ScummVM DS 1.1.0 beta1 [obsolete]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM DS 1.1.0 beta1 [obsolete]

Post by agentq »

Hi,

It's coming up to release time again for the whole ScummVM team, which means new versions of your favourite software, including ScummVM DS.

Please download the new beta version here, and let me know how it goes. Please post your experiences with the new version here, good or bad.

New Features

* New games are supported as part of the stable build:
- Return to Zork
- Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2
- Cruise for a Corpse

Download: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummvm1-1-0beta1.zip

Supported Games

Build A:

Manic Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Bear Stormin' (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade (DOS version only)

Build B:

Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:

Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Elvira 1/2
Waxworks (Amiga version only)

Build D:

Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars
Lost in Time

Build E:

Inherit the Earth (floppy version only)

Build F:

Kyrandia 1

Build G:

Lure of the Temptress

Build H:

Nippon Safes

Build I:

Return to Zork
Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2
Manhole
Rodney's Funscreen (untested)

Build K:

Cruise for a Corpse
Last edited by agentq on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Whitheaven

Post by Whitheaven »

Woodruff doesn't work. I only have a black screen.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Agentq has made a mistake there with Woodruff. I've asked about it before. I guess he forgot to remove it.

If you read this agentq it might be worth pointing out, to avoid another round of posts, about Inherit the Earth as well. Floppy only. You can use the CD but don't use the voices file.

By the way. Why no Manhole or Rodney's Funscreen?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Sorry, yes. I should have removed Woodruffe, but I copied the list from an old one before I got rid of it.

I've updated the list to include the other Activision engine games, and added a note about ITE being floppy version only.

Nobody has tested Rodney's Funscreen as far as I know, so if you have this game please try it and let me know if it works ok.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I don't have the game myself. I've only noticed one person (KuroShiro) to test it in the testing thread but that was on Windows 7.
I check EBay some times for any bargains. I've seen the game but not cheap.
I must admit I rarely use my DS these days and when I have it's for a game that's a DS release. The last time was the 2nd Professor Layton game.

I know it's testing time at the moment so all testing is welcome but if there's a particular game that you'd really like to see tested for one reason or another then post here and if I have it I'll test.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Red_Breast wrote:I don't have the game myself. I've only noticed one person (KuroShiro) to test it in the testing thread but that was on Windows 7.
Well, I have a DS. I can try testing it later.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

@Red_Breast: The best thing you can do is find the most obscure game you own and try that. The chances are, most people test the more commonly owned games, so those probably work fine anyway.
phoenixclaws

Post by phoenixclaws »

I just tested Rodney's Funscreen with an AK2i and a DSLite.

It seems perfectly playable.

Just a couple minor issues that I saw so far:

1. It seems to boot up occasionally with a blacked-out finger cursor but after playing a little while it turned white.

2. Then there is an occasional black line that blips onto the screen for a split second.

3. Lastly if you push the red Stop (on the minigame selection screen) it freezes the game and then you have to reboot your DS.
another world

Post by another world »

Hardware:
Acekard 2.0, 2.1 (Black and Green PCBs).
AKAIO 1.6 RC2.5 (private BETA)
2 GB Japanese Kingston formatted with the Panasonic Formatter.
ScummVMDS 1.1.0 (from this thread)

build F:
Make sure you are using the KYRA.DAT found at the Data Files WIKI.

Not a bug report just F.Y.I. for everyone.

The Manhole (EGA):
I am experiencing freezing of the game. The freezing forces me to hard-reset my NDS. The freezing is never at the same point and usually occurs after playing for 2-4 min.

The Manhole (DOS Enhanced):
I am again experiencing freezing but less randomly. Sometimes I can play for 10 minutes and sometimes I can play for 20. Music does not appear to error but the "game play" freezes forcing a hard-reset of the NDS.

Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2 (DOS):
I am unable to use the "mouse hover" mode. When trying to scroll the top screen for a zoomed view of text the action is advanced.

I further tested on The Manhole and found out the samething is happening. When in the "mouse hover" mode the action advances as though I have just clicked the LEFT mouse button.

Next Release?
Build J contineus to say "Build G" and uses the old rounded icon. While I see that it is more of an SVN build, perhaps that explains why it has not been updated or included in the release.

It would be nice to see a focus on the "Return to Launcher" option. Most linkers do not support homebrew softreset. Currently the return to launcher option is hit or miss and usually just freezes the game during play.

Hover Mode
I just tested Elvira 1 Atari ST and hover-mode is, again, not working. I remember the behavior of hover-mode allowing the user to hover the mouse, moving only the top zoomed screen, and not advance the game. However, now it is acting differently. Some menu items can not be pressed but I am still able to navigate around the game and move the character. The engine thinks I am pressing a button.

edit--cleaned up my writing and added information about the mouse-hover mode
Last edited by another world on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hmm. If The Manhole doesn't work, I'll remove it from the supported games list. There won't be enough time to debug that before release.

Can anyone else verify that the hover mode doesn't work? Is this common accross all games or just some?
another world

Post by another world »

Build A:
Hover-mode seems to be working fine in DOTT CD English version.

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky v0.0368 CD - hover-mode works.
Flight of the Amazon Queen Talkie DOS - hover-mode works

Build C:
Elvira 1 Atari ST and Amiga versions. When in hover I can advance the action on both.
Simon 1 CD DOS - hover is working correctly
Waxworks Floppy Amiga - I can advance the action and select and do things while in hover-mode
Elvira 2 Amiga - hover-mode is again not working.

This second round of testing is on a freshly formatted 2gb Japanese Kingston with fresh copies of the new ScummVMDS build.

Time permitting, I'll do more testing.

-another world
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

another world wrote:build F:
I found that the KYRA.DAT listed in the Data Files WIKI is not working. ScummVMDS tells me that I am missing the .DAT or it is corrupted. I then downloaded the one listed in the on the download's extra page, and that one is working.
That's really strange, are you sure you're using a 1.1.0pre build? At least kyra.dat from 1.0.0 should definitely not work with the upcoming release, but the one from our datafiles wiki should.
another world

Post by another world »

LordHoto wrote:That's really strange, are you sure you're using a 1.1.0pre build? At least kyra.dat from 1.0.0 should definitely not work with the upcoming release, but the one from our datafiles wiki should.
Yeah, I am using the 1.0.0 build. I'll do some more double checking and see what I can find out in a few, and then edit this post.

-another world
Last edited by another world on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

another world wrote:
LordHoto wrote:That's really strange, are you sure you're using a 1.1.0pre build? At least kyra.dat from 1.0.0 should definitely not work with the upcoming release, but the one from our datafiles wiki should.
Yeah, I am using the 1.0.0 build. I'll do some more double checking and see what I can find out in a few, and then edit this post.
I thought this thread was for testing of the 1.1.0 build and not of 1.0.0... so I'm not sure whether you really mean 1.0.0, since I thought agentq wanted to have feedback on his 1.1.0 build.
another world

Post by another world »

Sorry! I was looking at the wrong folder, that was for ScummVM. I am testing 1.1.0 ScummVMDS.

-another world