can't find Dig data file! (for mac)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EphemeralToast

can't find Dig data file! (for mac)

Post by EphemeralToast »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't figure out where the Dig data file is on the Mac CD. I've searched this site and still can't figure it out; it seems like there is supposed to be a file clearly named "The Dig Data,"but there is no such file on my CD. I see a folder which is called "The Dig f" (not actually the letter f but that funny italic symbol which I don't know how to type, but anyway) and inside this folder are two more folders, entitled "6 MB" and "8MB." Inside each of those folders are two more folders entitled "PPC" and "68k', and inside each one of THOSE folders is what looks like a data file entitled "The Dig." in other words, there are *four* files which are labeled "The Dig," (plus one extra in the CD main window to launch the game), but none of them says "data"! am I going nuts?

I've copied all of this to my hard drive and I've tried using every one of these folders, including the main "The Dig f" folder, as the game directory in SCUMM VM, but I always get the message "could not find game." am I nuts, or am I missing some totally obvious thing here? thanks in advance.

edit: to be clear, I am using the mac cd with my mac. specifically, OS X 2.8. I am using SCUMM VM 0.8.0a.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

There was a utility in the tools package (available from the Download page) specifically to extract the data required from the Macintosh versions of the games. I don't know if this is still required but it might be worth having a look at. Personally I don't have any of the Macintosh versions (even though I use a Mac) so this is a bit of a guess.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

No extraction utility is required.

For some of the Mac SCUMM games, they made the data files invisible. It should be in the root of your CD, named "The Dig Data". There are various tools that allow you to copy the file anyway, e.g. you could use Terminal.app, or use TinkerTool to switch the Finder to show invisible files, or use some other tool (search on Versiontracker, you'll find something).
EphemeralToast

Post by EphemeralToast »

fingolfin wrote:No extraction utility is required.

For some of the Mac SCUMM games, they made the data files invisible. It should be in the root of your CD, named "The Dig Data". There are various tools that allow you to copy the file anyway, e.g. you could use Terminal.app, or use TinkerTool to switch the Finder to show invisible files, or use some other tool (search on Versiontracker, you'll find something).
criminey. thanks, worked like a charm. I felt like I was taking crazy pills!