Sound on the 5800

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hinrodath

Sound on the 5800

Post by hinrodath »

I am having trouble getting the sound to run on the 5800 for each game that I have tried.

The graphics and controls all seem to be fine, touch screen keyboard is workable =)

As a complete beginner to ScummVM (Only use it on my 5800) I would appreciate it if someone could detail the best way to get sound running.

I currently have the S60v3 Symbian 1.0.0rc1 version of ScummVM. I added 'The Dig', Indy 3, Indy 4 and Monkey Island 1 to the list of games, but I can't get sound for any of them.

The subtitles work ok, it is playable but sound would make it perfect! I tried playing around with the options in the root menu of ScummVM, but no luck. I tried all frequencies of sound available for each game, from 8hz upwards, tried turning the MIDI options off and on, but nothing seems to yeild any positive results.

I've read in some other threads that some people have these games running smoothly, with some sound working. Could you guys let me know how to get the settings right?

By the way, I have the FMTOWNS sound version of these games on the mobile, but I have tried the .ogg (which Nokia doesn't support). I tried the .wav version too, but no luck....

Thanks in advance.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Try opening the side keybaord and press CTRL. press the Up arrow a few times (about 10 just to be sure). press CTRL again. Play game.
hinrodath

Post by hinrodath »

Mataku wrote:Try opening the side keybaord and press CTRL. press the Up arrow a few times (about 10 just to be sure). press CTRL again. Play game.
Hi thanks for the response, I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately, I've tried this and I still cannot get any sound.

Is there anything specific which needs to be done to the type of sound files used or the settings in the Audio or MIDI option menu?

Or any other suggestions?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Older games use FM emulation for music so thats not really an enconding issue. Tap square to get virtual keyboard. Tap Cur to get cursor mode. Tap Ctrl, tap up arrow, tap ctrl again for volume.
hinrodath

Post by hinrodath »

Thanks for your response.

This worked for certain games, only the Monkey Island 1 didnt work.

I found that the Sound on 'The Dig' and COMI start well in the cut scene at the beginning, but breaks out after the game becomes playable. Obviously, the subtitles work, so it's still playable - but still, it would be great to find out how to get this working with full sound.

Maybe this is down to the processing power of the 5800, which might struggle.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

hinrodath wrote:
Mataku wrote:Try opening the side keybaord and press CTRL. press the Up arrow a few times (about 10 just to be sure). press CTRL again. Play game.
Hi thanks for the response, I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately, I've tried this and I still cannot get any sound.
Anotherguest wrote: Tap Ctrl, tap up arrow, tap ctrl again for volume.
hinrodath wrote:
This worked for certain games,
he told you exactly what i did, but when he said it, it worked?

I found that the Sound on 'The Dig' and COMI start well in the cut scene at the beginning, but breaks out after the game becomes playable. Obviously, the subtitles work, so it's still playable - but still, it would be great to find out how to get this working with full sound.

Maybe this is down to the processing power of the 5800, which might struggle.
"The dig" only has sound when it's the original files, and not a compressed version. CMI will crash if it's uncompressed, and will be silent if is (but won't crash). So, in the meantime the only way to play CMI is using a compressed version that will be silent. MI1 has CD music, so unless you've ripped it and put the mp3\ogg files with the game files, you won't get any music.
hinrodath

Post by hinrodath »

'he told you exactly what i did, but when he said it, it worked?'

Yes, i'm an idiot- self confessed, but thanks for pointing it out to me.

Anyway thanks for your time responding, it has been really helpful.