Broken Sword 1 crashes on the 5800XpressMusic

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

orikagan

Broken Sword 1 crashes on the 5800XpressMusic

Post by orikagan »

...every few minutes or so, or when i try to skip a lot of dialog. i already tried disabling the autosave, but that didn't help, and i tried different versions of scummvm.

any help?

thanks!!
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Hi,

I get the exact same problems with Broken Sword. I disabled the autosave, also tried disabling the Speech, which I heard solves some problems, but its still there.

I read that it would be a problem with the audio encoding, which in this case is in OGG format, but i've got other games in OGG that work perfectly. I'm not sure whatelse to test now, but would love to get BS1 working.

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

if the only problem is the ogg compression, just copy the original files and not the compressed ones.
orikagan

Post by orikagan »

is there any way to revert the ogg files to the original uncompressed file? ill be hard for to get the originals again.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I don't see how that would be hard, unless you pirated the game, in which case i can't help you anyways.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Hi There,

I just wanted to update that the uncompressed version seems to work fine, except that the original cutscene files do not work. You need to download the .dxa cutscenes here, as well as the .ogg sound files for the cutscenes, as the ones with .fla (flac format) prevents the game starting.

I suspect the compressed speech files are causing the issue, as clearly ogg files play fine within cutscenes, uncompressed speech files seem good. I've tried this with both broken sword 1 and 2 and it works great :)
3HeadsMonkey

Post by 3HeadsMonkey »

Hi guys, I am new on this forum... I wanted to play BrSw1 but I have the problem about the cutscene at the beginning... phunimator, I didn't understand anything about how you solve it!!! can you help me? I am not an expert in the matter, I just go crazy for old games! And I love Scumm U_U

phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Hi There,

Sorry for the late reply, basically you need all the files from the original CD's put in the relevant directories in one place. Remove the cutscene and corresponding sound files for the cutscenes, and download the .dxa and .ogg cutscene files from the scummvm.org downloads section.

Put all that in the main directory, and it should work. The problem seems to be if you have compressed speech.
orikagan

Post by orikagan »

ok i reinstalled the game and used the uncompressed version and it worked great. thanks =]

now i have a new problem with BS2. i did the same thing, and i played out perfect, but after the exploding boat scene it asks me it insert CD2. i have the two CDs in separate folders on my 5800, so i can add only on of the into scummvm. any idea on how to get around this?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

orikagan wrote:i have the two CDs in separate folders on my 5800, so i can add only on of the into scummvm. any idea on how to get around this?
Can't you put all the files in the same folder? That's how you're expected to do it with the desktop version of ScummVM. (You have to rename some files so ScummVM can tell which file comes from which CD, but that should all be described in the README file.)
orikagan

Post by orikagan »

thanks mate. sometimes the solutions are so simple... you just need to look around. =]