MT-32 problem

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

glokidd

Post by glokidd »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
glokidd wrote:the true mt-32 has the same sound as when i use say monkey r from the command line with the orig. executables.
Though, it will not sound as intended without an actual MT-32. Did you try it without "True Roland" as well?
When "True Roland" is left unchecked, ScummVM will translate the MT-32 MIDI to be played on modern wave tables. It most likely would sound much better that way.
yes i noticed that last night while fiddleing around with settings, also, checking GS didnt seem to do much at first, but ultimately seems to add additional depth to the sound. I cant seem to get it to work with day of the tentacle though (oh well i love adlib with this game neways). Thanks for all the help guys, ill make an ScummVM animal crossing pattern in your honor
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

glokidd wrote:I cant seem to get it to work with day of the tentacle though
DOTT and also SAM are composed as GM, and since GS and XG wavetables are GM compatible, there is no need to translate it (unlike the MT-32 tracks), therfore the GS setting has no effect on those games.

Also there is an ealy Adlib only version of DOTT floppy. In case you have that one, you're out of luck.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

another question, what does mixed adlib/midi do? does it, say, allow you to have midi music accompanied by adlib sounds in MI? like doors opening and whatnot. I coldnt seem to hear any difference
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

glokidd wrote:another question, what does mixed adlib/midi do? does it, say, allow you to have midi music accompanied by adlib sounds in MI? like doors opening and whatnot. I coldnt seem to hear any difference
Basically, it's there for exactly that purpose, whenever there is a Adlib version, but no MT-32 nor GM version of a particular sound or music, the Adlib version is played instead of nothing. However with MI, it will not work due to the way the game is scripted. For better music (CD audio) and sound (sampled SFX) support in MI, you might look for the enhanced CD.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

ok thanks for clearing that up, Ive actually had monkey island madness for years as well as the ega and pc gamer vga. Monkey island is pretty much my favorite game of all time as it was the first game i ever beat with no help. Whenever i see a copy i grab it, especially if there is different music and sound
(recently aquired mac version). in fact i thought i would never hear the sounds for MICD again untill i found ScummVM. You guys are my heros
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

glokidd wrote:the true mt-32 has the same sound as when i use say monkey r from the command line with the orig. executables.
Of course it does, since True MT-32 means that ScummVM will NOT translate the MT-32 commands into GM/GS/XG/whatever commands. And that's the default behaviour of the original interpreter as well. Basically, the True MT-32 is only useful if you have (surprise) a true MT-32 ;)

In your case, you HAVE to uncheck the option, so that ScummVM correctly "translates" the MT-32 commands into General MIDI commands (which is the standard format of your synth).

About Tentacle, you probably need to get the Roland Upgrade from Lucas website. In the Support section, look for the Original Titles pull-down menu, and select Maniac Mansion 2. Remember: the Roland Upgrade.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

LogicDeLuxe wrote: Also there is an ealy Adlib only version of DOTT floppy. In case you have that one, you're out of luck.
No, he is not entirely out of luck.

First of all, there was an upgrade coupon in the package to upgrade it with Midi support.

And second, he can download the upgrade here:

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/dott.htm

Regards

Joachim

EDIT: Maaaaan, I'm getting slow with posts again :D
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Glokidd wrote:the true mt-32 has the same sound as when i use say monkey r from the command line with the orig. executables.
just to clear this up, i wasnt complaining, in fact i was cheering a little :D
thanks guys, i actually found that patch shortly after i posted that. I also spend a fair amount of time at the tech support forum at lucasarts(helping people get EMI, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, insert other old LA game here, etc, working on their pcs). Ill check out the patch on sunday when im back at the other house.
thanks again