Acekard 2i with AKAIO software.

At least, that's what they say here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7172

Unfortunately the link to AKAIO on that thread is dead.

EDIT: ...but it looks like it's available for download here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=AKAIO
briandamage

Post by briandamage »

Thanks for the reply. That's grim news for me I guess. The next time the iEdge has a firmware update I'll give it another shot and will report back if there's any happy news to share.
another world

Post by another world »

yep you found "our" wiki. i've been maintaining it on/off for the past year. new links to the current build of akaio are added within minutes of the release.

i know plenty of people using scummvmds on their acekard on dsp, dsl, and dsi, with no problems. yet i've not read anything about it not working on other kits. it could be user error, msd needs formatting, etc. i'm curious to find out what the problem is. keep us posted if you hear anything else.

the only issue with the ak2i is that it was cloned. acekard sold the design of the original actel chipped ak2i over a year ago. at first the r4 clones used that design. which is why akaio could run on those clones, until it was blocked and the loaders were encrypted. the recent batch of ak2i clones appears to have a bunch of problems. users should be very pro-active and ask questions of their reseller before buying one. the real ak2i has a hardware ID of 44 or 81. however, recently a hw44 with a different controller chip, an obvious clone, was reported. i've yet to receive images so i can't confirm it. for more information check www.acekard.com/news.php. the current article is how to spot a clone.

users at gbatemp have been very vocal on where to purcahse a real acekard 2i. it wouldn't hurt anyone interested to register and ask some questions. right now i know for a fact that realhotstuff is selling the clones. they have been so bold as to say "they don't see a difference" and to suggest that the clones are comming from members of a *split* acekard team. all rumors and lies.

-another world
digiworks8

Post by digiworks8 »

The DSi needs to be functionally identical to the DS for ScummVM, so if it doesn't work it's most likely the fault from the flash card reader or it is firmware.

I don't have any DSi compatible flash card visitors and without the need of that I can't debug this, but if anyone's willing to donate, I will buy 1 and attempt to look at what's creating the complications.

Choppy sound is most possibly triggered by lack of CPU overall performance, so possibly some thing in these flash card visitors uses up some CPU time. But with no seeking at it myself I can't definitely comment.