Symbian phone software now available for free

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Symbian phone software now available for free

Post by md5 »

Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ohh yes.. working on that too! :-D
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

So now well over 50% of the smartphones out there are powered by an open-source OS. Awesome news indeed.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Not really. All those phones are using older versions of Symbian, and I believe that the majority of them cannot be upgraded to a later version. Hence they are stuck "closed source" for all relevant purposes.

But maybe new phones will be better... Maybe they'll even make good and *free* developer tools available, so that one can write apps without a major headache? :)
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

One thing I really hope for now is that the default music player in Symbian will eventually be able to handle more music formats, like ogg vorbis.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Getting a hw emulator to run on (using QEMU) will be great. Also easier access to the code, which makes it possible to add support for new codecs, like ogg. Actually ogg codec would be possible today, you just need to wrap it and package it and deliver it. libtremor would work great for that I think.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Update: apparently, the code as it is won't compile, as it was built with proprietary (and now old) compilers and libraries.

Symbian is working on creating a free toolchain and making the whole package compile with GCC-E
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/12 ... n_compile/
and
http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/index ... initiative