LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Kaminari wrote:One thing that didn't get mentioned was iMuse. How are they going to replace the dynamic MIDI tracks in Woodtick, the Voodoo swamp, etc? I suppose they'll go for a simple crossfade... or worse, static tracks, Amiga-style.
They didn't go into much detail, but a Mixnmojo interview does mention this:
Julian Kwasneski wrote:While you are right that Monkey 2 and Fate were extremely dynamic, the only reason we could not get the same results with digital audio was disk space. Mike Land and Peter McConnell (and Clint Bajakian) had designed such an amazing system with iMuse that they really *did* have the best of both worlds. The file format they came up with allowed the placement of data markers that allowed as many transitions as the composer desired. If there had been DVD games then, we would have had every bit as much diversity with digital audio.
MapleSyrup

Post by MapleSyrup »

Kaminari wrote:One thing that didn't get mentioned was iMuse. How are they going to replace the dynamic MIDI tracks in Woodtick, the Voodoo swamp, etc? I suppose they'll go for a simple crossfade... or worse, static tracks, Amiga-style.
Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures had an iMuse style system. So, it's possible.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Now imagine they remake CMI after this. Keeping the same style but in HD and better audio quality :shock: :D

CMI was my favourite and probably my favourite adventure of all time.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

In comparison to MI4, CMI is great, in comparison to MI1 & 2, it is very poor. Apart from that I see no reason to redo this game. It has quite a high resolution and full voice. I would more apreciate a remake of Fate of Atlantis (though there is a talkie version) with the real voice of Harrison Ford, and an instrumental soundtrack. How beautiful the music can be, is shown here:
http://www.draggor.com/music/vg_ijfa.asp
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Wow those tracks sound awful. The Highland Productions soundtrack (no longer available because LA made them take it down) sounds far superior.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

MusicallyInspired wrote:The Highland Productions soundtrack (no longer available because LA made them take it down) sounds far superior.
Do you mean http://highland.mixnmojo.com/ ?
What exactly was there which isn't available anymore? As far as I remember, they only made those few tracks. Except for the soundtrack of that Aprils fools joke years ago.

They still host the higher quality version of the Underground Tunnel Remix too, which they never linked on their own site for some reason.
MusicallyInspired

No it was the entire soundtrack or at least most of it. It was 2 cds long and was hosted on LucasArts Soundtracks along with the also unavailable Dark Forces soundtrack.
Mud

Post by Mud »

MusicallyInspired wrote:No it was the entire soundtrack or at least most of it. It was 2 cds long and was hosted on LucasArts Soundtracks along with the also unavailable Dark Forces soundtrack.
You mean this?
MusicallyInspired

Yeah, that. I didn't know you could still access it. Last I heard LA made them take down all Indy and Star Wars soundtracks.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

They did... but somehow I didn't... uhm... get around... deleting it off the server. The links from the main page are gone, though ;)
Zipdot

Very good!

Post by Zipdot »

This is exceptional news. I was just thinking about replaying this game with ScummVM after I finish KQ6 in Dosbox.

Back in the day, I actually played LeChuck's Revenge before Secret, so this is the game that kind of sticks with me more than any other from the era as representative of my childhood gaming experience...

Great news, just terrific.
theratt

Post by theratt »

Mud wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:No it was the entire soundtrack or at least most of it. It was 2 cds long and was hosted on LucasArts Soundtracks along with the also unavailable Dark Forces soundtrack.
You mean this?
Just thought I would post this too... though it looks like the links to the music are broken :(
MusicallyInspired

That's ok. It seems the exact same soundtrack is available on the Dark Forces MOD for Jedi Academy download page at the very bottom. http://darkforces.jediknight.net/downloads.shtml

Or a direct link. This is actually where I found it first. Then I saw the Soundtracks website on MixnMojo.
MusicallyInspired

Well, apparently they ARE using some sort of MT-32 emulation for classic mode instead of Adlib emulation. I'm quite impressed. It's not of the same quality as a real MT-32, however. Maybe they're using some kind of soundfont system? Also, they claim that full-working iMuse is present with the digital recordings. I'm quite excited.

Some of the latest videos:

Gameplay demo at E3 abooth - The game in action, some features explained.

Featurette with interviews with the creators of the remake and the original (Ron, Tim, and Dave) - Despite the Woodtick sequence here not being in iMuse, the developers said that the music for this video was just pasted in for thematic effect. The final game does indeed have the fully functioning iMuse system with live recorded instruments. I can't wait to hear it.

Teaser Trailer - MT-32 emulation music in classic mode featured.

Sadly, it still doesn't seem like the original introduction/credit sequence has made it into the remake....hopefully it's still there when you first run the game or something.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Wow looks much better than the first one. They definitely have a bigger budget this time. Did Lechuck's voice change though? It doesn't sound like the original actor, which would be a shame.