LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Would it be illegal to ask if someone could send me the music?

Bought the game for PS3, no big extraction possibilities ^^.
Rafael_GC

Post by Rafael_GC »

SithlordDK wrote:Would it be illegal to ask if someone could send me the music?

Bought the game for PS3, no big extraction possibilities ^^.
Here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2738032 :D
Bugen

Post by Bugen »

More out of curiosity than anything else... Are the "monkey2.000" and "monkey2.001" that extract out of the SE identical to the original versions? I've seen comments here and on the Telltale Games forums about some of the differences between the original game and the SE played in classic mode (including a few small lines of text), so it made me wonder. I noticed that the extracted files work in ScummVM and that it doesn't give me an error about the MD5, so I was wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not the files are exactly the same.

I'd check myself, but I don't have a copy of any other version to compare it against -- I've been eagerly awaiting the SE specifically so I can play this classic without resorting to piracy.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Bugen wrote:Are the "monkey2.000" and "monkey2.001" that extract out of the SE identical to the original versions?
Yes.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Bugen wrote:I've seen comments here and on the Telltale Games forums about some of the differences between the original game and the SE played in classic mode
Those are all hacks and bugs of the new engine.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

MusicallyInspired wrote:It's not 100% accurate but it is 99.99% accurate. Woodtick (which sounds very nice on a real MT-32) sounds absolutely horrible in classic mode here.
It's because the odd-sounding ones were not recorded from the MT-32. I don't know why they changed them, but they don't even sound like the PCjr or the beeper.
MusicallyInspired wrote:The iMuse is VERY satisfactory.
I'm personally disappointed by it. As I expected, it's a mere crossfade between independant tracks. Besides, some signature jingles are entirely missing (the one you normally hear when entering the voodoo hut with your coffin boat). A shame, really.

Contrary to you, I'm quite let down by the poor sound editing -- and since I'm at it, some arranged tunes by Jesse Harlin don't sound good at all compared to the brilliant MT-32 soundtrack.

For the rest, yes the artwork is much more satisfactory than in the awful MI1:SE, and actually not too far from the MI3 art direction (especially the backgrounds).

I'm not too sold on the direct pad control however, which is why I much prefer the PC version (not even mentioning the price difference of the bundle). As for the missing intro sequence, it's just unacceptable.

Overall, a nice remake but it could have easily been much better (again).
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Kaminari wrote:It's because the odd-sounding ones were not recorded from the MT-32. I don't know why they changed them, but they don't even sound like the PCjr or the beeper.
No, it's from the MT-32 but the instruments changes weren't carried over so all the instruments playing are the MT-32's horrible piano patch (worst patch on the whole module). How they didn't notice the difference is beyond me.
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Did LA use 3D-Models for LeChuck and Rum Rogers?

Oh and they replaced Max in the Costume-Shop with purple tentacle (just like the small Sam&Max totem in the first SE), why don't they keep the Sam&Max stuff?

And I hope the Grim Fandango Picture in Phatt's Mansion is ahint to the next Special Edition ^^.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

SithlordDK wrote: Oh and they replaced Max in the Costume-Shop with purple tentacle (just like the small Sam&Max totem in the first SE), why don't they keep the Sam&Max stuff?
One theory I've heard is that LucasArts don't have any rights to the Sam and Max characters any more.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:One theory I've heard is that LucasArts don't have any rights to the Sam and Max characters any more.
I believe they only have rights to characters introduced in Hit the Road. The rights to the rest of the characters belongs to Steve. Of course, I can't imagine Steve saying no to allowing Max in there...
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

According to Craig (project leader) they used pre-rendered 3d models for almost every character and took snapshots of each frame and plugged that into the remake.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

The most disappointing parts are the missing intro and easy mode. And the German translation is terrible, but it can easily be avoided by deactivation.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

MusicallyInspired wrote:It's from the MT-32 but the instruments changes weren't carried over so all the instruments playing are the MT-32's horrible piano patch (worst patch on the whole module). How they didn't notice the difference is beyond me.
You mean they forgot to honour program changes? I can't believe that :)

As for the piano patch, yes it has a poor reputation but only because most composers tried too hard to use it as an acoustic piano. It's actually far from being that bad. Some Legend games use it very competently (especially Companions of Xanth).
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

The introduction has been added back in on Steam... but only in classic mode. If you don't switch during Elane and Guybrush's conversation it is skipped and if you switch during the intro just ends. I was hoping for a modern version of the intro too. :(
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Mixnmojo have a list of the 7 changes in the patch. Nothing about other platforms. I'll try running it on my 360 later and see if it updates first.
http://mixnmojo.com/news/A-very-special-update