MT-32 problem

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

glokidd

MT-32 problem

Post by glokidd »

on my old win 98 comp, i have an Aopen AW744 pro (yamaha YMF744 4 ch audio) it has a 64-voice hardware wavetable and a 676 instrument sonidus-xg capital synthesizer. I can use the MPU401 port for MT-32 playback with the original executables, but cat seem to get it to work in ScummVM. The original executables are great and all, but would like the added stability (and graphics filters)that ScummVM provides. When i try to enable true MT-32 from the gui the game just crashes, when i try to start it.
EDIT
this happens with every game i try
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Did you select MIDI music driver on Audio tab? Also do you have anything written on the console? See FAQ on how to find out.

Eugene
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

ScummVM uses the default MIDI device.
Is MPU401 selected in the Windows MIDI mapper as the default device?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

thanks for the tips guys, ill have to check it tonight as my win 98 comp is in a different house completely with no internet. Ill check the console, and make sure MPU401 if the default midi device. when it crashes it displays a highly stretched error message for a fraction of a second in green font.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

glokidd wrote:when it crashes it displays a highly stretched error message for a fraction of a second in green font.
In a green font it's probably the ScummVM console. Run ScummVM from the command line and you should see the error message as plain text.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

ok so i checked the error message and relized i was geting it because i was trying to select Mt- 32 emulation as well at checking true mt-32 emulation.
i also checked whether or not my MPU401 is my selected midi out in multimedia config. and it says DS-XG MPU401 out is selected.
for the hell of it i tried checking the roland gs box instead of true mt-32 (and both at the same time) to no avail. When i try using windows audio under my audio tab i get no sound at all. I also tried using the --native-mt32, and --enable-gs command line parameters.
is it possibe that its trying to conncet to the wrong address or dma? my MPU401 is set at 330h and dma 11.
on a slightly different note, when trying to launch ScummVM in fullscreen mode from dos prompt i get the following error message:
Warning: SDL_SetVideoMode says we can't switch to that mode
works fine windowed though
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Actually, there is no DMA for MPU401. The IRQ shouldn't matter as long as Windows doesn't complain about a hardware conflict.
You didn't wrote, is it a real MT-32 you have connected to the MPU401 port, or is it some device which just claims to be compatible.
If you really have an MT-32, tick "true Roland", in almost any other case, you shouldn't use this option.
Also check that your audio cable is connected. You usually want to connect it to your "line in" on your sound card or mainboard. Also check that the "line in" is activated in the Windows mixer and it is not set to zero volume.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

just to be clear, i dont have an external mt-32 unit. im only trying to get it to work in scummvm because the roland settings on the original executables (monkey r) works extremely well (music, but no sounds) and i would like to take advantage of the additional options of scummvm.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Unless your XG synth is MT-32 compatible (which I doubt), you got it all wrong :)

What you need to do is:

1. Select your XG synth in your Windows MIDI properties
2. Select Windows MIDI driver in ScummVM (audio tab)
3. Leave the True MT-32 unchecked

If it still crashes, I'm clueless.

I can't remember the purpose of the GS switch but I think it has to do with a better drum mapping for some specific games. It won't probably do any good to your XG gear.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Kaminari wrote: I can't remember the purpose of the GS switch but I think it has to do with a better drum mapping for some specific games. It won't probably do any good to your XG gear.
As far as i understand it, gs-mode tries to reconfigure a gs wavetable compatible soundcard to match the original mt32 sound as closely as possible.

So it's a good option when using non-mt32 wavetable soundcards.

At least, thats how I understand it.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

ok soo i started looking for an MT-32 unit on ebay, im hoping to get one next month (ive bought my limit on games this time around). i just figured that it would work because it does with the games original exe. last night i tried and tried and just couldnt get my windows midi audio setting to work in scummvm (just in case i also tried 0.7.1, and 0.8.0). Tonight ill try to get those setting written down.
thanks again for all the help
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

also this http://global.aopen.com.tw/Products/sound/aw744pro.htm
is the soundcard itself. just in case it helps for getting the windows midi working. ( i can use my XG soft-mixer to play midi files so i know it works)
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

I take it you've installed the latest drivers for your card and you've selected the right MIDI port in your Windows Multimedia properties (Sound and Audio Devices). Can you play MIDI files in Windows Media Player? In which case, your MIDI card should work in ScummVM as well.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

ok i figured out what my dumb mistake was.To fix it i went back to multimedia properties and swithed my midi from the MPU401 to my hardware XG synth.
now windows midi works perfectly, as well as true mt-32 box and roland gs.
the true mt-32 has the same sound as when i use say monkey r from the command line with the orig. executables. sweet. thank you all for you help.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

glokidd wrote:the true mt-32 has the same sound as when i use say monkey r from the command line with the orig. executables.
Though, it will not sound as intended without an actual MT-32. Did you try it without "True Roland" as well?
When "True Roland" is left unchecked, ScummVM will translate the MT-32 MIDI to be played on modern wave tables. It most likely would sound much better that way.