scummvm 1.0.0pre0 and how to use with Android

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

archangel47

scummvm 1.0.0pre0 and how to use with Android

Post by archangel47 »

Hello,

I am curious to how this all works, and looking for education. I have just downloaded the scummvm program to my device, and the plugin that allows the game Sam and Max, and Fyull Throttle to be played from the phone. I'm sure I am missing an important piece of this puzzle, considering that I have already purchased the game on CD Rom, and attempted copying the files. In all honesty, I am not sure which files to copy, so i selected all... but to no avail. I have to be missing something, and I need a guiding hand. Anyone? Please?
garrythefish

Re: scummvm 1.0.0pre0 and how to use with Android

Post by garrythefish »

Greetings achangel47. :)
Its nice to meet a new fellow ScummVM user. And now for your question:
archangel47 wrote:
[...] considering that I have already purchased the game on CD Rom, and attempted copying the files. In all honesty, I am not sure which files to copy, so i selected all...
You only need to copy the files listed here.

The Android version isn't officially supported (the reasons are unknown to me) and I'm not perfectly sure if you need anything additional, but if its like most ports (maybe even all) you should only copy those files listed. Someone might confirm this.

Cheers :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The reason why it is not official supported is simple: No team member has an Android device, and the code needed to support Android is still separate. We talked to the author of the port, gus, about making the port official, and he started to prepare for that, but sadly this process has been stuck for many months now; we are still waiting for gus on this (who is doing this as his hobby, like all of us, so many other things in real life have priority over this).

If you wonder why we don't just take his code as-is and be done with it: Well, we have certain quality standards that we require from ports and engines before accepting them. The Android port does not (yet) meet those, although Gus already improved it considerably, and I hope it can become official at some point. Gus, we're still here and waiting for you ;).
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

fingolfin wrote: The Android port does not (yet) meet those, although Gus already improved it considerably, and I hope it can become official at some point. Gus, we're still here and waiting for you ;).
It is progressing slowly - I have significantly cleaned up the build patches, provided you use my gcc cross toolchain, not the more peculiar Google Android NDK - so now I need to get my gcc cross toolchain into a publishable state, which I'm working on now.
I have also mostly rewritten the Android port's graphics routines to use OpenGLES rather than the unofficial Android 2D API that I was using. I hope this will fix the Android 2.0 and cyanogenmod problems, but haven't got the changes to the point where I can test that yet.

The reason the Android port isn't official is totally my fault for not prioritising merging over other things - the ScummVM guys have been nothing but encouraging and helpful to a complete ScummVM-dev noob like me ;)

archangel47: I need to know more information about what files you have tried to copy and at exactly what point in the setup process it goes wrong.
I have some brief Android-specific install instructions here, which you should combine with the usual ScummVM wiki pages for each game.
Please followup if you are still stuck.