Where do I find games to use with SCUMM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mercutio2

Where do I find games to use with SCUMM?

Post by mercutio2 »

Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I would find games that I can use with Scumm? I am particularly looking for the first Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, and a rare Lucas Arts game called Habitat i think.

Is this cool of me to ask for games here? I think they are so old they are in public domain now.

Thanks!

PS. I am using scumm on Mac OS X if that makes a difference.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

check e-bay, and buy the games. warez is not permitted. you should also read the "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" sticky.
fingolfin
Retired

Re: Where do I find games to use with SCUMM?

Post by fingolfin »

mercutio2 wrote: Is this cool of me to ask for games here? I think they are so old they are in public domain now.
You are mistaken. Age alone doesn't put a game (or any other computer program) into public domain.

So no, it is not "cool" to ask for these games here. But you can get them very cheaply and, most importantly, legally, from e.g. Ebay.
Blazed Mic

Post by Blazed Mic »

I guess that rules out me asking the same question, then. :oops:
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Yes, it does.

Topic Locked.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Where do I find games to use with SCUMM?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fingolfin wrote:You are mistaken. Age alone doesn't put a game (or any other computer program) into public domain.
Eventually it does. It's just that most games are so recent that it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes. :-)

In the US, it used to be that copyright lasted for the life of the author plus 50 years, or 75 years for a work of corporate authorship. In 1998, the "Copyright Term Extension Act" (sometimes known as the "Mickey Mouse Protection Act") extended this to life of the author plus 70 years and 95 years respectively.

So we can all look forward to the Maniac Mansion entering the public domain in... 2078? Unless, of course, copyrights are extended once again the next time The Walt Disney Company are in any danger of losing their rights to Steamboat Willie.