State of the Android port (1.5-2.1)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

This problem will hopefully become less of an issue as Android matures, making Google more reluctant to change to much every version.
gfgodoy

Post by gfgodoy »

flitzjoy wrote:I´m really disappointed that scumm isnt ready yet to run on Android. Being a huge Lucas Arts Adventures fan and a previously owner of Symbian and WinMo phones, I´m used to have nice games in my pocket. ;-)

Please devs take Android as a more relevant priority, its the mobile platform that grows more quickly now.
It does run on android, but only on 1.5 and 1.6
Warzone

Post by Warzone »

Nope, currently running 2.2...everything is the same and all applications are functioning as normal, only thing missing is the SD application move...gotta wait for devs to enable it in their apps.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

Just so everyone knows where I'm up to:

- I have rewritten all the audio and asset-reading code to avoid private Android APIs and instead call into supported Java routines.
- I have rewritten the graphics to avoid private Android 2D stuff and instead use (supported) OpenGLES.
- the port still uses my custom arm-android-eabi toolchain (not off-the-shelf NDK) since when I tried the NDK I hit some toolchain bugs. I'll tackle this one later.

So in theory, this should work properly on all Android versions 1.5 and newer (on arm CPUs). It will unfortunately use more memory+cpu than previous versions, but I haven't noticed any problems on my slower devices (Archos5 (software GL) and G1).

Fwiw I flip-flopped back and forth between GLES and other 2D approaches several times since neither was as efficient as the direct Surface access that I use currently. I think GL is the right choice long-term, since it should only get faster, while the 2D stuff will likely fall farther behind.

Remaining showstopper bugs:
- There are a few cases where portions of the screen don't get updated correctly - I need to double check my dirty rectangle tracking code.
- It works on all my other devices/emulators, but on my G1 I only get a black screen :( Probably something "special" about its GL implementation.
- There is some change in Android 2.0+ dynamic linker that completely breaks symbol resolution when loading plugins.

The last one looks the same as what hit some cyanogenmod versions too. I'm building an Android2.0 system image with extra linker debugging enabled so I can single-step through the linker and see what's going on. Fun.
flitzjoy

Post by flitzjoy »

Great news gus!!! once you fix some major bugs and want testing reports contact us! :D
Jesugandalf

Post by Jesugandalf »

It's always great to read that progress is being made in the development, thank you Gus ;)

And, if you need additional testing to do, here we are to help ;)
shamu is dead

Post by shamu is dead »

Gus- you're the man! Thanks for your work and please do keep us updated! :D
Warzone

Post by Warzone »

If you need some testing, let me know

Awesome progress by the sound of things xD

Nexus One, Android 2.2 beta pre-release:D
enetzlsg

Post by enetzlsg »

Same here, if you need help with testing, let us know!
Can't wait to try scummvm on the nexus!
Thanks for all your awesome work! :D
Nova5lag

Post by Nova5lag »

Likewise! I have two very long flights coming up in a week so if some testing is required I would REALLY love to help.

HTC Hero running VillianSense 6.2.0

I was playing Monkey Island on my Hero 1.5 before Rooting and I have to say it was amazing, stable and fast so please keep up the good work! :)
Jesugandalf

Post by Jesugandalf »

There are many of us who want to try ScummVM on our Nexus :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Ah, if there just were more of you who don't just want to try it on the Nexus, but who also had the ability to help out with making this possible... :)
shamu is dead

Post by shamu is dead »

fingolfin wrote:Ah, if there just were more of you who don't just want to try it on the Nexus, but who also had the ability to help out with making this possible... :)
Well, I have a moto droid (2.1), but my coding skills are probably not up to par with you guys. I'm willing to do some testing if you guys need help in that regard though!
Nova5lag

Post by Nova5lag »

fingolfin wrote:Ah, if there just were more of you who don't just want to try it on the Nexus, but who also had the ability to help out with making this possible... :)
<<< I wanted to go into coding but ended up in Marketing :oops: for shame I was not smart enough! :cry:
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

my first attempt to compile and run scummvm for Android (all version)
compiled original sources without any changes
temporary only with one engine scumm
tested on my Samsung i5700 Spica (Android 2.1)

http://anddev.at.ua/news/scummvm_port_i ... 10-06-02-1[/url]