State of the Android port (1.5-2.1)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

blunden

Post by blunden »

Lubomyr wrote:and more I did not have plan to create a port for android, but I very much wanted to try to run ScummVM on my device and decided to try
Do you mind changing the package name? It makes installing your other apps impossible because Android considers them the same. :( Also, if possible please change the version when you update it. That way we don't have to uninstall it every time we update it.

Other than that it runs nicely. Any way to fix that flickering on the sides in COMI?
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

i know about that problem
but when try to change package name in sdl-wrapper i have some errors
i will try to fix this later

for solve flickering problem try
in scummvm launcher go to Option menu
use GFX tab and use tick on aspect ratio correction and fullscreen mode
then restart ScummVM
blunden

Post by blunden »

Lubomyr wrote:i know about that problem
but when try to change package name in sdl-wrapper i have some errors
i will try to fix this later

for solve flickering problem try
in scummvm launcher go to Option menu
use GFX tab and use tick on aspect ratio correction and fullscreen mode
then restart ScummVM
Oh, that explains it.

Your fix for the flickering worked fine. :) Too bad the game is unplayable because of the "hold" mechanic not working. Still, being able to play some games is much better than none at all. :D

On an unrelated note, the ViceC64 emulator just crashed for me. Didn't run logcat at the time though.
goorguer

Post by goorguer »

blunden wrote:Too bad the game is unplayable because of the "hold" mechanic not working. Still, being able to play some games is much better than none at all. :D
Try by touching the screen with your finger, then push the trackball, and without releasing the trackball, slide your finger...

It's not the most comfortable way to play games, but it works for me in COMI or Full Throttle ;)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Folks, let's keep this thread on topic. This was originally meant to discuss the Android port by gus, which is now the official Android port.

Alternative ports are of course also possible, but it would be best to discuss them in separate thread, as to not cause further confusion; it's already confusing enough...
Delu

Post by Delu »

I think it would help if Gus or someone else would be more open to communicate the actual progress of things, which for some reason is not the case right now, of course ppl gladly follow someone who care's to share his/her information and ideas and answers questions.

So far we only got tidbits of info from the ScummVM Team "on topic", no one really seems to know much or at least doesn't care to share in an elitist kind of behaviour. You can not expect ppl to simply don't discuss related topics as long as none of you guys finally decide to come forward with the matter.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Gus is a very busy man, and "being open", i.e. reporting about everything you do, takes up a lot of time. While I also think that some more progress information from him would be nice, at the end of the day, I prefer if he spends his scarce and valuable spare time on improving the Android backend ;).

And I have to strongly object about the "elitist" accusation. We are not keeping anything secret; we (the general ScummVM team) simply don't have more information that you have. We are in fact pretty open, our mailing lists has open archives, our irc channel is publicly logged, you can search both for "android".

Finally, we never said people should not discuss whatever they want -- however, *this* thread should try to stay focused on the now-official android port. But of course you are welcome to create arbitrarily many new threads! If everybody keeps adding every single Android related question to this single thread, then that will help nobody, it'll just make this thread even more unreadable than it is.
Warzone

Post by Warzone »

Indeed...was about to suggest splitting this thread as well, I am keeping track but again, it can be a confusing post as you got both the unoffical and offical port floating in here.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

Delu wrote:I think it would help if Gus or someone else would be more open to communicate the actual progress of things
Sorry - I spend a large part of each day answering mail about the Android port, I didn't realise I was leaving anyone in the dark.

Outstanding bugs in the Android2.0 rewrite currently in ScummVM svn:

- plugins are broken by some change in the Android linker between 1.6 and 2.0. This is the big market-release showstopper that I haven't tracked down yet.

- the overlay occasionally goes black on real devices until a key press (but not on the emulator...)

- audio is too fast (this should be trivial to fix, I'm just not initialising the audio properly)

- Some "meta" work like migrating existing Android docs into the proper ScummVM wiki pages, setting up the ScummVM automatic build environment, etc.

Patches to fix any of the above (or anything else) are most welcome - and are certainly the fastest way to get a new Android release out. The code is all in the ScummVM SVN repository. See backends/platform/android/README.build to get started - ask if there's anything that is unclear.
Delu

Post by Delu »

I'm sorry guys, I came off a little strong there and I would like to take that back, I understand that tracking bugs and the whole actual coding work takes up a lot of time besides things in real life which sometimes come too short like it is already.

Maybe the communication part could somehow be supported/outsourced from/to someone who's close enough to ScummVM, to understand some of the more technical things and could interpret the state of things based on his/her knowledge and contact to gus and the scummvm team, that way I imagine some pressure could be taken of gus and the inner team itself and scattered Inquiries could be more channelized, thus everyone being able to focus on his/ her part of the project without losing to much time just with answering about what they just did or plan to do if they could find the time for it. Hope this makes some sence it's already late over here, sry xD

thx for the update!!
EowynCarter

Post by EowynCarter »

So, android now an official port :)
Good news :)
maxxan

Post by maxxan »

Another suggestion would be to add the android 2.2 install on SD-card flag, since it' s quite a large application.
noodleboy

Post by noodleboy »

great emulator.Having couple problems it on my desire though.Not sure how to save.i get the menu and when i select a save file it just says cant save.Also when i quit the program and go back later all the games i added to the game menu have disappeared.thanks
fbusson

Post by fbusson »

@noodleboy
I had the same problem with Lubomyr's version. I realized i forgot to extract the scummvm.zip file on the root of the sd card. It will create a scummvm folder.

I used the newly extracted scummvm folder as the save and theme paths in 'options' menu.

Hope i'm clear and it helped.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

maxxan wrote:Another suggestion would be to add the android 2.2 install on SD-card flag, since it' s quite a large application.
I have this included in the upcoming version.
The limitation is that the Android apps-on-SD feature puts the apk on the SD card, but still requires native code to reside on internal flash. Better, but still not perfect :/