Music for Monkey Island 1 doesn't work in ScummVM.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AssButt

Music for Monkey Island 1 doesn't work in ScummVM.

Post by AssButt »

Help appreciated.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

what os are you running? what version of MI are you using? what version of ScummVM?
AssButt

Post by AssButt »

Windows XP, I don't know, and 0.7.0.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

AssButt wrote:Windows XP, I don't know, and 0.7.0.
"Version of MI" means primarily which operating system the game was originally for (PC, Mac, ...?) and which language (English, German, ...?) it's in and, in some cases, which variant of the game (16-colour, 256-colour, ...?). The most common versions are, of course, the ones most likely to be well supported by ScummVM because these are the versions that most of the developers themselves own.

Assuming that it's the English PC version, that still leaves three possibilities: The 16-colour (EGA) floppy version, the 256-colour (VGA) floppy version, and the 256-colour (VGA) CD version. I haven't played the EGA version myself, but from the screenshots I've seen it should be easily recognizable because it looks... well, ugly. For most noticeable difference between the VGA versions is that the floppy version has 12 verbs (Open, Close, Push, Pull, Walk to, Pick up, Talk to, Give, Use, Look at, Turn on, Turn off) and uses text to draw the inventory items. The CD version has 9 verbs (Give, Open, Close, Pick up, Look at, Talk to, Use, Push, Pull) and uses pictures to draw the inventory items.

The CD version uses audio tracks on the CD for the music. ScummVM should be able to play it directly from the CD, though if you have more than one CD-ROM ScummVM may need some help to figure out which one to play the music from. A more convenient way is to rip the audio tracks to your hard disk, as described in the README file. The EGA and VGA floppy versions use MIDI or Adlib music. The Adlib music, at least, should work in all cases.

By the way, 0.7.0 is quite old. 0.8.2 should be released soon.
AssButt

Post by AssButt »

Okay, it's the English CD version. I still can't find the music tracks in order to convert them, however.
Qvist

Post by Qvist »

I think this thread explains it: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=778
AssButt

Post by AssButt »

Okay, I ripped the audio files into .wav format. Can anyone recommend a good .wav to .mp3 converter?

Nevermind, I got the files to convert to .mp3. However, it still isn't working.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

AssButt wrote:Okay, I ripped the audio files into .wav format. Can anyone recommend a good .wav to .mp3 converter?

Nevermind, I got the files to convert to .mp3. However, it still isn't working.
What did you name the files? I'm asking because the most common error people make is that they misname the files. They're supposed to be named track1.mp3, track2.mp3, ..., track24.mp3.
AssButt

Post by AssButt »

Okay, it's working now. Thanks.