Wiz Port Control Scheme Makes Me Sad

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's GP2X, GP2X Wiz and Caanoo ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Illuminerdi

Wiz Port Control Scheme Makes Me Sad

Post by Illuminerdi »

I was wondering if it would be easy/possible to rework some of the controls for the Wiz port of ScummVM?

I really really dislike the "tap to left click" method, especially in games that rely on "hovering" to locate interactive elements (LIT and Gobliins 2 were both too frustrating to play for me because of this).

Would it be possible to get a control scheme where clicking is done manually, using something like the L and R buttons on the Wiz?

Maybe this is a lot to ask, but I'm really anxious to play the wonderful library of ScummVM games on my new Wiz, but I just can't stand the current control scheme, and it seems like this wouldn't be a huge change or option.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd even be more than happy to do this myself, though my coding skills are woefully limited, but perhaps there is a config file I could hack to do this? Any help is appreciated, and thank you very much for the otherwise stellar Port, DJWillis - what little I played with it looked fantastic and is very close to being my ideal portable version of ScummVM!
bRIZZAd

Post by bRIZZAd »

I have started playing with the Wiz port of ScummVM and I have to agree with Illuminerdi. I try to play with the stylus, but I find myself having to switch back to the D-Pad to 'hover' over items as well. On a device like the Wiz with a touchscreen... it would be nice to have a configuration option to change things as Illuminerdi has explained.

Please & Thank-you.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Sorry,

I have not checked the forum in some time and missed these posts. Requests noted, I'll see what I can sort out.

The whole control system for the Wiz could use some overhaul, I took the code over from the GP2X port and that started life for a device that had no touchscreen ;).

Regards,

John
Illuminerdi

Post by Illuminerdi »

DJWillis wrote:Sorry,

I have not checked the forum in some time and missed these posts. Requests noted, I'll see what I can sort out.

The whole control system for the Wiz could use some overhaul, I took the code over from the GP2X port and that started life for a device that had no touchscreen ;).
No worries on the late reply - I'm sure you're super busy with the impending shipment of the Pandora, plus the like 20 other ScummVM ports you do work on ;)

If possible, I'd love to see a control scheme that was somehow user editable (even if it required editing a config file or some other non-ScummVM-internal method), as there is obviously not going to be any one control scheme that everyone could agree on, and even different games would benefit from different methods.

I'd be more than happy to help out on this in any capacity, via beta-ing new versions, or helping out in other ways; as I said, you're a pretty busy guy these days, so I'd love to help lighten the load if you get the free time to tackle this.

Thanks for the reply - and thanks again for all the great work and ports of ScummVM! It continues to be my hands-down favorite OSS project in existence (I *so* can't wait for full SCI support - I've been craving that for ages!) :)
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Illuminerdi,

Just bumping this old thread as I have revisited the Wiz (and Caanoo, and GP2X) control layouts recently.

The latest builds on my site (http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=125) have a simple to use 'Tap Mode' that can be switched to Left/Right or Hover.

It's not quite configurable from a config file or menu (yet) but I hope it's an improvement and gives you the mode switching you need.

John
derboo

Post by derboo »

Left Trigger + Y
Left Trigger + Touchscreen 'Tap'

Those commands are very impractical for left-handed users so far. I know the controls are still somewhat preliminary, just posting to make sure we lefties won't be forgotten :)

It would also be cool to have an option to set the right click to a double-tap.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

derboo wrote:Left Trigger + Y
Left Trigger + Touchscreen 'Tap'

Those commands are very impractical for left-handed users so far. I know the controls are still somewhat preliminary, just posting to make sure we lefties won't be forgotten :)
Would just swapping the Left and Right trigger behaviour in a 'Leftie Mode' be a practical option?

In the short term anyway, I want to redo the control mapping to be user configured but that will take time and I am short on that right now.
derboo wrote: It would also be cool to have an option to set the right click to a double-tap.
Hmmm, had not considered that. I'll ponder it.

John
Illuminerdi

Post by Illuminerdi »

DJWillis wrote:Illuminerdi,

Just bumping this old thread as I have revisited the Wiz (and Caanoo, and GP2X) control layouts recently.

The latest builds on my site (http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=125) have a simple to use 'Tap Mode' that can be switched to Left/Right or Hover.

It's not quite configurable from a config file or menu (yet) but I hope it's an improvement and gives you the mode switching you need.

John
Awesome - thank you SO much for doing that, I can't wait to give it a try! Even preliminary this sounds like a pretty vast improvement, so I can't wait to see where it goes from there. As you said though, you're short on time, so no rush - I'm already very happy with even this progress.

Thanks again!
derboo

Post by derboo »

DJWillis wrote:Would just swapping the Left and Right trigger behaviour in a 'Leftie Mode' be a practical option?
Yeah, that would be fine. A few GP2X ports of other games do similar by simply providing two executables (Abuse and Albion I remember specifically).
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

derboo wrote:
DJWillis wrote:Would just swapping the Left and Right trigger behaviour in a 'Leftie Mode' be a practical option?
Yeah, that would be fine. A few GP2X ports of other games do similar by simply providing two executables (Abuse and Albion I remember specifically).
Not had a chance to get it into the 1.2.0 previews, I'll see what I can do between now and release.