scummVM 0.8.1 aand 0.8.2 PPC2002 builds hard resets iPAQ.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dwyloc

scummVM 0.8.1 aand 0.8.2 PPC2002 builds hard resets iPAQ.

Post by Dwyloc »

I have an iPAQ 3950 running PocketPC2002 and have been using the previous 0.8.0 build for PPC2002 without problems but the new 0.8.1 release for 2002 cashes my iPAQ when I try to run it.

If I then press the reset button on the device as I would normally do for a soft reset the device hard resets and all data is erased from the device.

I guess my first question is has anyone else seen this problem and is there a fix for it.

My second question is were can I fined the old 0.8.1 PocketPC2002 build as it is not listed on the downloads page any longer.
Last edited by Dwyloc on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Please run 0.8.2 and tell me how it goes.
Dwyloc

Post by Dwyloc »

Running 0.8.2 was the exact same result. The screen goes blank apart from one line of pixels down the left hand side. At this stage none of the buttons respond including the power button and all you can to is press the reset button.

The device then hard resets and you are presented with the standard wince2002 fresh install wizard that gets you to calibrate the touch screen and set the time zone.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Obviously something goes horribly wrong in libSDL. It runs OK in my 2002 smartphone. I'll compile a version with the old sdl library for you until we sort out the problems.
Maybe you'll have to do a couple of hard resets for us, until we find out what's wrong :(
Any other pocket pc 2002 users experiencing problems out there?
Dwyloc

Post by Dwyloc »

knakos wrote:I'll compile a version with the old sdl library for you until we sort out the problems.
That would be grate thanks.

knakos wrote:Maybe you'll have to do a couple of hard resets for us, until we find out what's wrong :(
Any other pocket pc 2002 users experiencing problems out there?
It’s a good think I keep the files I use on the iPAQ on a SD card or I would have lost any changes I made to them. :) But I guess reinstalling my apps could get a bit tiresome after a while, am I the only one who feels active sync over USB is slower than you would expect.

Yes I will be quite happy to help testing a few builds to see if we can resolve this problem. As the company I work for develops software for phones and other touch screen devices I may also be able to borrow one or two other PocketPPC2002 devices to test on next week if know one else steps forward with any problems with a 2002 device.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Dwyloc wrote:...I may also be able to borrow one or two other PocketPPC2002 devices to test on next week if know one else steps forward with any problems with a 2002 device.
OK, remember to save the data before, please :)

Can you give this a spin: http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/scummvm-0.8 ... 02test.zip ?
Dwyloc

Post by Dwyloc »

OK your new test version runs without hard resetting the device.

I have quickly tried playing monkey Island, Indy4 (PC talky) and Sam & Max all run fine. I only played the intro’s and the fist 1 or 2 screens as its getting late.

The iPAQ crashed after the battery low power warning tried to display and I exited scumm but pressing the reset button resulted in a normal soft reset so it is not a big problem. As its late I am just going to charge my iPAQ and go to sleep now. I will do some more testing in the morning at work if I get a chance to see if the crash after exit is just a result of the low battery warning trashing the screen or a real crashing after running scumm and exiting problem.

Thanks for providing the new build so fast.
groov

Post by groov »

A hard reset can be a really big deal, the download should be temporarily pulled or a big fat warning should go on the download page until the fixed build is up.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Yep, it's being dealt with.
jmb

Post by jmb »

knakos wrote:Yep, it's being dealt with.
Hi. I have downloaded your test zip from the link above and the official 0.8.2 available now on the downloads sections. Done a binary compare and they seem identical.

So, please, can anyone confirm that the fix is working and is included in the official 0.8.2 version? No hard-reset risk on PPC2002 now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

You're correct. The fixed binary was re-released and is available thru the normal downloads section of scummvm.org.

Thanks,
Kostas